Plastic AR Lower?

Plastic AR Lower?

This is a discussion on Plastic AR Lower? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some of my co-workers and I had Pres day off today, so we decided to take a road trip to Phx and browse the gun ...

Thread: Plastic AR Lower?

Plastic AR Lower?

Some of my co-workers and I had Pres day off today, so we decided to take a road trip to Phx and browse the gun shops. We made a stop at Cavalry Arms to buy a stripped lower. Up on the wall were some MKII plastic lowers with the buttstock molded with the reciever. We asked if he had any blems, Yep. 50 bucks. I bought one, got home and threw a standard parts kit in it and a carbine buffer and spring. put my upper on it and it fits and works like a charm. now I have another complete lower that only cost me 125 bucks. All I need now is to wait for Armalite to throw a good upper on sale and I could have a shooter for about 500 bucks.
    Check out the van they had. I took it with my phone, so the image sucks. The drivers door says "Bahgdad Unified School District" and a Cav Arms sticker in the back window. Too funny.

Who made the lower?
    Is the grip removable or also molded in?
    Is the serial number molded into plastic or embossed into a metal plate that itself is molded into the plastic?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Nevermind a quick Google found me what I wanted to know...

Source - The Maryland AR15 Shooters Site

Chrome Lined Barrels & Chambers: To this point SAAMI .223 chambers. In the future they will start offering 5.56mm chrome lined (the barrels are on order as of Mar 2003). CAV Comps are standard on rifles.

Chamber Type: SAAMI

Barrel Material: 4140 chrome/moly

Standard Pins: Yes (Note the take down pins are the standard size, but they are unique to the polymere lower as the detents are built in)

DCM Variant: No

Other Calibers: N/A

Lightweight Styles Available: A2 profile for Carbine & Rifle, M4 profile

Warranty: Lifetime

Extras: Owner's manual. Sometimes a 10 round magazine, depends how the dealers order them.

Notes: Cav-Arms rifles are unique in that they have injection molded polymere lowers (Nylon 6, similar to what Glock & H&K use). The orginal lowers had buttstocks that were 2" longer than the A2 stocks. New 'new' lowers (post Mar 2003) will have A1 length buttstocks, but use the CAR buffer system. The plastic lower saves weight over the aluminum one, and the use of the CAR buffer will save more weight. This would be a good lower to use for an 'ultra lightweight' AR-15. Since the stock & pistol grip are part of the lower you can't change them. Cav Arms also makes furniture (handguard, A1 stocks, CAR stocks, pistol grips etc) in a wide variety of colors (black, tan, green, gray, blue, red, yellow, pink - even a few glow-in-the-dark sets were made).

Mfr.: Cavalry Arms
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

cavarms polymer lowers are great
    Obama didn't get elected to warranty your muffler. He's here to warranty your life.

Sponsored Links