Saiga 12 Ga shottie's

This is a discussion on Saiga 12 Ga shottie's within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Picked one up with the Tromix conversion at the shop that came in used with 5 rds through her. The guy said it kicked his ...

Thread: Saiga 12 Ga shottie's

Sponsor

Saiga 12 Ga shottie's

Picked one up with the Tromix conversion at the shop that came in used with 5 rds through her. The guy said it kicked his arse too much and didn't want it.

Mine is the one on the right.

I picked up 4 10 rd mags for it as well as the 5 rounder that is sent stock with the gun to begin with.

The first picture is the Saiga in it's original configuration before the conversion. The top one with the fixed sights. The conversion moves the trigger group forward so it has room for the pistol grip, reliability package/work on the original shottie, etc.

Anyone handled one? Shot one? Thoughts on the Saiga and the Tromix conversion?

Looking forward to shooting this one.

Brownie
    Attached Images
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    They say to not keep it loaded with the magazine in because the top shell will deform slowly and eventually not chamber.

Other than that all I hear are how great they are.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Administrator
    I dont know why I dont have one yet, they look like a fun toy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    They are a lot of fun! Kinda shoots like the old SPAS 12 on semi auto but without all the "smack" in the recoil. My checking account wishes you hadn't raised the "Why don't I have one yet?" question Sixto.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

About the only shottie I'd consider buying. A real joy to shoot.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I used to own a Tromix conversion S12 ... I traded it and an AR 15 to get my old Porsche 914 back (long story) but I can't say I don't regret getting rid of it.

The Tromix conversion is probably the absolute best commercial conversion out there (I'd say on par with, if not outright better than Krebs).

Indeed a joy to shoot. Get you some 3" mag slugs and you can shoot them all day (try that with most 12ga shotties and you're going to be real sore real quick). I can't imagine the guy you got it from ever shooting another 12ga because frankly the Saigas are one of the softest shooting shotties I've ever shot. He wants his but kicked, he should shoot a Benelli M2 with 3" mag slugs ... thats pain.

Mine was identical to the one you posted a pic of, with the exception that it had the Ace side folder stock on it.

Gotta love the door breeching brake ... could almost be used as a bayonet if necessary :D

Some day I'll own another one.

Might I ask what you paid for it?

I am not a shotgun person but I have wanted one of those for sometime. Guess its time to work one into the budget.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    You know, those things are inceasing my drool factor everytime I see one.

What keeps me from dropping the dough on one though is because this is the one I want.

http://www.fbmginc.com/components/co...ebf87667bd.jpg

FBMG INC. - Tromix Micro 8

Only a measly $1150 plus all the transfer fees.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I have seen many of this with barrel lengths under 18". Are this only for LE or do this guns not fall under federal shotgun barrel length laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    I have seen many of this with barrel lengths under 18". Are this only for LE or do this guns not fall under federal shotgun barrel length laws?
    As long as short barreled shotguns are legal in the state you live in, you can have one.

Fill out a Form 4, get the CLEO sign off, pay the BATFE 200 samolians and wait and wait and wait and then you can buy one

EDIT
    You're in Missouri ... so I'm not sure I understand this but it almost looks like the only short barreled shotgun you can have must be C&R :( You need to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Picked one up with the Tromix conversion at the shop that came in used with 5 rds through her. The guy said it kicked his arse too much and didn't want it.
    That's interesting. I've fired these Saiga-12's a fair amount, and have found them quite mild - about like a .308 or a .30-06. While we don't have the name recognition of Tromix, we've built quite a few of these at Coal Creek Armory. I'll see if I can get some pics together, Monday, of our basic setup, which includes an ACE side-folding stock, and a custom standoff.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    As the proud owner of a Saiga .410 WAYYYY before anybody had really ever heard of them, I must say I wish folks did more with the .410. I absolutely LOVE it. Seems very well built,shoots amazing,...Nothing can put a smile on my face like that bad boy.

I do regret not picking up a 12ga before the prices went through the roof,my dad payed under 300$ brand new for mine well roughly 6/7 years ago

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

SIXTO- I don't know why you don't have one yet either. These are hands down the best guns I've ever fired. The wonderful versatility of shotgun loads, in a semi-auto. They're incredibly reliable, and incredibly fun. I haven't converted mine, and probably won't - I like a shotgun in "sporter" configuration. I have an x39 on the way that's getting converted as soon as it gets here. I would love a Tromix conversion - they are the number one recommended place out there, and Tony knows his crap. I'm interested too in what you paid for it.

Also, as far as the top round deformation, it is true to an extent when leaving a loaded mag locked in the gun on a closed bolt. This is easily solved by either a) keeping the top round in the mag a slug, or b) keeping the bolt locked back.
    You won't regret this purchase, I can guarantee that.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

A "Shottie," is that some sort of a dog, like a mixed breed Scotty?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I've never owned one but I'd like to. They come highly reccomended from the guys in "the basement". If I ever go with an automatic it'll be one of those.

Links