Lever Scout/House gun for the wheelgun nut

This is a discussion on Lever Scout/House gun for the wheelgun nut within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have long thought that there was much to be had by having a system of systems approach for my defensive firearms needs. That is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lever Scout/House gun for the wheelgun nut

Lever Scout/House gun for the wheelgun nut

I have long thought that there was much to be had by having a system of systems approach for my defensive firearms needs.

That is a $100 way of saying I want one ammunition in my long and short guns.

So when I built my AR I used a CAVARMS lower so that I could convert to .45ACP using grease gun mags, of course the best solution is to have a long and short gun that use the same mags i.e. beretta storm and noone makes a mag block that uses my XD mags yet.

So then I thought, my primary house gun has been and probably always will be a wheelgun so what long gun can I use to match that?

Then I caught a thread on another site talking about a lever scout, and I said "PERFECT"

So what do y'all think about a .357 lever gun set up like the picture (more or less), probably with an Aimpoint T1 instead of the longer scope. Probably a marlin 1894CP (maybe not the ported one). I might be convinced to do a .45COLT, but I am thinking that in a SHTF situation that every backwoods corner store has .38s and .357s on the shelf.

I have an older winchester thuty thuty that was the house gun when I lived in the woods in bear country (small bears), but I would never think of modding it with a rail and optics and other stuff. Its too nice in original configuration.

Anyway, help me out. Good idea, good execution? or which way should I go?

Thanks,

CPTD
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

In a thread like two or three weeks ago I was suggesting just this out of the box thinking old school HD solution.
    I'd suggested a model 1894 Winchester or Marlin 1894 'Cowboy' chambered in .357/.38.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post586792

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    I like the idea... and I would stick with the 38/357 or whatever your revolver is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I am doing the same thing with .45: two 1911's and a .45 carbine. If I gotta go, I grab & go. I'll grab my .30-06, 12 ga if I have time/room. I would go with the .38/.357 combination if I wasn't so deep into .45's................. Good thinking!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Great thinking, I just wouldn't ruin that rifle with optics on it. Maybe I am just old fashioned when it comes to the marlins.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

BAC
    I've always liked the idea of a lever-action and revolver sharing a caliber, but I've always leaned towards .45 Colt myself. I guess .357 or .38 would make more sense. I can't say I ever thought to make a scout setup for a lever-action, though.

-B

I see the point about not "ruining" the gun with optics to a degree. The issue for me anyway is that all of my long guns, except shottys, have optics of some sort with BUIS on all but my varminting rifle. That said, optics on my SHTF gun makes more sense to me than not.

Sniper58: what .45 carbine are you running?

CPTD

I have 2 .44Mag Carbins, one Marlin and one Winchester. I also have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44Mag. I would like to find a Model 29 or a Model 629 to go with the Carbins.

Having a rifle/handgun combo maks a lot of sense. I have a Winchester 94 44Mag outfitted with a 25mm Tasco Red Dot. My handgun equilvant is a 629 four inch. Both are in my gun safe and a Wilderness belt with two speedloader pouches, a Bianchi cylcone crossdraw holster, extra ammo and a customized Buck frontiersman fixed blade is just inside the door to the gun room.

Administrator
    I dont think an optics equipt self defense gun makes sense at all, with the exception of maybe a decent red dot type of thing if you have an eyesight problem.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I am in the process of putting a williams receiver sight on my Marlin .44 mag levergun now...

same idea and the peep type sight helps us old codgers see the front sight better

I have a Winchester in 45 Colt along with a Blackhawk, Redhawk and S&W 25-5. Using "Ruger" only loads the 45 Colt will drop just about anything. Most of my 45 Colt ammo is more potent than standard factory loads but less than full blown magnumized "Ruger only" loads.

I am trying to decide on a rifle, and everyone has good points for a handgun cartridge(same ammo), and a rifle round(if your going to carry a long gun, get a bullet bigger then a handgun), soooo I have no idea what I want.
    I was thinking about a .357 levergun, and a small .357, or a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 and Glock 17/19.
    But reading around, a 30-30 or a 45/70 lever gun would give me a big jump in range. Instead of out to 150 yards, I may be ok out to 300 yards with a good optic.
    Maybe I should just get a Thompson Center Contender in .308, one shot then run away. :)
    Unfortunatly I only have about $400 to spend. If I had say $1000, then I would buy 2 rifles.
    Thanks for any and all help, right now a lever action in .357 sounds good. But I like the folding ability of the Sub 2000. Argggghhh!!

Why would you need 300 yd. range out of a scout/house gun?
    That goes against the point. Quick, easy to deploy, close to mid range effective, and best of all shared ammo between rifle and revolver.
    If you need/want long range rifle capability then get a rifle but as much will not be good/safe for close range home defense thus not solving your primary desire.

Look into the Marlin 1894C (not the Cowboy or Cowboy II) carbine chambered specifically in .38/.357.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    I use a M1 carbine for our main HD gun. Ballisticly similar to a .357mag

I see a real advantage for common calibers between pistol and carbine.

I would at most put a Red Dot on it to help in tergeting but don't see the need for magnification on a HD gun.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links