need info on mausers

This is a discussion on need info on mausers within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; want to get some input on the german mausers K 98 in 8mm. Are the ones they sell at the gun shows for under a ...

Thread: need info on mausers

need info on mausers

want to get some input on the german mausers K 98 in 8mm. Are the ones they sell at the gun shows for under a hundred dollars any good.? Are they shootable ? Thinking about getting one and kinda what to know what I'm getting into.. thanks in advance..

2. Remove Ads

its been abt 30 yrs or so when I owned a 8mm mauser and if I remember correctly, you need to make sure of the bore diameter..some of the "older ones" were .318 and the newer mauser ammo was .325..trying to push a .325 thru an older .318 would created disasterous pressures with possible fatal results..again, thats if I remember correctly..anyone else with better info?

If you can, go to Mitchell's and buy one of theirs. I got mine for about $350 total (I made my anti-gun father buy it for Christmas in exchange for me not making him an NRA member that year) and I got a brand-new Mauser that was essentially a collector-grade gun. I bought some ammo for it and it shot OK, but the trigger was, well, it was a trigger. I went out and bought a copy of Shotgun news and found a vendor who had a better trigger assembly which I bought under $100 which dramatically improved my accuracy (I went from 5" groups at 100 yards to 2"). I also found a cheap scope mount that went in place of the rear sight assembly, and it has worked out just fine. All in all, I would advise you to spend the money and get an essentially new Mauser while they last. I know I have had both and I promise you this deal will save you a lot of grief and experimentation.

Just my .02
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerdd2 View Post
    want to get some input on the german mausers K 98 in 8mm. Are the ones they sell at the gun shows for under a hundred dollars any good.? Are they shootable ? Thinking about getting one and kinda what to know what I'm getting into.. thanks in advance..
    A lot depends on when it was manufactured. My Dad had one that was made in 1943 and is a great rifle. Later on, due to the shortage of strategic metals and skilled labor some of the K98s weren't the greatest.

Factory ammo for the 8X57 is usually watered down. To get anything like full performance you'll have to hand load. Again, if it's one other later ones made close to the end of the war I'd proceed with caution.

I took my first two deer using Dad's old K98 shooting handloads using 160 gr Speer semi-spitzer bullets. Worked like a champ!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    its been abt 30 yrs or so when I owned a 8mm mauser and if I remember correctly, you need to make sure of the bore diameter..some of the "older ones" were .318 and the newer mauser ammo was .325..trying to push a .325 thru an older .318 would created disasterous pressures with possible fatal results..again, thats if I remember correctly..anyone else with better info?
    Only the really old Mausers were .318. After 1903 the diameter was changed to .323. Here's a good article.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

VIP Member
    For accuracy, it's hit and miss. I bought one when they went on sale for a good price. I looked at 5 before I found one that didn't have rust in the barrel or serious pitting someplace else. Take your time looking for one, check them over well before buying and you have a better chance of getting a good one. Mine turned out to be a good shooter, by the way.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I have one made in 1938, I think it was a little over 200 bucks when bought. Its an accurate rifle with quite a kick.

The only ones that I have ever seen under 100 were either Turkish or Czech, don't know anything about them.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

thanks for the info. how about a mosin nangant, seems like a nice rifle..

VIP Member
    If you can find one I'd recommend a Yuqo m48 mauser. They were produced after the war in Yugoslavia on the original german tooling set up there during the war. They made about a million of them, and when the AK-47 appeared they became instantly obselete. They were never issued, and have sat "new in cosmoline" for 60 years. They shoot like a new rifle should, and since they were made after WWII you won't pay the collectable premium associated with the German k98. In summation they look and function like a new k98 Mauser, but you can get one "new" for around 150 bucks. This was what Mitchell Mausers was selling for years for around $350 until collectors complained that they were not K98s they thought they were buying.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Consider picking up a copy of the book Mauser Bolt Rifles, by Ludwig Olsen. It's about $60 or so, but it is a fantastic book on Mausers. It literally has everything you'd want to know, including the variants made, which countries licensed them, the features of each.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Also, check Surplusrifle.com for info. Be sure to check their forum, too.

Be safe,
    Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Links