12 ga HD? Opinions Please. - Page 3

12 ga HD? Opinions Please.

This is a discussion on 12 ga HD? Opinions Please. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Mercalf Looking to trade in my Mossberg 500 34'' hunting 12 ga, and my new Hi-Point 995 for a home defense/clearing 12 ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12 ga HD? Opinions Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercalf View Post
    Looking to trade in my Mossberg 500 34'' hunting 12 ga, and my new Hi-Point 995 for a home defense/clearing 12 ga shotgun. Opinions on models?
    Since you're looking to get trade up, I'll put in my .02 and suggest...you guessed it...The Benelli Super Nova Tactical. Mine was 460. out the door. Screw on a 40. mag extention and you've got 8 rounds in a magazine that matches the 18" barrel perfectly. No poking out an inch or so..(I hate that) It's very well made, easy to clean and comes stock with either ghost ring sights or a bead. (your choice) It's the last HD shotgun you will ever need. (and it's black which ticks off the antis)
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I keep a NEF (New England Firearms) Pardner Pump around for home defense. It's light and easy to carry around (18.5") , and relatively inexpensive.

For the money, they are hard to beat. Dick's in Memphis has them for 179.00.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    Since you're looking to get trade up, I'll put in my .02 and suggest...you guessed it...The Benelli Super Nova Tactical. Mine was 460. out the door. Screw on a 40. mag extention and you've got 8 rounds in a magazine that matches the 18" barrel perfectly. No poking out an inch or so..(I hate that) It's very well made, easy to clean and comes stock with either ghost ring sights or a bead. (your choice) It's the last HD shotgun you will ever need. (and it's black which ticks off the antis)
    460 is a bit much for what I'll be keeping this for, however - I'll keep the model in mind JIC I run accross a used one.

Also, those who commented on the NEF's (New Englands..) - how are they??? Buds has them all day well under 200 bucks. Granted the accessories aren't readily available - I only want it for HD, not sporting, not competition - and the only guns I spend extra money on are my Baby <- and my pride 'n joy (weatherby)...
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

this is the 870 i just purchased at my local dealer. Model 870™ Folding Stock w/7-Shot Extension

I have yet to fire it but i disassembled it yesterday and gave it a good cleaning. barrel was disgusting... clean it when you get it!

also mine doesn't have the choke... i dunno what the choke does (i'm a n00b) but i intend on learning everything about it and taking to the range many many times before i consider myslef HD ready.

are these bead sights any good or should i look for an upgrade?

i can't wait to get to the range!!!

Chokes are for hunting. They change shot pattern - which you won't care about. (Make the coroner work extra hard :P )

Bead sights are just fine, the main goal is whether you can handle them. There are much better sights (For a price) out there...but bead sights are the most common, and most practical. ...Line up the beads, and shoot.
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercalf View Post
    Chokes are for hunting. They change shot pattern - which you won't care about. (Make the coroner work extra hard :P )

Bead sights are just fine, the main goal is whether you can handle them. There are much better sights (For a price) out there...but bead sights are the most common, and most practical. ...Line up the beads, and shoot.
    Home Defensse=Door to door distance with most shotgun loads you don't have much of a pattern. The Box O' Truth #20 - Buckshot Patterns - Page 1

2 Beads are fine for checking how you mount a shotgun however you still point shoot a shotgun rather then align your sights, even single bead guns like your tactical guns are more point shoot.

A shotgun with a full choke vs. a cylinder choke at these distances are really going to change much.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Different approach here...

I have my .45 on me most of the time, even in the house. An 'extra' weapon is my 12ga Stoeger Coach Gun...nothing like a home invader looking at TWO HUGE barrels looking back at 'ya...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links