Your thoughts on H&K 416/417

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on H&K 416/417 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm holding my breath that they are available late this year and will start saving now for one. The AR is a great gun no ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on H&K 416/417

Your thoughts on H&K 416/417

I'm holding my breath that they are available late this year and will start saving now for one. The AR is a great gun no doubt but this gun has cool dripping off it. The H&K will be my next to buy if it makes it here. My two now and my next one if it comes in time (dems)

HKPRO EXCLUSIVE! HK416 and 417 CIVILIAN SALE!

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Again, aside from the HK name, where is the big advantage over an AR?

I dont know, I'm really asking what the difference is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

read this
    HKPRO: The HK416

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

JD
    Administrator
    So in other words, not much other than the gas piston....

I don't know if I'm willing to lay out that kind of $$$ when a standard AR works just fine.

We've got the LWRC models, we've got the Busmaster MASADA (whenever it comes out for sale), the Sig 556, and as the link above states, Colt is coming out with a gas piston carbine.

There's other options than the HK, it all matters on price, and none of them seem to be "cheap".

Heat!! cool keeps it oiled and firing. There is another article from a delta member in afg. I'm looking for that stated there unit had 15 ar jams to 1 416. In a fight I want our men to have the best odds possible no matter who makes it. oh yea I want one.

JD
    Administrator
    So the 416 will still jam? Ratios are fine as long as were comparing apples to apples. Are we comparing a brand new never before issued 416 to a brand new never before issued M4 or M16? Probably not, even the M4s in the field are starting to get a little "aged" and unit level armory support has never been what I would call good.

I'm sure i will never put my AR's thru the abuse it would take to make them jam.never had a failure yet as a civi. But it is a cleaner, cooler redesign on the best rifle ever made. Plus It's a good excuse to buy another rifle. LOL So when the lady of the house says another ar, I can say no, it's better.
    Plus it looks cool

JD
    Administrator
    I dig HKs, and the cool factor, but there's only so much I'm willing to pay for a name, like I said, it's all about the price.

I wouldn't mind having a gas piston variant, but at current cost, I think I'll pass.

LWRC doesn't even list pricing on their website, that scares me.

I think for now, I'm just going to scrounge and save for a Noveske, given the actual features and "enhancements" I think it's a pretty good buy when compared to a similar setup from another manufacturer.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I dig HKs, and the cool factor, but there's only so much I'm willing to pay for a name, like I said, it's all about the price.

I wouldn't mind having a gas piston variant, but at current cost, I think I'll pass.

LWRC doesn't even list pricing on their website, that scares me.

I think for now, I'm just going to scrounge and save for a Noveske, given the actual features and "enhancements" I think it's a pretty good buy when compared to a similar setup from another manufacturer.
    All and all. I think a Gas gun works fine. I don't know to many civies that use a gun to the point they need a Piston driven gun.

I want the Masada strickty because of the "COOL" Factor and I can hunt deer in VA with it as well.

Not to mention it may be the last real advanced assault style rifle us civilians may be able to own. If everybodies worse fears materialize.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Bushmaster over an H&K ? To each is his own. i want the 417 I started to but a AR-10 but want to wait on the 417. I still may get it if it don't look like they will make it over here by the end of the year.
    +1 cool factor. Life is to short to own ugly guns, I just can't justify an STI

JD have you seen a price point on the 416 yet?

It's a future weapon!! nuff said!!!

Administrator
    I dunno, maybe its the bird hunter in me, but I'll take a gas gun over a piston driven anyday. In particular with a gun that needs to be accurate, and shoot high volumes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't really see the big deal with shelling out what H&K will want for a semi auto version of the 416 or 417. In the end, it still shoots 5.56 Nato and .223 Remington. Yeah, what's the hurry ?

I'd rather have a direct impingment rifle with all the goodies then to have an H&K 416 without them.

I like all things H&K, and I own several pistols and the Mk23 but I don't see a need to spend over $2,000 for a rifle with a fancy operating rod system. I'm not in the business of crawling through mud, flying in helo's, fast ropping into a sand storm or spending day's one end in the high ground of Tora Bora in freezing temperatures. After all, this operating system was designed to be practically flawless in the most austere conditions. Yes, that's good thing.

With that in mind I can run any of my AR's with a heavy lube without any failures for thousands of rounds without a cleaning. If I have failures, it's usually a magazine problem or extractor spring problem. That is fixed in less than 5 minutes, assuming I have an extractor spring in my hand dandy compartment in my grip.

If you like the name, and the rifle, be my guest, but personally I'd rather spend all that money on another AR with every single goodie that I want.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

I would like one just because, and the local gunshop has layaway so irregardless of price I will probably get one if they do appear on the civilian market.
    "If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon, you will be a minister of death praying for war. "R. Lee Ermey---FMJ"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links