First EBR, FTF every shot...Am I doing something wrong?

This is a discussion on First EBR, FTF every shot...Am I doing something wrong? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Alright, I bought a Hipoint 995 9mm from an internet forum and it's FTF every time. I only shot it 5 times, and I got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First EBR, FTF every shot...Am I doing something wrong?

First EBR, FTF every shot...Am I doing something wrong?

Alright, I bought a Hipoint 995 9mm from an internet forum and it's FTF every time. I only shot it 5 times, and I got tired of messing with it. I know hipoint isn't the best gun on the market, but I know hipoint has a lifetime warranty, so I know I can send it to them, but it seems like the mag isn't seating tightly. I have only taken it to the range once, and somehow I left the mag that came with it at home and only brought a mag I bought at a gun show. The mag does seem pretty loose, and since it isn't having a problem ejecting or firing, or bringing a round in when manually cycled, I believe it is the mag. I was wondering if you guys who have one could let me know if it is supposed to be a little loose, which means I send it back to the factory, or if it is supposed to be very secure, which means I just bought a bad magazine. Thanks for the help. I do plan on an AR-15, but this was a really good deal, and I didn't have 700+ to spend on a nice AR...I'm just starting to wonder if this was a deal I should have passed on.
    BTW, $300 with red dot scope, tactical light package, AR-15 bushmaster stock upgrade, NIB condition. The gentleman who sold it to me told me he was waiting on his CHL and wanted some extra cash to help out on the purchase of a pistol.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

Two options I can think of.

First: Strip the gun and replace the mag release spring with a much tighter spring that can be found at any hardware store (make sure you match dimensions though)

Second: I'm not sure what stock your using, as I was only aware of 1 replacement in existance - But that's a big problem with ProMags with the 995. The magazine you bought is most likely of that genre, and will not fit well into that gun. Factory is the only way to go with hi-points, even though they're only 10 rds.
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

It is a factory mag. I stripped the gun yesterday and plan on going back to the range today. It was closed on Monday, so hopefully things go better today.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

Here's the carbine...
    Attached Images

Who is John Galt?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Hummmm....what weight bullet you shootin?

I know some carbines like the heavier weight bullets to cycle the actions. If your shooting 115 that could be a possibility.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

It was 115...If the cleaning doesn't work, I also read that I can bend the magazine in a little bit to better direct the round into the chamber. If those don't fix it, I'll definitely try some heavier rounds. If it turns out to be a picky eater I will have a carbine for sale tomorrow. I only wanted it for plinking with cheap ammo.

Who is John Galt?

Senior Moderator
    Is that a factory Hi-Point stock or an aftermarket one?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I really dont' know much about the Hi Point but I do know that a lot of carbines/Machine Guns are picky eaters. The Mp5's we have run pretty well with 115 but you can tell sometimes they struggle when they start to get dirty. UZI's Have I think a 3 pound bolt therefore heavier bullets are strongly encouraged.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Is that a factory Hi-Point stock or an aftermarket one?
    aftermarket stock, factory magazines

Who is John Galt?

Senior Moderator
    Your problem might be with the aftermarket stock.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I think that is an ATI replacement stock. I had one that was a factory gun and it shot everything I fed it. Try here, you might find some info. Hi-Point Firearms Forums :: Index

Hi points can be picky eaters. My Hi point 45 will run every time with FMJ, Powerball or Hydrashocks but almost any other JHP will FTF. You also need to be a little careful in loading the magazine. If you load it wrong, it can FTF. The Hipoint forum above should have a lot of information on the magazine issue.

ksokie, TexasYankee,
    I'm reading it, and have printed out quite a bit that I will by trying. I just know the guys on this forum better so I can trust their advice a little more. When I get it fixed, I'll let you guys know...thanks for the help.

Who is John Galt?

I did something really stupid tonight...After I finished working on the magazine and full take down and clean, I figured I would try to cycle a few rounds to see if it would feed and eject. Well, had a few problems with the mag, so ironed those out, no problem, reloaded magazine, and continued to cycle. I was only using 4 rounds since that is where my problem was. Anyway, the good news, I fixed the problem...no more jams. For a while. I cycle these through 4 maybe 5 more times, and it jams...I'm like, come on, I thought I had it figured out...well, it turns out cycling them several times caused severe setback, to the point where it expanded the casing and while it did feed, mostly, it jammed itself solid into the barrel. The worst part is, I know better than that...I never rechamber my carry ammo more than once...I'm not sure what I was thinking. I guess I just got excited that it was finally working. But this definitely reminded me of why I am so paranoid about not rechambering the same round more than once.

Anyway, carbine is fixed, so thanks for all your guys help.

Who is John Galt?

Glad to hear you got it fixed. I hope it doesn't continue to be a problem child for you. Good luck and have fun with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links