I finally plan to buy an AR15 soon

This is a discussion on I finally plan to buy an AR15 soon within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Within the next 4-6 months, I plan to acquire an AR-15 rifle. Although I really have no use for one, I want one for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally plan to buy an AR15 soon

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Within the next 4-6 months, I plan to acquire an AR-15 rifle. Although I really have no use for one, I want one for the sake of collecting, and being able to buy one, and I like military style weaponry. So with that in mind, I've been doing some research, and even handled a few ARs at my FFL dealer. I'm pretty much set on a Bushmaster M4 model with a collapsible stock and detachable carry handle (in case I wanna mount a scope or other optic). All the ones I have handled are between 900 and 1100 dollars. Does that seem about right for a Bushmaster? My Dad has a Colt Sporter .223 full size AR, but it's too big for my liking. I like more compact rifles. I do have a few questions

How many parts are involved in field stripping?
    Would it be okay to use Wolf ammo?
    What barrel length options are there for the M4?
    What's the maximum effective range of an M4 model?
    What does "barrel twist" mean?

Sorry if I'm annoying anyone with my newbie questions, I really don't know much about the AR other than it's more accurate than the AK-47.

Thanks in advance!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Moderator
    Field striping is easy and relatively painless.

• Clear the rifle, verify chamber is empty
    • Push out the two pins holding the upper to the lower, and separate them.
    • Pull the charging handle back, and remove the BCG (bolt-carrier group) and charging handle
    • Pull the firing pin retainer and remove firing pin
    • Pull the bolt cam pin out of the carrier
    • Pull the bolt out of the carrier

Wolf ammo is a point of contention - some swear by it, some swear at it.

The actual M4 has a short barrel (14.5"). You can own a rifle with a barrel under 16" as a civilian, but it requires an ATF tax stamp and other hoops. Most people opt for a barrel length of 16" and avoid the additional hassles.

To get to the magic 16.1" length, you can either have a 16" barrel, or a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached muzzle device that brings the overall length to 16". Personally, I opted for the 16" barrel, figuring that if you have to have the extra length, it might as well be contributing to velocity.

Maximum effective range depends on the shooter and the target. Hitting a man sized target out to 300-400 yards is within the capability of the M4 (if it is within the capability of the shooter).

Barrel twist refers to the tightness of the rifling. A barrel with a 1:9 twist makes one complete revolution in 9 inches of travel. A 1:7 twist does so in 7 inches of travel.

The faster the twist, the longer (heavier) of a bullet can be stabilized. Heavier bullets improve long range performance and accuracy.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

m-4

I have a DPMS M-4 and a Bushmaster AR-15. I email both companies and both recommended not to use Wolf ammo. They have a coating on them that gets real gummy when the weapon becomes hot plus the casing (which is steel) is actually harder than the extractor of the rifle. By the way I emailed Wolf also and they said, "no problem". If there are gun shows in you area you can find these type of rifles starting in the $700 dollar range.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

if your budget is tight and you know an FFL

try googling CMMG Bargain bucket

Soon is the keyword here. Good for you! With any AR-15 or gas operated rifle---one needs a bit of patience and to be meticulous in cleaning carbon and fouling from the gas system and the bolt components to keep these in top operating condition. Staggering of the gas rings and such, using lube in the right places, and having wear prone or possible breakage parts on hand. I have the Bushmaster M-4 in the configuration you're interested in----I wouldn't trade it for the world. Fun to shoot, tactically sound, and a beautiful carbine overall. Your care and cleaning will determine your love for this rifle and determine your commitment. I have no 'safe queens'. Bushmaster customer support is also very good.

Looks like Matt Larson has you pretty well covered. The effective range depends a lot on the shooter - but if you have a good (prone) shooting position, and a good sling you should be able to hit a man sized target at 500 yards with a little practice. That's with adjustable iron sights - optics can make things easier, but they also make it easy to forget the fundamentals. I'm not sure how much damage the .223/5.56 will do at 500 yards - I know I wouldn't want to get shot with one at that range, but that may not be the same thing as "effective". Just my two cents.

Austin

Thanks everyone for the replies, and putting up with my questions. I agree the effective range will only be as good as I am. I usually start off by using the iron sights, and then add optics later. I've still been meaning to add a side mount rail to my GP WASR10 AK, because I have a scope for it, but still haven't got around to it yet. Anyway, I'm gonna go for a Bushmaster M4 with the 16" barrel.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Think you're making a great choice with the Bushmaster. Had mine for about 4 years and it's been perfect thus far. You're going to enjoy it.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've also never had a problem with my Bushmaster M4gery. You'll love it. I did have a double feed once, but I blame the mag.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Moderator
    The only time I ever had a problem with my Bushy M4A3 was with a poor-quality gunshow magazine.

Stuck the magazine in question out on the berm, and fixed it.

No problems since.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

I don't think you'll go wrong with the BushMaster. A friend of mine has one and he loves it. Now, I know some are going to chastise me and say they've never had problems with Wolf ammo, but my recommendation is to stay away from it. I've never fired a Wolf steel cased round from any of my firearms, but I'll relate a quick story to explain why I don't trust it.

A couple of years ago, our local gun club had a three gun match (pistol, rifle, shotgun) for their monthly match. This took place in July (very hot). The rifle portion consisted of 25 clay birds set on the ground of the backstop and you were given 2 minutes to break as many as you could. Distance was about 30 yards. This sounds easy, but the catch was it had been very dry and after the first few shots there was so much dust in the air that the targets were hard to see. Virtually every AR type rifle using Wolf steel case ammo walked away from the line before time was up due to weapon jams. The rapid fire combined with the high air temperature of the day had the chambers so hot that the varnish on the steel cases was melting in the chambers and causing extraction and chambering problems.

IMHO, there just isn't enough price difference between the Wolf steel case stuff and inexpensive brass cased ammo to take the risk of using it in a $1000 firearm. If the extra cost is prohibitive, you should probably look into reloading anyway.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I've seen M4gerys sold chambered for 5.56, others for .223---which to purchase??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The only firearm I would have no problems firing Wolf ammo out of is an AK-47, but thanks for the tip. I'll be sure never to run Wolf through my AR once I get it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I've seen M4gerys sold chambered for 5.56, others for .223---which to purchase??
    Definitely 5.56. You can shoot .233 in a 5.56 chamber, but not the other way around.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Definitely 5.56. You can shoot .233 in a 5.56 chamber, but not the other way around.

Matt
    Exactly! Stay clear of that Wolf steel case ammo. (If you love your rifle)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links