Sig556

Sig556

This is a discussion on Sig556 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I see a lot of commentary about AR15s as well as their variants, but what about the SigSaur SIG556. Is there any of you that ...

Thread: Sig556

Sig556

I see a lot of commentary about AR15s as well as their variants, but what about the SigSaur SIG556.

Is there any of you that have one? If so, your impressions in comparison to an AR?
    Do any of you know of their performance reputation?

Why wouldn't the SIG556 be considered by those that are in the market for an AR or variant? The cost is comparable to a high end AR variant.
    Last edited by Ogri; February 13th, 2008 at 10:11 PM.

i'd love to have one. they take AR mags which is a huge plus for me and i have a fondness for sig rifles anyway. i just wish the local gunshops stocked them.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

i have one. great trigger. much easier to maintain than an AR. very accurate. but, it's more front heavy. i would also venture to say that it's more reliable than a typical AR, although i don't have any formal research to prove it.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Haven't shot one myself, but I've heard from a few people that the triggers on them are very nice, and they shoot a pretty tight group. On the down side I've also heard they can have pretty bad hair days with less than decent environmental conditions. I think Sig keeps their tolerances pretty tight, which makes them shoot like a dream, but add in rain, mud, snow, dust, ice what have you and those high tolerances show their downsides. For rangework, and light duty I'd buy one, as a be all carry rifle I'd choose another AR variant.

Lead Moderator
    For a lot of information on the 556, may I suggest a quick trip to the SIGForum. You can also do a quick here since I believe there have been a couple threads posted.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

This new 556 features some really neat stuff. There is a used one on the rack at my favorite gunshop, and I have to wonder why someone has already put it up for sale. All the reading I've done says that Sig Sauer really did their home work. Of course, if they'd REALLY wanted to make ME happy, they'd have offered a 6.8 Remington (that 6.8 is a BEAUTIFUL cartridge). Better still, gimme' it in .308!!

The next black rifle I buy will DEFINITELY be a Grendel 6.5 from Alexander Arms. I have quickly fallen in love with that round and the company. But there is little doubt that this new Sig is a beaut.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I handled a 556 a couple of weeks ago...one word: heavy

I'd still get one though. They have some good deals over on SIGForum.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

They are nice but, I would hold out till the end of the year when H&K brings the 416 or better yet the 417. It is proven by our special forces in the sandbox as one of the best br you can own. I'm just glad there bringing them over here for us civis. not to start a sig vs H&K war but the 417 is awsome to say the least. Man I want to shoot one.

HKPRO EXCLUSIVE! HK416 and 417 CIVILIAN SALE!

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Administrator
    A guy at work uses one for patrol... it neat, works and shoots well etc., but I'm not sure there is any advantage over a quality AR.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links