Pros/Cons of an AR-15?

This is a discussion on Pros/Cons of an AR-15? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking at getting a semi-auto rifle of some sort, and wanted to hear from you folks - what are the strengths & weaknesses of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros/Cons of an AR-15?

Pros/Cons of an AR-15?

I'm looking at getting a semi-auto rifle of some sort, and wanted to hear from you folks - what are the strengths & weaknesses of the AR-15 design? Why do you have one, or why do you not have one?

2. Remove Ads

You can accesorize the crap out of an AR (lights, sights, "gangsta" grips, bi-pod, M203). That's not to mention ease of interchanging complete uppers (bull barrel, different cal.) I got a .22 rimfire upper for small plinking and its cheap ammo. I like the overall design of an AR, plus the reliability and accuracy is sufficient, and lets not forget it's a blast to shoot.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I'm bumping this topic. The main attraction I've always seen are the gadget factor and the fact that if you have military experience, this is probably a good gun for you because it's what you've trained with so much. But I want to see if there's any other pros.

I hope George Hill will link to his excellent article on the cons of the AR family.

Assistant Administrator
    I have often thought of getting a Bushy but cost has been one disincentive. Beyond that I am not over struck with it, having shot one or two - for some reason they don't float my boat. Just me.

My only 223 platform is Mini-14 - bit of a spray gun as it is in just std trim but - good enough to employ the cal.

For me, in this category (EBR, loosely) I feel better served by having the cheap reliability and capacity of an AK, and the FAL for serious work!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Pros- light weight, good accuracy, proven combat performance, interchangable multiple acces. options, light recoil impulse, intimidating looking, and plentiful , cheap hi cap mags.

Cons- possible malfunction due to gas system(some problems first hand) , light bullet weight, over penetration thru walls& people, deemed an "assault rifle" by the media, all black and evil looking. Sproing noise during firing may cause ya to laugh and miss. Many configurations to choose from, accesories will empty your wallet if ya get em all. Causes BRD (black rifle disease) according to the surgeon general

Euc,

I've read George Hill's thoughts on the AR - he pretty much hates them. For his thoughts on the matter:

http://www.madogre.com/Interviews/Hate_the_AR15.htm

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DirksterG30
    Euc,

I've read George Hill's thoughts on the AR - he pretty much hates them. For his thoughts on the matter:

http://www.madogre.com/Interviews/Hate_the_AR15.htm

Wow, what an extemly opinionated, not all factual account of AR's. If they were all that bad, I think out troops would have XM8's already. Also hundreds of civilian contractors in Iraq would choose a diffrent weapon.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Dirk...

I'm just getting into firearms...well, just starting my collection.

I can tell you that one of the things I want is at least one AR lower reciever. For that reciever, I want a 16" upper in .22LR, .223, and 6.8mm. I might also add a 9mm upper to that list.

I also want a 20" .223 and a 24" .223 heavyweight. These last two might have seperate lowers so that specific optics can be installed on them.

So, the biggest pro that I see to the gun, with the exception of the fact that it is the issue weapon for the US military is that it's very easy (less then 5 minutes to change upper recievers) and therefore barrel lengths, and other options.

It's also very easy to customize the rifle to do what you want by adding sites, optics, lights, grips, etc.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

My response to the neighsayers that think the platform is garbage. Granted it's not perfect, however, the design has been around since long before me, Vietnam if i'm not mistaken. They've been trying to replace it with something better but haven't figured it out yet....there's a reason for that.

Quick engineering generalization...tight tolerances require super maintance but result in super results. loose tolerances require minimal maintance but often result in less than ideal results.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Tell the truth I've always wanted one and still do, but I put it off because I didn't want it to be my only gun.

Of course now it wouldn't have to be, so there you go. I told myself I would get one before Bush leaves office and I plan to carry through on that threat.

I've had 2, a Colt and a Bushmaster. I'd agree with the "pro"s thus far. Only con I can think of is the cost - not only of the rifle, but the accessories. Another con - they do not hold their resale value once you're over the "wow" factor. I've gotten my AR-fix. Now, it's back to more bang for the buck - an SKS.

Ar-15

My brother in-law has one and my 15 year old son loved it so much, he insisted on having his pic taken with it wearing my old BDU's.

Mike :AR15firin
    Attached Images

No Downside to my bushy Ar 15 never had a problem with it

1952 - 2006
    I've had my Colt AR-15 SP-1 model since I bought it new in 1984 for the now tranquil cost of $395. off the shelf. I also bought a first generation Aimpoint MKIII that still sits atop it. I have never altered anything on the weapon and it's still going strong at about 25,000 rounds. The only hic-up I've had with it was about 15 years ago. The lower reciever pin for the hammer slipped and caused the hammer to fall out of alignment, thusly jamming the gun. I replaced the pin and have never had another bad thing to say about "the black rifle."

I will say one more positive thing about the gun, from personal experience, when properly used it is an accurate and death dealing little SOB.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If you spend decent money, for a decent mil-spec brand (Bushy, RRA, Oly), learn fundamental maintenance, and "tweak" it to your needs/preferences, the AR family really can't be beat. (Don't like the "sproing"? Get Oly's new pneumatic buffer- allows you to adjust action for varied loads and/or regulate rate of fire. Rails, light, barrels, etc., etc..)

Having said that, I traded my Bushy 20" HB for a -91, not long ago. The only disadvantage to a quality AR? It isn't a quality .308.......and that is a situational comparison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links