S&W M&P 15A Range Report

This is a discussion on S&W M&P 15A Range Report within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After shooting about 200 rounds with no problems I think I spent my money well. The rifle has all "mil spec" parts with nice fit, ...

Thread: S&W M&P 15A Range Report

S&W M&P 15A Range Report

After shooting about 200 rounds with no problems I think I spent my money well. The rifle has all "mil spec" parts with nice fit, and finish. With a Troy rear BUIS, and zeroed from the factory, nice touch. The bolt carrier key is staked, some thing that was not the case when Stag was making the parts for S&W.

S&W is now milling the lower, and upper at their factory.

Other than changing the grip, and trigger guard, and at some point adding a light. I will keep it in stock form.

It is well worth a look if a AR is in your future.
    Attached Images
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

2. Remove Ads

It is Close but not all milspec parts as you will read on a lot of the ar forums

here is a chart Remember Colts are Milspec Totally(minor exception on the pins so that M-16 parts are not easy to install) so that how the chart works,.. thanks to od who posted this else where..

Been thinking on a smith myself a flat top with maybe the quad rail if i cant find the lefty stag i would like

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    There a lot of privately owned AR type rifles in my group. The S&Ws have been at the upper end coming in a close 3rd behind Noveske and LMT. The S&W's shoot really well and save for an out of spec mag catch on one, they have been problem free. They are a great value at the $1000 price point.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I do believe the barrel is the same now as the Colt.

I fondled the 15T with the Troy railed handgurad, at the local candy store. But it was about $300 more then the 15A. Figured that is almost 1K rounds of ammo, and I just don't see my self needing that many rails.
    Aaron

I also agree i probley wont buy one with a rail i will add the raill its cheaper

I am looking to get my first AR in the near future, and am wondering if the fixed front sight gets in the way of any opticts like you have on yours. Also would it be easy to change that to a flip up front sight as I also want to put a quad rail on the one I buy.
    The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference-they deserve a place of honor with all that is good. -George Washington

Not to hi-jack a thread, but what does all that crap in that chart actually mean?

Quote Originally Posted by UNDATC View Post
    I am looking to get my first AR in the near future, and am wondering if the fixed front sight gets in the way of any opticts like you have on yours. Also would it be easy to change that to a flip up front sight as I also want to put a quad rail on the one I buy.
    you can see them but depending on the optic you can co witness the irons though the optic I ordered a Stag Arms today that has the flattop with same front style sight ..

Quote Originally Posted by HKManP2000 View Post
    Not to hi-jack a thread, but what does all that crap in that chart actually mean?
    Its a Comparsion Chart how close the gun is to miltary Spec.. And the Colt is the tops that all other are compared to .. Does it truly matter depends are you kicking in doors with a tac team ??? no then well buy what ya like,,

I went with a stag does it have a lot of stuff on that chart .. at that time the chart was made no .. but they are pretty much the only game in town that makes a lefty AR now that Dpms has stopped to revamp

Quote Originally Posted by UNDATC View Post
    You could get the M&P15T model with the quad rail, and flip up front sight. Or you could put the quad rail with integrated rail gas block. This way the sight is still on the barrel. That is how my AR-10 is setup.

As far as the front post getting in the way of the optic, for me it dose not. You are focusing on the target with both eyes open so the front sight just blends in. It takes some getting used to. Now if you close your week eye when you are doing precession shots it will be more pronounced.
    Aaron

I've had an MP15 for about a year and have put +/- 3000 rds through it..not a single malfunction (or much cleaning) and highly accurate too! Great weapon...

VIP Member
    The S&W's not a bad choice...enjoy her.

BTW, here's the original post by rob_s on m4carbine.net where he has the "Chart": Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands - M4Carbine.net Forums

Very interesting read.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Glad to see the good reports coming in as I've got an M&P15 in layaway now. I went with the std., A3 configuration. For mine, I'm planning on adding a Magpul Ergo grip and a light mount - http://www.commandarms.com/ makes a bayonet mount adapter that looks like it might be handy for a Surefire mount.

How's the stock trigger on the M&P? Would there be any real benefit in adding a two stage trigger for basic range shooting?
    Jack

Links