12 ga HD? Opinions Please. - Page 2

12 ga HD? Opinions Please.

This is a discussion on 12 ga HD? Opinions Please. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Matiki - I guess it doesn't, does it? I guess it doesn't matter if the light is on when you're cycling the action, as long ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 ga HD? Opinions Please.

Matiki - I guess it doesn't, does it? I guess it doesn't matter if the light is on when you're cycling the action, as long as you can use it before you shoot. Then again there are the Surefire lights that replace the foregrip....but that's back to expensive again.

Austin

Geez Walvord, that thing's dangerous on BOTH ends! I can't imagine the recoil on that puppy.

I've got Mossberg 500s in both 12 and 20 gauge, the 12 has a 28" barrel and the 20 has a 26". The forend on my 12 has developed a bad side to side wobble but otherwise works fine - it's my current bedroom/HD shotty. Unloading the 20 gauge causes the tang safety to partially engage, even when just clearing the mag. Not sure what the issue is with that one but it doesn't inspire confidence as an HD gun.

I made my monthly trip to the gunshop last month (layaway payments) and finally decided to grab the 20 gauge 870 Express Youth (20" barrel) I'd been eyeing for months now. The shorter LOP on the Youth fits me like a glove and even the basic Express Model feels more solid and smooth than either of my Mossys. I'm contemplating selling or trading both of them to fund a pair of 870s.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Matiki - I guess it doesn't, does it? I guess it doesn't matter if the light is on when you're cycling the action, as long as you can use it before you shoot. Then again there are the Surefire lights that replace the foregrip....but that's back to expensive again.

Austin
    For my shotgun I have a weapon mounted light with a momentary switch at my finger tips.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    For my shotgun I have a weapon mounted light with a momentary switch at my finger tips.
    Matiki; could you share with us what your exact light setup is? I'm researching options but I don't really care for the surefire foregrip solution which is probably the best.

I really want something that clamps to the magazine tube. I'm willing to buy a decent Surefire light etc. my gun will have a standard stock so how do you have yours set up?

You might want to consider keeping your Mossberg set up for hunting and get a 500 Tactical for home defense. The 500 tactical comes with the collapsible 6 position stock, 18 1/2" barrel, forearm sling, and extra shells carrier.

I bought the 500 Tactical first and am now looking for a Mossberg 500 hunting shotgun.

Mossberg 500 Tactical:
    O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Click on the more models arrow.
    Last edited by Cap'n; February 13th, 2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: add link
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I sold my Mossberg to my neighbor this afternoon for $150. Still looking to sell my Hi-Point, but once that's gone - there's a local shop selling Mossberg tacticals with heat shield, AR stock, for $329...
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

Thumbs up I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    +1

I have a Mossberg 6 shot with a 6 position stock and pistol grip for HD. Just get an 18" barrel and if you really feel the need, a collapsible/multi-position stock.
    Ditto - In fact I just got another HD shotgun for my wife to use. She's accepted an assignment to another state (one with a left-coast state of mind, don't get me started). I picked a Mossberg 500, 18 1/2-in barrel, 6-round capacity, and it even comes with a pistol grip kit. I'll probably end up getting another on of those...

Just my 2-cents.
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

M2
    Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    This is what I have been considering for home defense. It's considered an AOW which falls under the NFA, so will need to see if it's legal in your state. There is a $5 tax that is added onto the price since it is an AOW.
    Yeah, the Serbu Super-Shorty is nice (there was one used in the movie Crank)but at $700 it is a bit expensive for a HD shottie. Instead, I went with a Mossy Persuader, a nice 18.5" pistol-gripped job with a 120-lumen SureFire 6P attached.

(Pic of a Cruiser from the Internet, very similar to a Persuader but mine does not have that “tactical impact device” on the end. If anyone knows where I can get one for a Persuader, please let me know!)

Total set-up was less than $400 (the Persuader can be found for under $300) and I can move easily through the house with it. It's loaded with OO Buck magnum loads, so any recipient isn't going to be getting up anytime soon afterwards...

Cheers! M2

M2: The Cruiser and Persuader are supposed to be assembled almost the same. What type of magnum loads are you using?

ethereal: I'm planning on buying one with at LEAST a 6-shot capacity as well..
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

I love my Remington 870 with a sidesaddle mounted on it. Accurate, dependable and it has an extended mag on it. You couldn't ask for a better firearm for close range defense. Of course, you need to back it up with a decent big bore pistol...just in case something does go bad with the shotgun. (Actually that's a slick way of justifying getting a handgun to go with the shotgun...)
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I got a Rem 870 Express that I purchased an 18" barrel for ($96), ATI tactical forend (about $35), ATI two rounds extended magazine ($37), a relatively inexpensive 1" aluminum body tac light with pressure switch and coily cord ($39) two barrel/accessory clamps ($12).

The pressure switch on the tac light system attaches with velcro to the forend and the coily cord allows it to stay in place when I snatch the forend back. While clearing a room, I can use the pressure switch with my left thumb to activate the light.

No need for an automatic!! No need to hold a flashlight!!

The equally/similarly outfitted new Remington 870 Express was about $600.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Matiki; could you share with us what your exact light setup is? I'm researching options but I don't really care for the surefire foregrip solution which is probably the best.

I really want something that clamps to the magazine tube. I'm willing to buy a decent Surefire light etc. my gun will have a standard stock so how do you have yours set up?
    Yikes, didn't subscribe to the thread and just saw this.

I bought one of these:
    MidwayUSA - TacStar Firearms Light System 2000 with T6 Tactical Flashlight, Pressure Switch End Cap, Barrel Mount

It's awesome, and not just for the money. I went through a course with a guy that has the surefire set-up. Brightness was comparable and both worked 100%.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Not sure about the MSRP, but---------------------------------------------------
    YouTube - AA-12. World's deadliest shotgun!

Senior Moderator
    You could look at Maverick 88 for a cheap Mossberg
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links