Ak Flats....

This is a discussion on Ak Flats.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone bend their own AK flats, Ive been looking into it, i have almost all the tools needed except for $220 jig to shape the ...

Thread: Ak Flats....

Ak Flats....

Anyone bend their own AK flats, Ive been looking into it, i have almost all the tools needed except for $220 jig to shape the flat. I guess my real question is should I try building my own ak with 80% flat or just buy a complete rifle. Thanks for the help guys

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I think you will have a little trial and error, but if you have most of the tools, I think you could make up the $200 and what ever material you waste learning how pretty quickly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've done three... and never again. For one thing they are a lot of work when I can just buy one from Nodak Spud for like $50 and pay a transfer fee and end up with a better one than I can build. If you're just wanting the experience or you don't want it "on the radar" then it is some fun but also some work. The jig for bending can be borrowed and a group of us got together and shared some tools and things to do it. This helped. But the grinding and fitting the rails and the Spot welding all are fairly involved. I just will not bother again. I still have two of the ones I built not built into a rifle at the moment. Finished one of them. And from now on, if I ever needed another, it will be another Nodak Spud (DCI) receiver. I would build the guns from kits all day long, but I will buy the receivers done.

Administrator
    Here is a link to the DIYGuns.com page.
    They do have an instructional VID that is supposed to be pretty decent.
    Some day I'd like to try doing one just for the sake of trying to do it.
    Since I have worked with metals for so many years - I would like to challenge myself on bending one WITHOUT using the jig.
    I'll bet I could do it and make a perfect job of it...by my second try.

High Quality AK style flat w/ Rails - $24.95 : ExtCart
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    If you are going to have only 1 AK, just buy one that is completely made. If you are going to have only 1 AK, and you want to build it from a kit, buy a NoDak 100% reviever. Transfers just like a gun, must go thru FFL.

If you have patience, a desire to do a great job and won't accept anything less, desire to keep the gun(s) off the radar, are good at welding, have a way to smash rivets/thread trunions for screws, like to do your own metal finishing, plan on doing more than a few, then bend your own flats. Saves a lot of cash in the long run. They sell for $14 or so, come with the rails that you have to weld/bolt on and trim to make the carrier/bolt group slide good.

Today, I bent some recievers in a jig that I made. Quite simple jig to use. A frame made out of 2 pieces of 1 1/2 angle iron, spaced reciever width plus 2 thicknesses of the flat. I then center the flat onto 3 pieces of metal, 1 below the flat and 2 above, bolt it together in 5 places and then use 2 longer bolts with nuts on each end to pull it thru the jig. Lube the flat with grease so it slides thru the jig. Got to make sure that before you put too much pressure on the flat, that it is centered exactly or one side will be a little bit higher than the other. Takes some practice to get it right. That is my FWIW.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

I built a couple from flats. I did it the incredibly hard way (like I do everything) and CNC built my own flat bending jig. It takes 2 minutes with a hydraulic press and the flat is done. Couldn't be any easier.

You'll need an O/A torch to harden rails & pivots in the receiver, and either a spot welder or tig to fasten the rails.

Do yourself a favor and start with a fully drilled/slotted flat. The bare flats do require some work to get to fit. Also, I suggest installing the front trunion before the rails-

Links