Thoughts on my 1st & Only AR15...

This is a discussion on Thoughts on my 1st & Only AR15... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a bonus coming and have been looking at pistols but thought maybe I ought to consider an AR15. I don't really want to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

I've got a bonus coming and have been looking at pistols but thought maybe I ought to consider an AR15. I don't really want to spend ton's of time researching them like I normally do pistols but I have read a little.

I looked at a model today made by CMMG in Missouri. Comes with hard case, 2 ea 30 round mags. It's 16" barrel with removable flash supressor. Chrome lined 1:7 barrel. 5.56 cal. All mil spec, collapsible stock and removable carry handle. The shop here would sell it for $1,000. Basically I would want a short basic version without any optics for now, with a collapsable stock.

Is this a reasonable deal on a decent AR15? The other option they offer is a Rock Island upper on a CMMG lower, they build it and it's essentially the same as above but only 1 mag and no case for about $885.

So what do you guys think? I've been getting close to pull the trigger on a Sprinfield EMP but I have some good defensive handguns so I thought I'd at least consider getting my one and only AR15. I'm retired miliary to I like the AR15, brings back memories, a little...

I've dismissed the idea of building one becasue I'm just too busy with a full time job, being a pastor and having 6 children.

thanks for your advise guys.

Cmmg Is ok .. Smith and wesson is good so is Colt LMT and STag and Bushmaster .. Its all what ya want

But it dont sound to bad to me

Administrator
    I'd go with a bigger name, such as the ones Bud mentioned, and I'm a newly made fan of Rock River.
    The one you looked at may be great... I just dont know.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    My next door neighbor is an FBI swat team member (based out of PGH but he lives in WV). He just got a Rock River arms AR about 6 mo ago and loves it. He likes it more than his duty M4. I think the Rock Island company is based out of the Philipines so I would be leary of them. They could be good though just do your home work. It never hurts to go with a US company, and I think these are all US made :
    Cmmg Is ok .. Smith and wesson is good so is Colt LMT and STag and Bushmaster
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I have a bushmaster, but my second choice would be Rock River Arms. They do some quality work.

Lead Moderator
    This might be a affordable way to get an AR
    http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...964840&cat=33&
    So far I have heard only good about the bargin bin rifles. Minor scratches , ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Bushmaster here as well. It's always been reliable for me, and they have excellent customer support if I ever need again. (my third Bushmaster AR-15) I had looked at other models and never could figure what the better qualities would be to look for and what specifically made them better than the Bushmaster rifles. I think the prices you are talking are typical right now on average, but not exactly a bargain IMO. You may be getting a discount on a package deal, and that's always good. Since you want your AR as stated with collapsible stock and the flash hider, I'd go for it before the political climate changes again. Good luck.

Forgot to add i have a Bushmaster. and Am getting a Lefty Stag ..

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    This might be a affordable way to get an AR
    http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...964840&cat=33&
    So far I have heard only good about the bargin bin rifles. Minor scratches , ect.
    Wow Rocky, I looked at that site and I think I just found my next knock around AR! That is a great price. And I kind of like an AR with some blemishes. Gives them some character.

Thanks for the site link.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

a couple of more dollers but the S&W M&P 15T is alot of gun for the money. I would at least look at what it brings to the table. If you don't get it 2nd I would read ar-15.com for a week and build one.
    Not only are they some of the most accurate,dependable, rifles in the world it's a cinch to build with a ton of options so you can end up with works best for your needs. still the M&P 15T is the way to go.
    It leaves you a ton of options.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

There is a lot of information out there on AR-15s. It depends a lot on what you want to do with it, and what you want it to be able to do. I think $1000 sounds steep for a CMMG - I'd look at the website, they have prices on there - its a good deal in most cases. Each maker has their benefits and shortcomings...I'd do some lurking on M4Carbine.net and AR15.com and see if you can glean anything there.
    You can buy a lower receiver from your FFL (gun store) or buy it online and have them do the transfer, and then have the upper shipped to your house. Then you only pay sales tax on the lower - which might cost $300 or so depending on what kind of stock and grip you'd like. The upper is most important part of an AR-15 - the barrel and the bolt carrier group are the most important parts of the upper. I'd try to get the best quality barrel and bolt carrier group you can afford. Buying the upper and lower receiver separately doesn't mean you're "building" the gun - you just put the top on the bottom. It takes maybe 5 seconds.
    Just my opinion...worth what you paid for it.

Austin

i got several colts and to me they are the best. then three years ago they took my colt smg away and gave me a new rock river arms lar-15 with all the factory bells on it. now there two brands that i like,,,colt and rra.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I've got a Rock River and a Colt. I mostly shoot the RR.
    ...one jagged hole!

I have a bushmaster M4gery and love it (paid a little under 900 4 months or so ago), almost as good as my gov't supplied M16A4 (if only the bushmaster had burst, but it has a better finish).

But as long as it functions well and puts rounds where ya want it, then its worth it. The AR is a good battle rifle. If it works, then it isn't a bad deal. I've got "cheap" lesser name brand firearms that work just fine for me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

read the words and check the comparsion chart then read more, think about it then buy.

Colt is my first choice, then Rock River (DEA / Govt version), then LMT or Bushmaster or Stag. Never ever a S&W .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links