12ga w/collapsable stock for me & my wife?

This is a discussion on 12ga w/collapsable stock for me & my wife? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I grew up with an old 870, so when I get around to buying a shotgun, it'll be an 870. The purpose will be home ...

Thread: 12ga w/collapsable stock for me & my wife?

12ga w/collapsable stock for me & my wife?

I grew up with an old 870, so when I get around to buying a shotgun, it'll be an 870. The purpose will be home defense - if I get into other things (skeet, hunting, etc), I'll either get a 2nd gun, or I'll buy extra parts for my HD gun.

This must be usable for both me (5' 11', long arms) & my wife (5' 4", average arm length). I'm thinking about the tactical model, or any other model with the collapsible stock, so that both of us will be able to use it easily & comfortably.

Anyone have any reasons not to get a collapsible stock? I've read a few comments here that were less-than-complimentary regarding collapsible stocks on shotguns, but none of them really say why.

I did read another recent thread that covered the pistol grip issue. It looked to me basically that the conclusion is that it doesn't really do anything for the shooter, especially for someone who grew up duck hunting with a "standard" 870. Is this right? If my wife decided she preferred it, would there be any reason to insist on not going with the pistol grip?

Thanks all!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

2. Remove Ads

No problem with a collapsable stock... as long as it's a Knoxx Specops stock! I put the Knoxx Specops collapsable recoil reducing stock on my Mossberg 500 12 gauge. I had the Mossy speedfeed on it before getting the Knoxx and man what a difference! Color me impressed! Recoil now is absolutely minimal and you could shoot this Mossy all day long with full power loads and not even mind it at all. I brought the gun to my NRA class last weekend and the instructors LOVED it! Each of them fired it during free-fire and 2 of them were impressed enough that they stated that they were going to pick one up now that they had a chance to try one out. They were impressed as to the recoil reduction and the controllability that the setup allows.

If you go shotgun and you want an adjustable stock, the Knoxx is the only way to go IMHO.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    No problem with a collapsable stock... as long as it's a Knoxx Specops stock! I put the Knoxx Specops collapsable recoil reducing stock on my Mossberg 500 12 gauge. I had the Mossy speedfeed on it before getting the Knoxx and man what a difference! Color me impressed! Recoil now is absolutely minimal and you could shoot this Mossy all day long with full power loads and not even mind it at all. I brought the gun to my NRA class last weekend and the instructors LOVED it! Each of them fired it during free-fire and 2 of them were impressed enough that they stated that they were going to pick one up now that they had a chance to try one out. They were impressed as to the recoil reduction and the controllability that the setup allows.

If you go shotgun and you want an adjustable stock, the Knoxx is the only way to go IMHO.
    Does your Knoxx have play in it when it's extended at all. I've heard that they are loose in this regard. The reason that I ask is I've been looking at buying one of those for my Mossberg. Thanks.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

if you get a collapsible stock then you'd want the pistol grip. In fact I don't see any shotguns with a collapsible stock without a pistol grip.

I'm no fan of shooting from the "Hip" and I'd much rather have the weapon shouldered then not shouldered.

If you swap out the factory stock, fixed or collapsible, to the Knoxx Spec Ops stock your wife will have no problem handling recoil. With the addition of the pistol grip and reduced recoil the training curve is short and quick.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

+1 to the Mossberg 500. Check out the JIC's, Persuaders, Defenders, and Tactical 500's - all are GREAT in price and performance.
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

Administrator
    I dont really have a problem with the collapsible stock, except for the ability to get a decent check weld, they are ugly, and there really is no point in putting one on.

If you need a knoxx stock, you need to learn how to shoot a shotgun. The recoil is not bad at all no matter your size if your doing it right. Its just seems like wasted money to me.

I would definalty stick with the 870, you get what you pay for in a shotgun. If you are concerned about your wife being able to shoot it, try a youth stock... you will be able to adapt to that much easier than she to a full size. The collapsible isnt going to solve any problems there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sounds good to me! Pistol grip? Sure. That help with the recoil obviously. Out of the three shotguns I've had, two of them had the full length stock with pistol grip--one was one-piece, the other two-piece, and the other shotgun retained it's original wood stock. I've no experience in the newer collapsible stocks for shotguns, and really don't see a need for them personally. But if this is what is going to make it a modular, user specific, home defense arm for any family member--then by all means do it! IMO-if you go for a collapsible stock, the pistol grip is going to be a very good option to have at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If you need a knoxx stock, you need to learn how to shoot a shotgun. The recoil is not bad at all no matter your size if your doing it right. Its just seems like wasted money to me.

I know how to shoot a shotgun and I don't need the recoil-reducing stock. I am also certain that every tactical trainer I have let shoot that Mossberg with the Specops stock on it did not need it either but had nothing but good things to say about how easy it was to get follow up shots and run the gun faster. It's also easily adjustable for different arm lengths and/or if you have heavy clothing and/or are using body armor, the recoil reducing aspect is just a plus in my book. Waste of money to some, worth every damn penny to others.

Allen, as far as the movement at different positions, my Specops is rock solid throughout at any position. Myself and others have put hundreds of rounds through it since I got it and it has run beautifully. Just 2 weekends ago I had 3 ASLET/NRA/LFI instructors run through a couple scenarios with it and they came back with smiles on their faces. Nothing but good things to say.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Links