.45 long Colt vs .410 slug

This is a discussion on .45 long Colt vs .410 slug within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Winchester makes lever action .410's that will handle Foster-style slugs. They also make .45 Long Colt versions. I know that many .410 weapons will also ...

Thread: .45 long Colt vs .410 slug

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

.45 long Colt vs .410 slug

Winchester makes lever action .410's that will handle Foster-style slugs.

They also make .45 Long Colt versions.

I know that many .410 weapons will also handle .45 Long Colt.

So, what's the difference between a .410 slug and a .45 bullet? What are the advantages of each? Range? Projectile weight?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Cant really say but i think the advantage would go to the 45 with a heavier slug .. espically if its a hand load as you cant get real power out of it not the real wimpy stuff the factory loads

Assistant Administrator
    tank - never thought of this comparison but I'd say Bud has best idea.

.45LC can, in strong firearms, be loaded to pretty high levels - then too we have the accuracy factor which I think would be lacking from a .410 slug, even if it was marginally heavier. True I imagine - a hot loaded 3" mag .410 will project a slug with good energy but - I'll stick with the metallic cartridge here.

Haven't done a ballistics comparison but I doubt the energy difference would too much apart.... tho at close range I expect the slug might win out.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    Winchester makes lever action .410's that will handle Foster-style slugs.

They also make .45 Long Colt versions.

I know that many .410 weapons will also handle .45 Long Colt.

So, what's the difference between a .410 slug and a .45 bullet? What are the advantages of each? Range? Projectile weight?
    I've always thought of the 45 Colt in combo with the 454 in the same way that the 38sp relates to the 357 magnum. OR the 45 Colt in a stand alone role either in lever action or SA.

But 45 Colt and 410? That to me is the combo for a specialized firearm: A stack barrel hideout derringer for close up work and due to recoil & short barrels, not a lot of plinking! I'd think the advantage is the large bore when up "in your face" might tend to defuse certain situations. OTOH, if you had to shoot, it'd be sure to do a creditable job at point blank range in the cranial vault.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Shotshells are very, very low pressure loadings in deference to the thin barrel of most shotguns. The 410 2 1/2" throws 1/2 oz (218+grains) and 3" throws 11/16 oz (300+ grains.) Out of a long shotgun tube you can expect reasonable power, but out of a 2" derringer it's more an excercise in pyrotechnics (great flash for your digital camera.) On the other hand, the 45 Colt grew out of the low pressure black powder era into a mild pressure smokeless powder load, and is kept that way in deference to all the old SA's out there. As such, it will kick the 410's butt out of a handgun with its 250 grain factory lead bullet (you'll still need sunglasses at night.) Enter modern steel, Marlin levers, and Ruger...whoa nellie, Roy Rogers will have to dig the front sight out of his forehead after fanning 300 grain moly coated loads listed in the manuals. How 'bout 325 grainers or 360 grainers. A Lee Loader costs $13. That's less than the handloading manual. The 45 Colt can be hand loaded with shotshells, but they'll probably doughnut as bad as the 410 out of the rifling, the exception being the Thompson Center for grouse hunting. If you need a snake load because you can't take a sidestep, carry a snake bite kit for when the snake sits in the doughnut hole. Just kidding, try everything, and have fun.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Most 410 slugs are 1/5 oz, or about 85 grains. Would rather a 250gr 45 Colt slug.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

The more I hear about .45 LC the more I like it. And I liked it already.

VIP Member
    Ex Soldier 762 is right on, 45 Colt = The poor man's Casull. If you own a 454, you can call a 45 Colt factory load a 45 special. KC135 is right about 410 slugs, the good ones are mostly 1/4 oz or 110 grain solids...almost like shooting an M1 30 cal carbine which isn't legal for MN deer. The 410 slug shouldn't be, but it is legal. So is the 45 Colt. I kinda like the looks of the 94 Trapper, but I won't own a lever gun until they make it in .338 Mag. Go with the 44 mag in the Winchester if you want real factory power and good availability of ammo. Then get a 12 ga. shotgun if you don't already have a couple. Lyman sells a 12 ga slug mold that looks like an air gun pellet. It fits a WW red wad like a glove, weighs 525 grains, and can be pushed out at 1600 fps. 4" @ 100yds with a rifled slug barrel. Try a box o'that in a t-shirt.
    Last edited by gunthorp; September 8th, 2005 at 01:47 AM.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I have 2 .410 single shots, a Charter Arms Snake Charmer and a Harrington . The Snake Charmer has a cylndrical barrel, ie not choked while the H&R is choked. I have fired a long colt .45 in the Snake Charmer but the H&R seems to be choked too much to attempt it . I may be wrong. I have the Bond .410/.45 colt derringer and since the barrel is rifled, it is legal to use the .410 shell in a pistol like that.
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator

Thumbs up Oh...The Snake Charmer

Neat little firearm Kentucky.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links