Thinking about a carbine

Thinking about a carbine

This is a discussion on Thinking about a carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With the recent discussions about bug-out gear I've been thnking about long guns. Something in .357 like the lever action Winchester clones. What sort of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

Thinking about a carbine

With the recent discussions about bug-out gear I've been thnking about long guns. Something in .357 like the lever action Winchester clones.

What sort of range can you expect? Are these powerful enough for hunting?

I've got a 10/22 for small game, and a 12g pump for home defense... but something longer-ranged might be nice... and I'd rather not add another type of ammo to the mix.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

357 Carbine isnt to bad it packs close to the punch of a 30/30 i belive i read out of a 16" barrel.

Just like in
    a handgun it would get the job done if needed. Course some will argue with this but i would only say the 357 in a carbine would be good to 100-125 yards unless you were running some barn burner homebrew loads.

At that point it is losing a lot of power just like the old 30/30 and should be considered marginal at best.

I would prefer a full on rifle for longer range but the Pistol caliber carbing come in mighty handy to and also cheep for plinking at least my 9mm Storm is

Assistant Administrator
    Bud refers to the CX-4 Storm - I enjoy mine and it does make best use of the 9mm round - it is possible to stretch that to 100 yards and still stay on the paper.

Re levers tho - yes - I reckon my Win 94 in .357 is plenty useful to 100 yards - not the tightest of groups, maybe as big as 8" including the odd flier but still - enough energy left to be of use. I have a Marlin 94 also, in .44 mag - that is well useful and actually has the longer barrel of the two - definitely a useful tool.

Then one other thought - I have the Marlin Camp 9 and Camp 45 - not the prettiest of guns but the .45 is still well useful and of course once again - using the common pistol round.

I think tho going back to .357 - I'd try to find a Marlin version '94, as a longer barrel is good IMO. I think Savage IIRC have a nice option too - and great value.

Pics - I don't have a pic of the Camp 45 but it looks same as Camp 9.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    tanksoldier, Don't know what you use for CCW,but if you carry a 9mm,.40S&W,or a .45ACP,you should take a close look at the Beretta Storm. With a red dot sight,I can put rds. on a 6" pie plate from 100yds out,very easily.(my weapon is .45ACP). The .357 is a good rd. if loaded with stiff charges and heavier bullets(180 and above). I have seen them kill 250-300 lb hogs without problem using hardcast bullets.---------

Lead Moderator
    for close brush a pistol caliber is ok, but any med. distance is gonna leave ya behind. 120 yrds + Also a .45,9mm .40 isn't really a good choice for deer size game.

Cool Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    With the recent discussions about bug-out gear I've been thnking about long guns. Something in .357 like the lever action Winchester clones.

What sort of range can you expect? Are these powerful enough for hunting?

I've got a 10/22 for small game, and a 12g pump for home defense... but something longer-ranged might be nice... and I'd rather not add another type of ammo to the mix.
    I had a .357 carbine from Winchester M94 Trapper lever action and I got rid of it. Preferred my M94 .30-30 anyday. The thutty thutty has been the tried and true standard for what? Over 100 years? It's benign looking and in fact stands as an American ICON. Good medium sized (game) medium range or bush range hunting rifle. Versitile. If I wanted a real combat carbine (and I do, so this one is on my list) I'll go for this: http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...es-socom.shtml It's a bit expensive, but heck, what's worth having is worth saving for. I have a good hunch that we're going to be needing all of this stuff in the near future. At least judging by New Orleans. I live in Miami and went thru Andrew (and six more over my lifetime including Katrina as a CAT 1). This is a new era of storms and probably terror. We can't count on anybody but ourselves, but that'll be enough if we can draw from our frontier heritage.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    All: Thanks for the info.

If I change my CCW to 9mm or .40 I might consider the Kel-Tec Sub 2000... any word on these? I've heard good things other places.

I like the .357 as a defense round, and I'm not lookng for a real combat firearm... I'd just buy an SKS and be done with it.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Thumbs up Kel-Tec Sub-2000

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    All: Thanks for the info.

If I change my CCW to 9mm or .40 I might consider the Kel-Tec Sub 2000... any word on these? I've heard good things other places.

I like the .357 as a defense round, and I'm not lookng for a real combat firearm... I'd just buy an SKS and be done with it.
    I had one of the original Kel-Tec folding carbines in 9mm and I had Browning grips attached so it could use Hi-Power mags. Then I bought a STACK of 30rd mags for not much $$ at all. It was reliable, accurate and portable. I loved that little gun, but it was a plinker for me at the time. NOW I wish I had one! I'd prolly like to get the .40 version and pick up some ultra Hi-Cap Glock mags for that. Then I could combine it with my M27 40.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Talking Pistol for LARGE Game?

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    for close brush a pistol caliber is ok, but any med. distance is gonna leave ya behind. 120 yrds + Also a .45,9mm .40 isn't really a good choice for deer size game.
    Then of course there is the new 454 Ruger Alaskan.....Snub nose that can drop a Grizzly.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Sorry guys but I'm going to throw my $.02 in here. If you're going to spend $500-$600 why not get yourself an AR-15. I bought a stripped lower reciever (Bushmaster) from my local gun store for $145 then bought a kit from www.model1sales.com for $475 for the M4 setup and put it together in about 2 hours having never done it before. The gun is not match grade but I can shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yds. and the collapsible stock let's my 9 and 11 year old kids shoot it.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Marlin .357 with 20" barrel and set of peep sights [no batteries required] should do a good job for your purpose.

I use a 44 Special/Mag with the same setup, and the load I use, uses a 180gr JHP at 1250fps from 4" handgun [44 Special], and I'll guess [will chrono Monday] around 1600 to 1700fps from the 20" Marlin.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I've recently purchased an 1894 in .44 Magnum and I do not regret it at all. I don't think it's the idea gun by any stretch of the imagination but for me it made a lot of sense:

1.) I plan to start reloading in the upcoming months. .44 Magnum is a chambering that lends itself to much diversity and a good place to start

2.) I will always love revolvers, so getting rifles in revolver calibers makes a lot of sense for me

3.) It fits right behind my seat

4.) No one will question it as it could easily be a deer rifle where I live (lots of short shots)

5.) Easily maintained

6.) I like lever action rifles for no good reason

7.) I honestly feel that I can probably lay out as much meaningful fire with this rifle as I could with something more "evil" looking

I think I had a thread on this somewhere....

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Euc, Something else is that even the 16" carbines will hold at least 7 rds. and most will hold 9 or 10.(44spec rds.)This is true for the non .30-30ies and the like. That's not bad firepower.

Euc if you want high capacity get an AR15 with collapsible stock. But remember that FIREPOWER isn't volume of fire, it's HITS. Accuracy beats noise everytime. I'd rather the satisfying thump of the .30-30. But OTOH, there is a certain balance in having a handgun chambered for the carbine, too. That's one reason the .44-40 caught on in the old west. But that was a pretty insipid round. If I were going to go this route I'd get a revolver in 45LC and a lever action in 45LC. Maybe the Ruger Alaskan and you'd have three guns while carrying only two.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    If you are using rifled slugs (or have a rifled barrel) out of your shotgun, you will be able to reach out and touch someone to 100 yards. And if you can't kill something with a 12 gauge, you should be running like hell!

Personally, I'm looking for a M1 Carbine - loaded with softpoints it will definitely do the job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links