New Hi-Point 995 / Setup

New Hi-Point 995 / Setup

This is a discussion on New Hi-Point 995 / Setup within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Pics first for text reference. Before: http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...0201081524.jpg After: http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...0203080103.jpg Before/After: http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...0203080102.jpg --------------------------------------------------- Found it on the ole' GB .com for $164. Found the accessories here: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool New Hi-Point 995 / Setup

Pics first for text reference.

Before: http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...0201081524.jpg

After: http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...0203080103.jpg

Before/After: http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...0203080102.jpg
    ---------------------------------------------------

Found it on the ole' GB .com for $164. Found the accessories here: COMBATHUNTING.COM Official Website - Combat Optical Super Store Rifle Scopes Quality Hunting, Shooting, Camping and Outdoor Gear All On Sale At Competitive Prices. | This is my first carbine/semi-auto rifle.

The ATI stock is what sold me on the 995 to begin with. I'd looked at the Hi-Point a long time ago when I was considering a Beretta Storm, and decided that 1. Was too ugly, and 2. I liked the Storm. From the Storm idea I jumped into a bolt action .223, considering 9mm Storm prices have gone insane (.40s are very reasonable, budsgunshop.com has a sale right now for 5 and a quarter), then back to the 995 when I found all the accessories available for it - ON THE CHEAP.

** I have a 9mm pistol, and keeping with the same caliber for 2 CQB guns is ideal. **

I must say that assembling the stock took MAJOR elbow grease, and more heartache/blistered hands than I would have ever preferred. The entire stock needs random sanding, as the mold cut leaves paper-cut sized plastic all over the place, and a few pieces restrict movement on the slide without further sanding. However, that said - I would have to say that I'm very pleased with the overall outcome. I'll provide range details when I get that far. (I need to stock up on some ammo before I even consider taking a carbine to the range.)

Accessories (All from Combathunting.com 50-80% off sale):
    1) ATI FIberforce Stock, $46
    2) Rubber Buttpad, $9
    3) AIM Red-Dot Scope, $29
    4) Tactical Rails (not installed yet), $8

Total cost of 995 setup w/ Shipping: ~$330
    ---------------------------------------------------

Future Upgrades:
    1) 4 more mags, $13 ea
    2) DuraCoat, $ ??
    3) Carrying Case
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

Hi-point

Nice job....is there anyway to leave the original front sight on there when you change stocks if you did'nt want to use optics?

John

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Very nice! Now you just need to shoot it - A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by bassbones View Post
    Nice job....is there anyway to leave the original front sight on there when you change stocks if you did'nt want to use optics?

John
    You can leave the front site on, but not the rear. Therefore I saw it useless and took it off. It is very easy to take the front site off, 1 basic allen screw and your in business.

If you don't want to use optics, the gun comes with great front/rear sites. That large hump in pic #1 near the rear is an adjustable MOA peep sight that is very nice and accurate.

Hi-point

So.....you cant use the ATI stock with the factory sights?

John

Quote Originally Posted by bassbones View Post
    So.....you cant use the ATI stock with the factory sights?

John
    Yea you can, but when you put the rail on for a scope/sight in the rear - you have to remove the peep sight.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Very nice!!! I've definitely added the 40-95b to my list of "wants",and regret not getting it when the salesman offered a discount (went in for a JCP9,..)

I'm kinda sketchy about changing the stock unless I had a chance to hold one with the ATI stock first b/c I really like the way the original one feels.

Does that affect warrenty at all?

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Very nice!!! I've definitely added the 40-95b to my list of "wants",and regret not getting it when the salesman offered a discount (went in for a JCP9,..)

I'm kinda sketchy about changing the stock unless I had a chance to hold one with the ATI stock first b/c I really like the way the original one feels.

Does that affect warrenty at all?
    The original stock would have to be put back on the gun if I were to send the entire thing in for any work (Which would suck, but it's 2 screws). However, that said - they're LIFETIME warranty works like this (whether your the 1st or 100th owner), you call them up, tell them what you need, and they send you the part no questions asked. If the gun needs work, you ship it to them and the work gets done (based out of Ohio).

The original stock does feel great when you pick it up, however, so does the ATI with 1 difference: the foregrip is far superior on the ATI. If you notice the foregrip on the original stock, it's molded inward, whereas the ATI is smoothed 'round. -Personal preferance really...

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Cool, thanks for the reply. Looks nice either way,...Im jealous

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Lead Moderator
    Looks good, wonder if you could buy a back up iron sight to fit on the rail behind the optic?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Looks good, wonder if you could buy a back up iron sight to fit on the rail behind the optic?
    I think that would only work if you had a holo-sight or a very short RedDot sight. My scope takes up the entire rail system... It's not a very long sight either.

kpw
    I like that setup. For a cheapo shooter, mine eats everything. I put a red dot and a laser on it, the kids love it.

KPW, have you fed the steel cased Wolf through it? -If yes, how'd they fare?

Also, have you tried the ProMags in it? I figured on going straight factory, but if the 15 rd'ers work great then that may be the better choice..

kpw
    Mercalf, I haven't shot any Wolf ammo through it. I shot a bunch of it in .40 and .45 a few years back and it was extremely dirty so I've shyed away from it since. Might be better these days but I don't know. My Hi Point has eaten any HP, including Corbon's stubby 115gr. It survived a blown case and blew the mag out with some overly frisky 147 LFP handloads. It's probably digested a couple of thousand rounds of WWB and S&B ball over the last couple of years. The kids will shoot it until their thumbs are sore from loading mags. I wish they made a .22, it would be cheaper on me. I haven't tried the 15 rounders but I'd like to.

Thanks kpw.

I'm looking at a Ruger 10/22 for my next project for the same reason. Though the cost of .22 is going up a few dollars a box because of the high demand with all of the 1911 conversions, it's still rediculously cheap compared to any milsurp round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links