Bushmaster/Masada

This is a discussion on Bushmaster/Masada within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just heard that Bushmaster purchased the exclusive rights to make the Masada. Has anybody else heard this? If so this could be very good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bushmaster/Masada

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Bushmaster/Masada

I just heard that Bushmaster purchased the exclusive rights to make the Masada. Has anybody else heard this? If so this could be very good or very bad!

WANT MY MASADA
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I guess not a rumor Bushmaster and Magpul Team on Advanced Weapon | HomelandSecurityLeader.com

Bushmaster and Magpul Team on Advanced Weapon
    January 31st, 2008 . by HSLEADER

From Bushmaster Release

Bushmaster Firearms International, LLC (BFI) announced today that it has signed an exclusive license deal with Magpul Industries Corp. for the production, future development, and sales of Magpul’s prototype MASADA weapon system.

The Bushmaster ACR (Adaptive Combat Rifle) will initially be offered in 5.56 NATO, available for law enforcement and civilian purchase second quarter 2008. This release will be followed by military ACR versions in the 3rd quarter of 2008.

Without government funding or outside influence of any kind, the Masada concept was developed from scratch in Boulder, Colorado by Magpul’s Design Group. The Masada concept was first shown publicly at the 2007 Shot Show and its success prompted Magpul to spend a year redesigning the system for production.

The result is the ACR (Adaptive Combat Rifle) which keeps the fundamentals of the Masada concept with added advanced features such as firing pin block and true ambidextrous charging handle.

Among the ACR’s key features are a gas piston operating system, tool-less quick change barrel, multi-adjustable folding stock with integrated storage, and backward compatibility with a number of AR15/M16 parts. Due to similar operating controls, user transition from the M16 series of weapons is easily facilitated with minimal re-training.

The Bushmaster ACR will initially be available in 3 SKUS: Standard Carbine with fixed stock, Entry Carbine with folding stock, and Special Purpose Rifle with Precision Rifle Stock. Live fire demonstration and test and evaluations beginning in the end of March to qualified law enforcement, federal government agencies.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I'm not sure what to think... is this good or bad?

JT
    Why would it be bad? Other than them not usnig the name "Masada".
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I think it's a pretty good deal for civilian consumers....I say "Bring it on!"

Wayne

I think it's ugly. For the msrp they are asking, I'd much rather have a LWRC.

...and you do!

I imagine Magpul knew demand would be greater than they could keep up with, and had to team up with somebody. There are a lot worse companies they could have picked, and only a few better. Chances are the "better" ones said no. Just my opinion. I made it all up.

Austin

This is a very smart play on the side of MagPul, and Bushmaster.
    Bushmaster stock goes up big time, as does MagPul.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Why would it be bad? Other than them not usnig the name "Masada".
    I am not quite sure that naming a weapon after a place famous for a mass-suicide is the best course of action.

To me it would be the same as naming a pistol Jonestown.

Regardless if it only had a price around $600 then it could be on my list....
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Agreed I've not been a fan of the name either, especially one after the premise of the real Masada.

Masada

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Whats in a name? Masada........... It's all a matter of perspective. How do you think the Romans would feel about it?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Lead Moderator
    Lets get back on topic guys.
    Probably a good thing Bushmaster has gotten the rights to produce the gun. They have experience in making guns and seem to build a quality firearm.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Interesting! First I've heard of this. It appears I have some surfing to do.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    I am not quite sure that naming a weapon after a place famous for a mass-suicide is the best course of action.

To me it would be the same as naming a pistol Jonestown.

Regardless if it only had a price around $600 then it could be on my list....
    From Magpul's website...

The Masada Name

The name Masada comes from the battle of Masada where the Roman X Legion
    laid siege to the Jews in 72 AD. The fortress stood on top of a plateau and had a
    secure source of fresh water. Because of this, the Romans were forced to build a
    ramp to allow their formations to advance up to the fortress without breaking
    ranks. When the ramp was nearly complete, the Jewish defenders decided to
    end their existence rather than become the inevitable slaves of the Roman
    Empire. The citizens of Masada left their food out in plain sight to show the
    Romans that they were in no danger starving and through this act of defiance
    they have defined the nature of controlling one’s own destiny.

Magpul Industries is not Jewish owned or Israeli backed, however Magpul has
    always found the story of the Masada as a bold example of defiance.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

BAC
    The "rumors" are true as far as I've been able to tell. SHOT 08 brought with it the announcement that Magpul sold the rights for the MASADA to Bushmaster, who would be selling it under the name ACR (Adaptive Combat Rifle). It has apparently been improved from the Magpul version (internals), and the magic number I've seen most is $1400.

Damn. Not what I wanted. I'm worried Cerberus is going to try to buy Magpul too. I like Magpul, they don't need any corporate overhead.

Edit: Wow, already a wikipedia up.

-B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links