Bedstand rifle?

This is a discussion on Bedstand rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone else keep a .308 rifle as a bedstand gun? I've got a 12 ga. with 00 express buck also, but some people keep ARs/M4s ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedstand rifle?

Bedstand rifle?

Anyone else keep a .308 rifle as a bedstand gun? I've got a 12 ga. with 00 express buck also, but some people keep ARs/M4s and AKs also for HD. I see Hornady makes a TAP round in .308 Win. I've tried finding terminal ballistics mostly on Hornady's site and on theboxotruth.com on these types of rounds (personal defense) to no avail. I have a CETME with 20-round mags which is a heck of a lot of firepower, I keep loaded with PSP rounds. I'm going to be using it for 3-gun, but wouldn't mind if it pulled double duty.

I don't think this topic gets brought up very often, so I thought I would ask if anybody had any good insight to using medium-bore rifles for home defense.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

2. Remove Ads

.308 Win ? Can't imagine using in close quarters like a house where the envirenment is "semi permissive" I'd be concerend with over penetration at such close distances.

I have a shotgun as my bed stand weapon.

I do have one AR that is next to it, but it's now sitting with a mag full of 50 grain franges. I doubt I'd pick it up and use it when I've got the choice of that or the shotgun.

The Shotgun is the Benelli M1 Super 90.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Senior Moderator
    I use a M1 carbine as the main Felon repellant device in our house.

Lower recoil, short length to use indoors and equilivant to .357mag power wise.

The main problem with a CETME or most FAL's is the length. Unless you have wide doors and halls it will be hard to maneuver a full size battle rifle indoors.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Cool

Shotgun, 12 gauge number 4 buck!

.308 even with tap is pretty dangerous for overpenetration in a home defense close quarters situation. A shotgun will be the most devestating, but its actually been shown that an AR-15 with frangible or v-max bullets will actually penetrate less then a shot gun. If I had to use a .308 for home defense I would use TAP ammo.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

seems a little bit like overkill, stick with the shotty

I've used an HK G-3 before, but I'm basically just going to an AK-47 at this point. I got an offer on the G3 that I couldn't pass up.
    We're out in the country and I want something with ballistics to shoot through barriers outside our house, like a car door perhaps. There are no other people in our home but my wife and I, and no neighbors would be affected even by rifle fire. I still like the 308 round a lot.
    For TAP:
    110 grain 3050 fps, penetration in gelatin 9.75", 82% fragmentation (yep, only 20 grains remaining).
    155 grain, 2623 fps, penetration 14", 24% fragmentation
    168 grain, 2485 fps, penetration 17", 18% fragmentation
    shot from an M1A scout, 18" barrel

hope that helps -

I have a carbine conversion for 45acp that stays in the bedroom, I also have a 44Mag leveraction. I have no Shotgun, I have only shot a shotgun twice in my life. I have thought of buying one, but my rifle will fill the bill. If I had ammo for my 25-20 it would probably work for a house gun.

I use to keep an AR-15, but I sold it years ago and now days I just keep a Glock 17, with a spare 31 shot clip laying nearby.

When we are ruff camping out in the sticks, (not in a park) I keep a 243 or 30-30 laying just in side the door.

If you live out in the country, a rifle is great for protecting your property, but for in the house intruder, I’d use a pistol your good at shooting.

Not a .308......a 12 ga Mossberg with 00 buck and my Cx4 9mm and of course my Beretta 90Two 9mm pistol.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Primary bedroom long gun is a short-barreled pump action 12 gauge full of .00 buck.
    I also have a model 1894 Winchester 30-30 lever action loaded up just inside the closet, in case for some reason I had to engage targets at a distance. That's the only rifle I have that I'd feel comfortable using in combat; bolt-action doesn't excite me much for self defense.

If I had one, I'd happily keep an AK variant (preferably in 7.62) for a home defense gun.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

If using a .308 for HD I would load it with something in the 150+ to ensure adequate penetration. Hornady makes some good ammo in this range and I'd probably use that. If you have neighbors close by or kids on the other side of the wall, the shotgun might be a better choice.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i feel like the .308 would have too much penetration for me...
    I keep an 870 with no 8's loaded in the tube. I don't even use buck shot...
    i feel like there is no need.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Over penetration would definately be a concern for me. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by David III View Post
    I've used an HK G-3 before, but I'm basically just going to an AK-47 at this point. I got an offer on the G3 that I couldn't pass up.
    We're out in the country and I want something with ballistics to shoot through barriers outside our house, like a car door perhaps. There are no other people in our home but my wife and I, and no neighbors would be affected even by rifle fire. I still like the 308 round a lot.
    For TAP:
    110 grain 3050 fps, penetration in gelatin 9.75", 82% fragmentation (yep, only 20 grains remaining).
    155 grain, 2623 fps, penetration 14", 24% fragmentation
    168 grain, 2485 fps, penetration 17", 18% fragmentation
    shot from an M1A scout, 18" barrel

hope that helps -
    Thank you, that is exactly the kind of information I was trying to find.

I know the .308 would more than likely be excessive, I have the 870 now and the SW1911. The CETME is mostly a SHTF/Zombie piece outside of 3-gun.

With an 18" cylinder bore barrel the 870 is about the same length and the doors here are pretty wide.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links