Considering an AK - Page 2

Considering an AK

This is a discussion on Considering an AK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; BlackJack: I have been a fan of both AK and SKS rifles since having the 1960's. I agree that more expensive isn't always better. I'd ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BlackJack:
    I have been a fan of both AK and SKS rifles since having the 1960's.
    I agree that more expensive isn't always better.
    I'd advise you to find an older SAR1 Romanian AK, check it carefully and buy it. Spend the extra money on magazines and ammo, maybe replacement trigger group later on. I'd avoid something that was assembled from flats, rather get a production rifle, even from Century. I have never had problems with their AK's.
    I have owned two of these(SAR1's) and they are excellent performers. They do everything an AK is supposed to do and nothing more, and both were perfect shooters for me.
    I used surplus East Block military mags, usually Wolf HP or SP ammo for defence, cheap stuff for practice.
    Forget scopes, etc-AK's are best from the factory without aftermarket "improvements". Lots of people make lots of money on these aftermarked parts, none of them are necessary. I don't even recommend buffers.
    Find a basic Romainian AK in good working condition, buy a sling, mags and ammo, download a manual, and shoot it for a few months.
    That's all you need.

Enjoy it.

mark

I purchased a Yugo made AK this past summer and really like it. I looked at the Romainian AK's and the Yugo's just seemed to me to be better made - just sturdier and made better. Never has jammed or malfunctioned in any manner - it's a breeze to use and couldn't be any happier with it. If I remember correctly, I paid a little over $400 for it this past summer. Also, I don't have any rails or gadgets on it - just a nice straightforward AK-47. I also have an Yugo SKS and I'm having a grand time getting the cosmoline off of it.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

A good source of information on AK's. The prices are somewhat outdated but there is a lot of good common sense on this site.

Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles
    Life is too short to be serious!

I have a Romanian WASR-10 AK type. It's a great rifle in my opinion. Have put over a 1,000 rounds through it and not one single problem feeding/cycling/ejecting. It's accurate enough and plenty tough/reliable. I bought it with SAW grip, telecoping AR type stock and rail forend, its quite nice looking. And they included the original wood parts too. I think I paid about $450 for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by dogngun View Post
    BlackJack:
    I have been a fan of both AK and SKS rifles since having the 1960's.
    I agree that more expensive isn't always better.
    I'd advise you to find an older SAR1 Romanian AK, check it carefully and buy it. Spend the extra money on magazines and ammo, maybe replacement trigger group later on. I'd avoid something that was assembled from flats, rather get a production rifle, even from Century. I have never had problems with their AK's.
    I have owned two of these(SAR1's) and they are excellent performers. They do everything an AK is supposed to do and nothing more, and both were perfect shooters for me.
    I used surplus East Block military mags, usually Wolf HP or SP ammo for defence, cheap stuff for practice.
    Forget scopes, etc-AK's are best from the factory without aftermarket "improvements". Lots of people make lots of money on these aftermarked parts, none of them are necessary. I don't even recommend buffers.
    Find a basic Romainian AK in good working condition, buy a sling, mags and ammo, download a manual, and shoot it for a few months.
    That's all you need.

Enjoy it.

mark
    I agree with almost everything you said, dogngun.
    I'm very happy with my Romanian AK. I built it, a couple of years ago, from a parts kit, a flat that I bent and other compliance parts I picked up at gun shows. I refinished the wood furniture and it looks very nice. Accuracy is good and it's a whole lot of fun to shoot. Total cost was about $160.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    I agree with almost everything you said, dogngun.
    I'm very happy with my Romanian AK. I built it, a couple of years ago, from a parts kit, a flat that I bent and other compliance parts I picked up at gun shows. I refinished the wood furniture and it looks very nice. Accuracy is good and it's a whole lot of fun to shoot. Total cost was about $160.
    How does that work? Do you have to transfer the flat via FFL? Any special paperwork?

What kind of equipment did you need to bend it and then assemble?
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    How does that work? Do you have to transfer the flat via FFL? Any special paperwork?

Bob, no FFL required for stamped flats. You can buy a stack of them for about $14/each. Check in on weaponeer ar15.com on the ak forum, or gunsnet to see the building tutorials. Not too hard, easier & cheaper if you do screw builds, as I have.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Bob, no FFL required for stamped flats. You can buy a stack of them for about $14/each. Check in on weaponeer ar15.com on the ak forum, or gunsnet to see the building tutorials. Not too hard, easier & cheaper if you do screw builds, as I have.
    interesting. I'll have to look into this a bit. Thanks.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Yup, what Rob72 said.
    A friend had a bending jig and spot welder, I've got the drill press and other tools needed. I did a weld build, using a mig welder, not the spot welder. I know that is frowned on by a lot of other AK builders but it's held up great for me and it was easier than a screw build or rivets.

If you get an AK, remember to get some glass to go with it. A good red dot or an illuminated reticle 4X scope helps enhance the rifle for general duty shooting day or night. A side-mounted Kobra scope is probably the best red dot for an AK. Slips on and off real easy and yet it retains zero pretty good at the same time.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

The best AK info/advice is available on warriortalk.com they are AK aficionados and know which are the best and most reliable ones out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links