Considering an AK

Considering an AK

This is a discussion on Considering an AK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I haven’t handled an AK since I received an introduction and orientation to Warsaw Pact weapons in the military, that was some 25 years ago. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering an AK

Considering an AK

I haven’t handled an AK since I received an introduction and orientation to Warsaw Pact weapons in the military, that was some 25 years ago. Needless to say, I am not a guru when it comes to the AK type of weapon.

I was looking at some at the show yesterday and am not sure whether it was a good deal or not. The gentleman said that he has his own plant here in Colorado and that he uses a Romanian kit. He also said that he “folds” his own receiver. I then heard somebody mention that it must be good because it was a “G”, I noticed a “G” stamped into the left side just below the rear sight. The receiver, trigger group, muzzle break and pistol grip were the only things that he mentioned that were US made, but he did say that there were a total of 6 US made parts to make it US legal. He also said that the barrels were chrome lined. The weapon is Parkerized and then Gun Coated.

He is offering these at $499.00 for a “standard, an additional $95.00 with a picitanny rail on the upper hand guard.

His card said both “Arma Rifle & Cartridge” and “Lancaster Firearms”. I am guessing that “Arma Rifle & Cartridge” is him and “Lancaster Firearms” is the AK.

At another table I saw the Saiga for much less, I think it was either $299.00 or $399.00 but don’t remember which.

I am looking for recommendations. Does this sound like a good deal or not? Is the Romanian “G” a good AK or should I go for something like the Saiga for much less. Does the old saying “you get what you pay for” apply here?

Also, what kind of accuracy should I expect from an AK type of weapon?

Thanks…………

Assistant Administrator
    Can't comment on the ''G'' aspect but my basic Romanian is just fine for what I want .. even tho I have yet to deal with the trigger slap.

This ''G'' I would expect to have a good trigger group with no slap and be generally more refined but - that's quite a price IMO.

Accuracy? Not stellar - I doubt I'd expect better than 4" on a good day at 100 yards .. but actually plenty adequate for what it is IMO.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    AK's are a strange bird in the gun world because expensive doesnt always mean better with them.
    There is a lot of garbage out there, and there are a lot of good ones too. It pays to do your homework. Generally I would say Romanian are decent, but I've seen some that are absolute junk.
    You will pay more for a milled reciever over a stamped or "folded", they are just a little more robust.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just built a "G" in my garage last week. Came out AWESOME, pics later.
    $130 for the demilled AK, $15 for the flat, $10 for rivets, $60 for compliance parts = $215 + 8 hours of my time - but I used a pair of $250 rivet jigs and a $400 folding jig.

The Romanian "G" kits are fine...I've got one sitting in the corner waiting to get sent off to Jim Fuller for a custom build (who uses the "G" kits for most of his builds).

The Saigas are good guns but unless it's been converted to use AK mags, your going to be kind of limited on your choices.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    AK's are a sickness. I caught this fever last year and still haven't recovered. The "G" kit they are talking about is from Romania. I would call it a gun that belonged to their civilian guard units, kinda like our reserves. They had a orange G stamped or etched on the left side of the rear sight housing sight and about a 1 inch black band painted at the rear of the stock. They were made by the Romanian Govt to be semi auto rifles. To get to us, the reciever was cut into pieces and the whole gun was put in a heavy plastic bag. Importers apparently imported about a zillion of these guns at one time.

From what I have seen and heard, most of these guns have had very little, if any, bullets run down the barrel. I would say that 9 out of 10 are in very good condition, just have some surface rust and a huge build up of cosmo all over them. Out of the number of kits that I have built, only one showed up as being used. I turned that into a battlefield pickup look. Kits are starting to dry up, and the price of these kits that people still have on hand is rising pretty fast. The kits have everything in it except for a reciever and the disconnector.

Have to "demill" them before you can build them back up. That requires grinding down the old rivets and then getting them out of the front and rear trunions. Some people have nothing but a hammer and punches, some people have entire shops dedicated to building. The recievers for these build guns can be bought 100% already built, transfers just like a gun because it contains the serial number. Others bend their own reciever flats in various home made and commercial built jigs. If building just 1 or 2, the 100% recievers are best to use. People that have be affected by this building demons, bend their own flats. A 100% reciever is anywhere from 55 to 100 bucks each. A flat costs about 14 dollars. Some flats contain all the holes, some don't.

FWIW, if a person is selling "G" kits at 500 a pop on home built flats, in my opinion, it is too much. If they are selling on 100% recievers, that is in the ball park. Yes the barrels are chrome lined, they should have changes out 6 parts to meet 922r criteria. They probably stripped down the wood and did some refinishing on it. A good vendor would also park or at least reblue the metal. Make sure the trigger, hammer and disconnector are Tapco G-2 units. These FCG's have all but eliminated the trigger slap. There is another guy on this forum that I see his name all the time as I read and look for info on a couple of the AK forums. Hopefully, he will chime in here and add to what I have missed or correct what I have said wrong.

Kits are supposedly "drying up" right now. Personally, seems like after they say that is all they have, a month or so later, they "find" some but have to charge more for the same kit that has been in country since the beginning. Either way, with the election coming up, buy what guns and ammo you think you are going to need, because if the wrong idiot gets into office, well, you know the rest of the story.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

VIP Member
    I'm in the market too. My question is which contries AK's should I stay away from? Is there really any bad ones out there, or are some just nicer to look at? I've seen romanian, and Yugo rifles out there cheap. Which is good/better, or neither?
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'm in the market too. My question is which contries AK's should I stay away from? Is there really any bad ones out there, or are some just nicer to look at? I've seen romanian, and Yugo rifles out there cheap. Which is good/better, or neither?
    I'm far from a guru as well, but I've been researching for a couple of months in preparation for my own AK.

From what I can tell, the Romanian AK's are pretty much bottom of the barrel. Not that this is bad: like Sixto pointed out, cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad for this gun. I may buy a Romanian myself, but if you get one, make sure to check for front sight alignment. Some of them are visibly canted to one side and are impossible to sight in. Other-wise, finish and stock quality are generally low, but they work. Some of them can also benefit from a light de-burring.

Yugoslavian AK's are also reasonably cheap, but the finish and build quality have been much better on the ones I've seen. And they have that distinctive fold-up grenade launcher sight.

Bulgarian and Polish rifles start getting pricey, but the quality is definitely good.

Chinese and Russian AK's seem to be considered the top of the heap (VEPR's are built off of Russian kits). I've never handled one, though.

I think as long as you do your homework and examine the gun closely, you can pick up pretty much anything and end up with a good rifle. Some just need a little more TLC than others.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

So basically, he's buying Tapco or similar flats, and doing the press work...? He's about $200 too high, then, unless he's offering a great warranty, and guarantees a properly heat treated receiver.

IOW, you could buy a Century WASR, and know you're getting a good warranty if you need it, and have $200 to spend taking the rough edges off it and adding accessories. Or you can spend $500 on an Arsenal or similar. I'd pass...

AK's are a sickness. I caught this fever last year and still haven't recovered.
    That's possible with any mass produced or available firearm that is 'reasonably' priced. LOL!
    Bulgarian and Polish rifles start getting pricey, but the quality is definitely good.
    It all depends on what you want, or 'need' in an AK rifle. I tend to suppress my 'addictions' by obtaining just one of the quality level I feel necessary and can afford and be confident in it. I also feel it warranted to have a full replacement parts inventory for that certain firearm. I almost never look into possible resale value as the ones I have I plan to keep until I turn to dust. Do your research well, and take heed what those with experience are saying. Above all, be happy with your decision in the end. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the input.

When somebody refers to a “dimpled” receiver, what are they talking about and how do I identify whether it is “dimpled” or not. I have heard that the “non-dimpled” ones have some issues, what are these issues and why?

Thanks again….

To expand on this thread, keeping with readily available rifles, what brand of AK would you buy if you had:

1.$400-500 to spend
    2.) $500-$1000
    3.) 1K+

In response:

1.) Egyptian Maadi
    2.) AMD-65
    3.) I don't know of any AK that would interest me for over a thousand bucks.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Thanks for the input.

When somebody refers to a “dimpled” receiver, what are they talking about and how do I identify whether it is “dimpled” or not. I have heard that the “non-dimpled” ones have some issues, what are these issues and why?

Thanks again….
    They're talking about oval indentations above the magazine well. These exist to keep the mag from rattling around. Some people say the non-dimpled models have feeding issues.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Go to AK-47.net all you need know is there.

Personally I own a Yugo M70B1,and love it. For a lower end AK the Yugo is the way to go IMHO. I would put it up against a Arsenal or Vector for overall form, fit, and function. Well the furniture could be a little better, but if I put some work into it it would be alot nicer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links