Several "Newbie" questions about AR15 components...

This is a discussion on Several "Newbie" questions about AR15 components... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Guys I have another thread going about ideas for my 1st and only AR15 but in researching this, I've come up with a number of ...

Thread: Several "Newbie" questions about AR15 components...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Guys I have another thread going about ideas for my 1st and only AR15 but in researching this, I've come up with a number of questions that I though would be best as a seperate post (moderatiors; sorry if I should have kept them together)

1. What are the little plastic loops I see on the bottoms of folks magazines? Magpul? They seem to make them, what are they fore besides pulling the mag out?

2. What is the easiest way to install a vertical grip out front along with a clamped on light? I don't want to get the 4 rail forearm if possible. I thought I saw a vertical grip that mounted under a standard forearm and even had a little rail on it's side for mounting a light.

3. Is there a good light set up that doesn't cost $400 or more? I read one artical that said you can use an LED light but not one that has an incandessent lamp? I have a Surefire light that's LED and was wondering if I could clamp that to the side of an AR or a Shot gun for that matter?

I'd appreciate your help and try not to laugh too hard about the "clip" things but I just had to ask

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    1. They are for more easily pulling a magazine out of a mag pouch.
    2. They do make foregrips with rails on the front. Surefire makes integrated light/foregrips. You can get rail attachments that will put a rail along the bottom of the handguard. UTG M16/AR15 Handguard Rail Set
    3. Incandescent lamps sometimes have the problem of recoil causing the batteries to slam into and break the lamp. LED does not have this problem. You can clamp the surefire no problem. The incandescent ones have a spring on the backside of the lamp to keep the recoil from damaging them. An AR-15 shouldn't have enough recoil to damage most lights anyway though.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

#1 Magpuls you can make your own from Para Cord..just pulling the mags out of you webgear

#2 you can get bolt on RAils to std handguards Try Midwest industrys . but i heard you can crack the stock forarms pretty easy

#3 what every light you can find that fits it .. they make various mounts even one that is build into the forward grip

One solution for the foregrip/light is to mount the rail on the bottom of your handguard. Attach the foregrip where you want. Attach the light using a picatinny scope ring leaving an inch of space between the foregrip and the tailcap. You can hold the foregrip and push your index finger forward to turn on the light.

Don't worry about the handguards cracking. I've seen it happen, but it takes a LOT of abuse to damage them.
    -Ryan

Never saw the point in the forgrip I didnt find it comfortable to shoot with .. What am i missing

It just promotes a more natural wrist angle. I don't have one and frequently find myself using the mag well as one. Bad technique, I know.
    -Ryan

Hey what ever works .. Like i said i didn't find it comfortable to use one ..

I never used the foregrip until I came to SOF, and I don't think I could ever go back. First it helps fight off that fatigue you get when you've gone through and cleared 20 rooms of a large complex... longer you're holding that baby at the high or low ready you'll notice a huge difference with it being on there. Second is making it a lot easier in "driving" your gun. Gives you that extra edge of control to get your sights where you want them on target fast. Also, I have noticed that running my thumb up the side of the grip instead of curling it around to meet my other fingers gives my guiding ability an even more noticeable boost. Small things that make me more comfortable behind my gun, and you need all the confidence you can get going into a live fire situation, especially when you may be clearing multiple rooms at one time in a house, and missing that BG means the potential to put a round through a wall and hit your buddy the next room over.

As for Magpuls, half the guys on my team have them, half don't. Most of the old school guys don't need them, as their mag changes are pretty damn good without them. I prefer the Ranger floorplates they sell, to the basic Magpul models. Guys with bigger meat hooks like the basic ones you've probably seen more of. Problem yo'll find with the old paracord method is that after awhile that cord just doesn't hold its shape very well, especially if you use mag carriers that come down over the top of the magazine.

I've used a cut section of bicycle inner tube to accomplish a similar effect as the 550. Holds it's shape better.
    -Ryan

Sponsored Links