My New 870

This is a discussion on My New 870 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought this hardly shot 870 Express. I haven't decided yet if it'll be used for HD or become a truck gun. I noticed ...

Thread: My New 870

My New 870

I just bought this hardly shot 870 Express. I haven't decided yet if it'll be used for HD or become a truck gun. I noticed it has the lockable safety on it which I didn't get the key for. I remember reading somewhere that you can install a normal safety in it but can't remember if you replace it with a factory part or if it's an aftermaket part. Does anyone know? I plan on adding a sling and a side saddle and was thinking about upgrading the follower. Is there anything else I need to address on this gun or just go shoot it and have fun with it?

Here are some pics. Looks like all the others.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ksokie View Post
    Is there anything else I need to address on this gun or just go shoot it and have fun with it?
    Don't get "mod-it-out" fever yet!

The 870 is a solid performer out of the box and nothing at all NEEDS to be changed. Sure you can customize and perhaps improve a few things, but it'll shoot fine out of the box.

Personally? I like a folding stock, many here disagree and it's purely a matter of personal taste.
    Sidesaddle is a great idea - I like to put one of those 5-round belt-clip shell holders on the sling, too :)
    A tac light is kind of nice for a home defense shotgun, because typically both your hands will be busy. I don't like the theory of a tac light if you have kids or etc... (ID'ing your kids involves covering them with the muzzle, so bad idea, but if no kids are around, I like it).

Nice purchase! Arguably one of the best close quarters weapons in the world. If you take care of it, it will probably outlive you.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I love Keep It Simple Stupid shotguns. Very nice.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Damn those are just NICE lookin' shotguns. haha Congrats.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Thanks for the comments. I don't want to make it tacticool. I just want it to be reliable, which I know it is from the factory, but I want to have a few options also. I know there are several companies that make accessories for it like the side saddle, but which one makes the most reliable. I don't to buy something that doesn't work or breaks from use and have to spend money on a better one later. I'd rather spend money on good parts first. It doesn't have any sling attachments on it. Does anyone make them that mount on the end of the mag extension or to the bottom of the clamp that attaches the barrel and the extension? The extension mount has a hole in the bottom of it which I presume is to mount a sling to. If not what else would it be used for?
    This isn't my first shotgun as I have been an avid hunter for more than a decade, but it is my first HD purpose shotgun. I have used these before with the sheriff's dept. but those were all factory stock random shotguns. Typical LE weapons with no accessories.

+1 on the collapsable stock. Get the AR 6-position stock with 5 built in shell holders ;)

Nice shotty, keep it clean and it won't matter how many rounds are through it.
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

I say just shoot the crap out of it if you can. The 870 is a good solid shot gun. Congrats!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Congrats on the new 870 !! That looks just like mine, and I love mine.
    Only things I have done was to replace the foregrip with a Hoge foregrip
    and then I added a side saddle shell holder, The Hoge foregrip was a big
    improvement over the plastic stock one.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Ok, so how about these for some add-ons. They are all from Wilson Combat. If you guys know of better parts or better deals please let me know.

Jumbo Head Safety

Side Saddle

Wilson Combat 870 Burnsed Sling Loop

I'm not real sure about the sling loop but am looking for good ideas because there are no sling attachments on the gun right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ksokie View Post
    Ok, so how about these for some add-ons. They are all from Wilson Combat. If you guys know of better parts or better deals please let me know.

Jumbo Head Safety

Side Saddle

Wilson Combat 870 Burnsed Sling Loop

I'm not real sure about the sling loop but am looking for good ideas because there are no sling attachments on the gun right now.
    This is predictable, since I used to work for 'em, but look at EVERYTHING that Advanced Technology Inc. makes for the 870. Great stuff, durable and guaranteed for life.

Rifle Stocks and other Gunstocks for AK, AR, SKS and more - Advanced Technology, Inc.

Congrats on your new gun!! She's a beaut!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Links