Why is the Steyr-AUG design not more popular?

This is a discussion on Why is the Steyr-AUG design not more popular? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I always thought the Steyr-AUG was an ingenious design. Allowed for a standard barrel yet the gun was pretty compact. However, I do not see ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the Steyr-AUG design not more popular?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Why is the Steyr-AUG design not more popular?

I always thought the Steyr-AUG was an ingenious design. Allowed for a standard barrel yet the gun was pretty compact. However, I do not see this as a very popular gun.

Perhaps the military and LEO folk on this forum can tell me why this design just hasn't seem to catch on.

Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Some militaries like them. Great Britian uses a SA80 and Isreal is developing a Tavor bullpup. FN has also designed a few.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Kel-tec is coming out with a 308 bull pup this year. Their website has a video and pamplet on it and it looks pretty good.

Kel-Tec

I have been fortunate enough to talk to some guys in US Army weapons development. Their take on why we don't have one is very simply because it was too radical. Someone came up with a very limited run of bullpup rifles that had 100% internal components interchangeability with the M16 Series sometime in the mid '80s. It functioned exactly the same used most of the same parts, was ambidextrous, was the same weight and had a flat top for sights or optics. It was a better weapon. It was not even looked at beacuse it didn't look like a rifle. It looked like a ray gun.

In this country it is often said that so goes the military, so goes the police, so goes the public. AR15s would not be anywhere near as popular if the system wasn't in use by the largest military force in the western world for more than 40 years. If the military had picked up the Steyr AUG or any other bulpup they would be more popular in the public. Simple as that.

The AUG is a great rifle. Or at least it was 20 years ago. Nowadays it is too heavy. It weighs more than 9 pounds, and its optics are not the greatest compared to todays glass. Its magazines are not as reliable as they could be and the barrel is too easily removeable. It also requires tools to break down to the level that we are accustomed to.

CPTD

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cptd View Post

In this country it is often said that so goes the military, so goes the police, so goes the public. AR15s would not be anywhere near as popular if the system wasn't in use by the largest military force in the western world for more than 40 years. If the military had picked up the Steyr AUG or any other bulpup they would be more popular in the public. Simple as that.

CPTD
    And there is the answer. FWIW, I really dont like the AUG at all. Its to goofy for me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    From an operational point of view, it is not the easiest weapon to "run". That goes for all of the bull pup design. The location of the mag well and the charging handle make the reduction of stoppages and reloads slower. The AR design with the mag well just in front of the grip make things a bit easier.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Microtech MSAR is producing the STG-556; American-made Steyr, essentially. "Ergonomics" is the typical cry with any different weapon system. If you try to run an AK like an AR (or vice-versa) you'll have a rough time. AUGs had some issues which MSAR has (supposedly, according to SAR, and SAR is usually pretty squared away) adequately and properly addressed. New mags, new polymer, hard points for rail mounts, rail upper & fluted barrels. MSAR is pretty much on price-point, which unfortunately higher than mine, at the moment.

Microtech Small Arms Research - STG-556™ LE/MIL Rifle

Yeah, the Steyr AUG is an interesting design. But shooting one, day-in/day-out is kinda' "aug"ward. The compact length doesn't overcome the "chunkiness" between your hands. I spent W-I-D-E to own one, gave it more than every chance to WOW me, and sold it to someone who (like me) hoped it would be as cool as it looked. It isn't.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    From an operational point of view, it is not the easiest weapon to "run". That goes for all of the bull pup design. The location of the mag well and the charging handle make the reduction of stoppages and reloads slower.
    Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by cptd View Post
    Someone came up with a very limited run of bullpup rifles that had 100% internal components interchangeability with the M16 Series sometime in the mid '80s.
    I've considered one of these. The appeal is the long barrel in a short gun.

M17S Bushmaster Bull-pup PDF
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Bull-pups suck because you can't reload fast or clear jams. Just because it looks like a spaceship doesn't mean its a good gun...JMO

Austin

I love shooting my PS90...it's not hard to load/chamber/shoot.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    I love shooting my PS90...it's not hard to load/chamber/shoot.
    but doesn't that fall into the SMG or PDW slot, not bullpup style rifle/carbine?
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

I think he was referring to my spaceship comment!

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by mr. orange View Post
    but doesn't that fall into the SMG or PDW slot, not bullpup style rifle/carbine?
    ya know...I'm not sure. I've thought of it as a bullpup design.

There's enough similarities to call them both bullpups, but there's enough differences to separate them as well
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links