Benelli Super Nova Tactical Pump Shotgun

This is a discussion on Benelli Super Nova Tactical Pump Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was nosing around a gun shop Friday and ran across a Benelli Super Nova Tactical Pump Shotgun. Loved the look, feel and action of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benelli Super Nova Tactical Pump Shotgun

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Benelli Super Nova Tactical Pump Shotgun

I was nosing around a gun shop Friday and ran across a Benelli Super Nova Tactical Pump Shotgun. Loved the look, feel and action of this gun. Anyone have any experience with it? I know Benelli has a good reputation, so this might make a wonderful HD shotgun. Let me know your thoughts.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I have a regular Nova, it's a tank, one of the only two things I dodn't like (lack of a pistol grip and lack of after market fore ends) has been addressed in the Super Nova.

2-3/4? Sure
    3" Sure thing
    3.5" HECK YES!

It'll run what ever shell you want to shoot.

The Benelli safety though is not at all intuitive.
    In fact it's completely confusing and IIRC they ship a DVD to explain how to _use_ the safety.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The Benelli safety though is not at all intuitive.
    In fact it's completely confusing and IIRC they ship a DVD to explain how to _use_ the safety.

- Janq
    Mine is just a push button on the trigger guard...

....It's on or it's off.

The one I looked at was just a push button also.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I was just looking at their site and looks like you could by a 18.5" barrel, a slug barrel, and a 28" with screw in chokes and have a good all around survival tool.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

I was handling one two months ago and then again this past Saturday.
    They both had sliding metal tab near the trigger group that I believe was multi positional.
    Back in December when I first inquired about this to the dealer he responded to me yeah it's a tad confusing and he was the one that stated the gun comes with a DVD explaining amongst other things how to work the safety vis a vis this tab.

Yesterday I was back looking at Mossbergs and inquiring about ordering a Marlin when a different dude suggested I take a peek at a Stoeger 2000 they had on sale. Same trigger group and as I fingered the same button without me saying a word he responded yeah the safety is a "PITA" (his words) and isn't as intuitive and easy as that of the Mossberg tang based safety. Prior to me picking up the Stoeger we had been discussing the differences between Mossy and Remy (he's a Mossy fan for turkey and deer) and he'd commented that he preferred the Mossy safety to all including the Remy.
    Then with that he walked over to the discounted price Stoeger and offered to let me hold on to that too...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have a super nova for a bird gun. I am waiting for one of the local shops to get a tactical in so I can grop.... I mean check the feel of it.

I love my bird gun. The only thing I could suggest is don't be afraid about racking it hard. The only time it has given me a problem is when I opened the action soft so I could unload it without having to chase a shell several feet. That jammed it up pretty good with 1 live shell trapped in the extractor and the live shell below it wanting to push up and feed in the chamber. After that, I have done nothing but rack it hard and never had a problem with it since. I just have to go chase the shells a few feet.

Edit: I don't have any funky safety on my gun and it never came with a DVD. Basic button, safety on or safety off. The metal tab on my gun is for releasing the chamber lock when it is loaded which is no different than any other pump shotgun I have had. There is a button on the fore end which allows the shooter to open the action without having a shell from the feed tube pop out to go in the chamber. Its a nice thought, but I have never used it. I am too stuck on opening the action and tilting the gun so that the next round just falls out.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    Nice guns for sure...I haven't purchased one only 'cause I have two good defensive shotguns already.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Administrator
    I've never cared for the Benelli pumps.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going to give this gun a close look.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I was handling one two months ago and then again this past Saturday.
    They both had sliding metal tab near the trigger group that I believe was multi positional.
    Back in December when I first inquired about this to the dealer he responded to me yeah it's a tad confusing and he was the one that stated the gun comes with a DVD explaining amongst other things how to work the safety vis a vis this tab.
    The safeties for the Nova and Super Nova are standard button safeties. Red ring visible = safety off, no red ring = safety on. The safety is located in front of the trigger, inside the trigger guard.

The sliding metal tab you are talking about is the action locking mechanism. It is located in front of the trigger guard, and is separated from the safety by the trigger guard. It is used when mounting a barrel, and it is also used when ejecting a round from the chamber prior to a manual load (the easier and quicker way is to use the button override on the foregrip to eject a round without loading one from the magazine). If your salesman was calling this the safety, then your salesman's knowledge should be suspect.

I had to sell my Nova for money reasons while waiting for my transplant, but I'm replacing it, this year, with a Super Nova. It is ideally suited to the role of HD shotgun: chromed barrel, eats anything available, foregrip button magazine override for rapid manual loading, weather/corrosion resistant, accepts a variety of barrels for hunting as well as HD. Easy to maintain, simple design, few parts. My Nova was solid as a rock. I'm sure my Super Nova will be, too.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    I was nosing around a gun shop Friday and ran across a Benelli Super Nova Tactical Pump Shotgun. Loved the look, feel and action of this gun. Anyone have any experience with it? I know Benelli has a good reputation, so this might make a wonderful HD shotgun. Let me know your thoughts.
    Mike
    I've got one and man do I love it...It's the best present I ever bought myself I put a mag extension on it but that's it. I'm not real big on lights, slings, sirens, particle beams, death rays and all that. (although a bayonet would be nice for the sheer un-pcness) To bad there's no lug. In fact, there's really not a lot of aftermarket stuff for this gun so if you're really into that you might want to look into a remmy or a mossy. Still, I'd rather keep this gun over the others. It just feels and shoots great. It's very solid, easy to clean and reliable. It oozes quality. I wouldn't hesitate one second longer...pull the trigger...you won't be disappointed.

Cloud thanks for the input. I also am not into all the bells and whistles. Don't even know if I would go with the magazine extension? However I might go with a flash light mounted on it.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

This is a pic I grabbed from another site showing the mag extension.BenelliSuperNovaTacticalGRS.jpg

I hope this pic shows up...I'm new here and not too sure about how to post pics. It turns a five round gun into an eight round gun
    Just as long as they're 2 3/4. If you're running 3" shells you'll only get a seven round gun. (that's counting the one in the pipe)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links