Aimpoint M3

This is a discussion on Aimpoint M3 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am in the process of of deciding / purchasing another AR and want optics for it. I have the ability to purchase an AimPoint ...

Thread: Aimpoint M3

Aimpoint M3

I am in the process of of deciding / purchasing another AR and want optics for it. I have the ability to purchase an AimPoint M3 w/ the 4MOA reticle for approx. $350 total cost. I see them on the internet for around $500. So, is this $350 the great deal I think it is?

Also, any reasons to prefer the 2MOA dot or the 4MOA dot?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

$350 sounds like a good deal as long as it isn't a Chinese knockoff. If you look at the Comp ML3 or the Comp C3 you may prefer one of them - they aren't designed for night vision, or waterproof to the bottom of the ocean, but they are less expensive.

Some say you can turn up the brightness on a 2 MOA and make it look like a 4 MOA. Some say you can turn down the brightness on a 4 MOA and make it look like a 2 MOA. That's all I have to say about that!

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    $350 sounds like a good deal as long as it isn't a Chinese knockoff. If you look at the Comp ML3 or the Comp C3 you may prefer one of them - they aren't designed for night vision, or waterproof to the bottom of the ocean, but they are less expensive.

Some say you can turn up the brightness on a 2 MOA and make it look like a 4 MOA. Some say you can turn down the brightness on a 4 MOA and make it look like a 2 MOA. That's all I have to say about that!

Austin
    The deal is limited to left over stock and I believe the M3 and the ML3 are the only ones available. How would I tell if it is a Chinese knockoff? I don't think it is, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks.

Just personal opinion, but we've all shelved our Aimpoints once we got in our EOTech's made by L3 Comm. Not sure what the street price is on them though, as they're issued.

That's a pretty decent price for the CompM3 model. It's NV compatible should you ever run into a good deal on a piece of NODS or PVS/14, but it's not my decding factor.

I have the 2 MOA dot. At 100 meters you'll see the difference between the 2 MOA and 4 MOA, trust me on this and it gets even worse for a 300 meter shot with a 4 MOA dot.

I think everyone one is starting to pony up on the CompM4 model with the AA battery ACET technology, but for $720 I'll pass and stick with my M2 and M3 models. Yes the battery life with a AA alkaline or lithium in the M4 is 80, 000 hours if used on a brightness setting of "7" but I just talked with a that works at a major tactical equipment manufacture that had his M4 go down after just 8-10 months of constant on use.

The M3 is a great optic, one of the best, unless you like the EOtech reticle and that damned "square" picture window to look through. I own one, but I run my Aimpoints most of the time.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Skygod - thanks for the detailed response. Being that the deal is a good one, I assume that I can buy it and if I don't like it, I should be able to sell without a loss.

And I just found out that there are a few 2moa and a few 4moa.

I am going to check it out this weekend and if I like it, i'll just order it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    Skygod - thanks for the detailed response. Being that the deal is a good one, I assume that I can buy it and if I don't like it, I should be able to sell without a loss.

And I just found out that there are a few 2moa and a few 4moa.

I am going to check it out this weekend and if I like it, i'll just order it.

Thanks.
    The CompM3 will run for 50,000 hrs on a brightness setting of "7" and for 500,000 hrs on any of the NV settings.

I'd strongly rec' that you purchase the LaRue Tactical "HIGH" mount or the "Cantilever" mount for the M3. It's called the "CCO" mount.

LT Cantivlever mount: LaRue Tactical Cantilever CompM2 LT-129

LT HIGH mount: LaRue Tactical Comp M2 Mount QD LT-150
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Thanks for the input. I have picked the last (from my friend) aimpoint Comp M3 with the 2MOA. He recommended the LaRue Cantilever mount. That would be next.

The only issue is, I need to get another AR to mount this on (I ponied up and bought an EOTech recently and put it on my Stag). Oh, the humanity.

Skygod - thanks for the input.

Aimpoint produces excellent optics. You will not be sorry you purchased the M3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    The M3 is a great optic, one of the best, unless you like the EOtech reticle and that damned "square" picture window to look through. I own one, but I run my Aimpoints most of the time.
    I prefer the Aimpoint to the Eotech as well.

Links