interesting concept

This is a discussion on interesting concept within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I agree that paintball has some good training value, but the game of paintball is pretty darned far from realistic combat focussed training. Sims are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: interesting concept

VIP Member
    I agree that paintball has some good training value, but the game of paintball is pretty darned far from realistic combat focussed training. Sims are better, and Airsoft is a good alternative for those that don't have access to Sims (and/or don't want their house shot up). The good thing about paintball is that you can find the stuff anywhere, and you can rent it for training events if you can't afford to buy it for your whole team. I've worked with a few paintball field owners over the year to get deals on their fields, guns, and ammo, and it has worked out really well.

And I'm with you on the fear of paint/Sim hits... I still don't like it and try really hard to avoid getting beaned, but I don't sweat it too much. It hurts, you'll get a mark, you might bleed a little, but then it's over and you've (hopefully) learned a lesson or two. Speaking of, I'll be doing a 7 week training course this summer that will have a lot of Sims in it...we'll see how tough I talk after getting stung a few dozen times!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Well we found Woods ball to be a bit more helpful there. This was way back before "Speedball fields" were the common thing. And of course you can design a Scenario field with this in mind. There are some good ones out there like that too. If you ever played any Scenario Ball (or scenario games) similar to what this is your talking about by Sims I assume? Can be quite fun. Of course that was my main reason for playing was fun.

thanks for the input. nice to know an idea isn't even half-baked before i inest any money into it.(done that before now i'm willing to ask the stupid questions) guess i'll just upgrade one of my airsoft guns for getting those annoying gas theives away from my car.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Agreed, the game as it is and is played is definitely not 1:1realism.
    Kind of like IDPA. But still take from it what you will and there are goo points of crossover applicability.

Yeah losing the fear of getting hit in an odd way makes you better toward reducing your odds via skill rather than dumb luck/chance in getting hit.
    It's hard to explain but the longer you play and train the more clear it becomes as factual.

Speaking of IDPA it would great if there were a sport system similar to it but instead of imaginary cardboard threats one went one on one against another using Simunition. That would be the ultimate test og competency and street combat training method.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Lead Moderator
    Yeah incoming fire and learning to shoot accurately thru it sure does help. I use to play paintball and have done some fof training with airsoft too. I have yet to try simmunitions.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed, the game as it is and is played is definitely not 1:1realism.
    Kind of like IDPA. But still take from it what you will and there are goo points of crossover applicability.

Yeah losing the fear of getting hit in an odd way makes you better toward reducing your odds via skill rather than dumb luck/chance in getting hit.
    It's hard to explain but the longer you play and train the more clear it becomes as factual.

Speaking of IDPA it would great if there were a sport system similar to it but instead of imaginary cardboard threats one went one on one against another using Simunition. That would be the ultimate test og competency and street combat training method.

- Janq
    We should develop and promote one Janq. I see a whole nother league/sport here waiting to develop. Someone developing simple team entry and clearing tactics is already sort of "out there" to be exploited. Much like the Scenario crowd does, there has to be enough ballers interested in "tactics scenario" ball to get up a few events. Not to mention the people into that who have never tried Paintball. I know the Paintball Manufacturers are always looking for other groups to sell their wares to. Can't get enough total exposure out of the ones that are going now and can always use a new market angle. I still got a few contacts in the business to exploit!

Ditto...I've thought about it as well and also have several contacts. Hell my wife has been on me for five years to start a paintball something.
    I've given it thought and there are a multitude of issues to overcome from keeping the floor of an interior 'shoot house' clean and clear for foot traffic (paintball fill is slick as heck on everything including even loose dirt) to developing pseudo-realistic marker systems that' won't turn into jam-o-matics, are durable, and are tournament grade high accuracy under MOUT type training conditions...without costing a grand or more per unit. And then there is location and market development, and...

I'm busy enough as it is I've told my wife.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Tom was and did worked on a marker specifically for the Scenario market called the Tac One. Only one I know of with rails and close enough to do this...

http://www.airgundesignsusa.com/tacone.shtml

Would probably be Dealer priced about $300 each. Then of course tanks and Revy's would add to that but one could probably get it done under $600 a set up...

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Regarding the pepperball rounds and ordinary paintball markers....

Anybody ELSE here ever had a paintball break inside the gun?

How much would THAT suck if it contained OC instead of paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Regarding the pepperball rounds and ordinary paintball markers....

Anybody ELSE here ever had a paintball break inside the gun?

How much would THAT suck if it contained OC instead of paint?
    Oh no doubt. It was part of the design of the combination of the gun and the ball itself to prevent that from being a problem but it is a real issue. But it could happen. Part of the equipment was indeed a full face Respirator. However I am not entirely sure the current vendors are stressing that enough. Been a few years since I was involved in any of that. I will mention that the balls are a bit tougher than normal paintballs. But not a whole lot. They do tend to break in the gun much less often though.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    This sort of non-lethal stuff is generally not used by ordinary citizens for defense. I think there are some legal questions about its use with regard to force. If you are not in a deadly force situation using something like this might be excessive. If you are in a deadly force situation, you are better off with a gun. Non-lethal options are better suited for LEO's and military who have to deal with drunks and civil unrest without using deadly force.

I would rather have a projectile taser then any sort or air-OC-gun. They are smaller, more reliable, and more effective (than OC spray at least)?

Using paintball stuff for force on force training seems useful though. The plastic pellet airguns fill that niche nicely though. (the Glock and Sig stuff...)

just my .02 cents

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links