20 gauge Home Defense Ammo?

This is a discussion on 20 gauge Home Defense Ammo? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Could use some help. I have a 20 gauge Mossberg 500, 18 inch barrel. 1. Ammo recommendations, please, for home defense. 2. More importantly, where ...

Thread: 20 gauge Home Defense Ammo?

Distinguished Member

20 gauge Home Defense Ammo?

Could use some help. I have a 20 gauge Mossberg 500, 18 inch barrel. 1. Ammo recommendations, please, for home defense.
    2. More importantly, where the heck can I find this ammo??? All I can find is bird shot and clerks look at me like I'm nuts when asking for home defense ammo.
    Thanks!!

Ps. Hey! That's my 400th post! Congratulations are in order. Gift cards to Wallyworld or Cabelas' would be greatly appreciated. Nothing too big.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I like #3 Buck you can order from Midway

Follow the link, they have good stuff.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

My second to last HD shotgun was a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge. Last was an Ithaca 37 12 ga. I seem to think that Fiocchi or Federal made a PD round for the 20 in #2? You can go with slugs also.
    Last edited by Ram Rod; February 8th, 2008 at 11:51 AM.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I read an article somewhere online that showed ballistic gel penetration vs. various loads in both 12 and 20. From what I recall, #3 buck was recommended for 20 ga, so that is what I am using. You can find it at Cabela's, you just have to search for it. Probably could get better prices online from places like Midway.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I wouldn't go any smaller (in shot size) than #1 buck if it was me. I personally prefer 00 buck - but I don't know if you'll find anything that size in 20 gauge.

Austin

20 gauge

Federal did make a personal defense load in 12 and 20. Sadly discontinued now, but it was plated #2 shot in good thick wads in a premium case with a nickle plated high brass shell. If you like the big birdshot idea, Federal's PF204 is close, but the biggest is #4 shot. You can only get bigger in steel or hi-density shot, and mostly those are 3". Remington is about the same, but they don't have a premium 20ga load like the PF204, and they seem to have discontinued their neat little duplex load that was 2 and 6 or 2 and 4 shot IIRC. If you prefer buckshot, all anybody has is #3 buck in the 20. You pick the magnum or standard load, 18 pellets in the mag, 20 in the standard. I bought the Federal Premium "Vital Shok" for my HD 20. It's buffered and plated shot. I keep it in the gun after I patterned it, I practice with the cheap stuff. Any decent gunshop should be able to special order it for you.

That's the nice thing about the Mossberg 500. 2 3/4 or 3" chamber. I sold all of my former 20 ga ammo with the shotgun maybe in 1997. Haven't seen anything better than the #3 buck on the internet available. I'll have to ask my gun shop guy next time I'm in. Good info Superhouse 15.

Distinguished Member
    Hey, thanks, guys. I'm just "blown away" with all the good info!

ps. no gift cards yet.

That's what this site is all about----I think.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    You have it all wrong. When you reach a milestone like your 400th post you have to send us something. Coffee cards to Dunkin Donuts or Dutch Brothers are the common item. It goes up from there. 1000 posts you have to hand out Cabela's cards, etc.

As far as choice for ammo for a 20 guage. One word, slugs. We talked about this not too long ago. I think it was Dr. CMG who demonstrated that buckshot in a 20 guage in a typical bedroom won't even have a chance to expand. Go for the slug, and let your aim be true.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

#3 buck is the way to go. it you can not find it then go to 00 buck and some slugs.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member
    [QUOTE=SonofASniper;624889]You have it all wrong. When you reach a milestone like your 400th post you have to send us something. Coffee cards to Dunkin Donuts or Dutch Brothers are the common item. It goes up from there. 1000 posts you have to hand out Cabela's cards, etc.

Say wha'?? No, no, that's not what the rules say. #400 is forty dollar gift cards. #500 is fifty, and so on. That's what Bumper told me.

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    I saw 20ga. shells in #3 or #4 buckshot (can't remember for sure which) in a Gander Mountain store today. A test on the great site "Box O' Truth" supported the idea that such shells would be good defense rounds. My wife's 20ga. is loaded with it right now.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Links