Which AR-15 to buy?

Which AR-15 to buy?

This is a discussion on Which AR-15 to buy? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Have you guys read this? If not, what do you guys think of it? So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which AR-15 to buy?

Have you guys read this? If not, what do you guys think of it?

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com
    G19
    G26

its all right but some of the point dont apply to a plain shooter 1 in 7 is not a must 1 in 9 is just fine

M4 feedramps well they are needed if its fullauto ..

But over all pretty good stuff

Lead Moderator
    Lots of good advice, but like Bud said, unless you are LE or going to battle with it, many of the specifics are not necessary. 1/9 twist works well for most ammo.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Its a little opinionated. Lots of facts in there too. I guess somebody likes CMMG...I have no personal experience with them. I've been issued Colts, FNs, and I have a Noveske. I'm 3/3 with satisfaction.

Austin

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    The article seems to cover all of the major points. The buyer/shooter needs to to make an honest assessment of what they are looking for and what their needs are. Are you going to rely on the weapon to save your life or to just knock over a few metal targets? I am very much a buy it once guy. With that being said, I think that everyone should buy the most rifle for their buck. Colt, LMT and Noveske are the top dogs as far as quality. All are up in the 1300-1500 dollar range. They are worth it! My pick is the Noveske N4.

The S&W MP-15 series comes in next at about the $1000 price point. Stag is about the same as is Saber Defense. RRA and Bushmaster are in that price bracket but lack some features that are important. Chrome lined (NOT chrome-moly) barrels and chambers, correctly staked gas keys etc.

I only included the direct gas rifles. There are some new gas piston systems out there but they are pricey.

Shop around and see what meets your needs. Be honest and avoid making a choice based on what some "expert" in a gun magazine tells you that you need.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

All i will say is i went Stag for my second AR course they are pretty much the only game in town for a lefty ar .. at least the only game with a real price range

How does the left handed specific AR work? Is it just a mirror image of the standard version?
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    How does the left handed specific AR work? Is it just a mirror image of the standard version?
    Yup, LH bolt, ejection port, carrier. The dust cover flips up instead of down though. I really like my LH Stag too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

haven't got mine yet so can only go off what rocky says

We looked at the Stags in the past as we have a left handed group member. At that time, they were having some delivery time issues so we went with Colt, added an ambi fire control selector for out lefty and drove on. They are very nice rifles.

Lead Moderator
    The Stag lowers are no different than any other AR. I think you will really appreciate a LH upper, Bud.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

BAC
    Excellent information, and is pretty consistent with what I've learned thus far in my own foray into BRD.

I'm also a fan of CMMG, but have only fondled/used them and not owned them. Good quality stuff, but some of their options have changed since that guy's thread. They are the only ones currently commercial-making the setup I want (darn near a custom job), and for a great price. My next purchase, especially if the gubment wants to send me $600, is going to be a CMMG upper. I'd love for Noveske to make the rifle I want, but they don't appear to offer "custom" jobs outside of their normal product line and I'd be terrified of the price regardless.

He doesn't explain the front sight base enough, though, since there's a metric ton of options out there.

-B

The front sight base does two things. First, it is the point at which the gas is bled from the barrel and into the gas tube. The front sight bas is aligned over these gas ports and is attached to the barrel with a taper pin. The gas tube is pinned into the bottom of the front sight base. This feeds the gas back to the bolt carrier group.

Secondly, the front sight base holds the front sigh pin. The "F" has the pin mounted slightly higher in the base than the commercial models. Most rear sights are of a height that works best with the "F" front sight base.

Some rifles use a lengthened rail system. Most of these will have a separate part to connect the gas tube and to hold the front sight. A "low profile gas block" can fit under the rail and does the gas tube connection job. Most of these guns have a front sight that is attached to the forward part of the rail system and "flips up" into place for use.

There are other variants as well but the above is one of the more common. Noveske does have other assembled uppers that are not listed on the website. Give him a call and see what he has. Mine was not listed but was available for immediate shipment.

well its a good article, oppinionated but alot of info, for me if i was going out today i would buy a Sig 556, not a true AR but a way better design, i have 3 of them and am very happy with them.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

I guess I'm 'low-rent' with my Bushmaster M4. I love it nonetheless. I have yet to throw a grand or more on any one firearm, and I imagine about the only way I ever would might be for a 50 cal Barret or something. My bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links