Pistol Grips on Shotguns

This is a discussion on Pistol Grips on Shotguns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey, I have a Mossberg 590 (A1 if it matters) and wanted to put some pistol grips on it. I'm curious to know about the ...

Thread: Pistol Grips on Shotguns

Pistol Grips on Shotguns

Hey,

I have a Mossberg 590 (A1 if it matters) and wanted to put some pistol grips on it. I'm curious to know about the recoil from a 12ga using pistol grips and what I could do to alleviate it (certain loads, a muzzle brake, drilling holes in the top of my barrel, etc).

Or, if you think it's just a bad idea, that'll work too, but I don't think it is becuz I saw it in the movies

2. Remove Ads

I have shot pistol grip shotguns, and the recoil depends a lot on the load. I don't think drilling holes is a good idea, and a muzzle break won't work on a shotgun. You could send it out to get a custom holes-drilled-in-barrel job - I believe Vang Comp does a recoil reduction type service, and there may be others as well. If your wrist is bent it will hurt. I would try to get one of the grips that sticks out the back more instead of down. Out of curiosity - what will the pistol grips do for you that the standard stock won't?

Austin

Fit me.

I'm a small person (5'6" 150 lbs...but I plan on world dominance very shortly so I'll need to add another 50lbs for my front pag on Times--sorry, tangent) and I cannot seem to find a youth stock for a 590. The stock I have is a full sized one for an average adult and it is just too long.

(When I bought the weapon, I intended to buy a youth stock)

I would think that a youth stock for a 500 would work for the 590. I would much rather do that than the pistol grip, and I'm, 6'1", 265#.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Saw off an inch or two of buttstock and put one of these on it...

Cabelas

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Take a look at the Knoxx SpecOps stock (Knoxx Industries a BLACKHAWK Company). I have one on my Mossy 590 and it works great.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Administrator
    Sorry to say it, but I just don’t get what all the hoopla is about 12ga recoil… you don’t need any gimmicks to shoot a shotgun without pain, no matter the load. Sure, some will be more than others, but shooting the gun properly goes a long way.
    Save your pennies, and find an old timer to show you how to use a shotgun. You will be much better off without all the junk hanging from your gun.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 28th, 2008 at 01:01 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I like the sawing off idea.

It doesn't hurt to shoot a shotgun, it is just difficult when the stock is 2 inches too long. I was going to put on pistol grips but...12 gauges kick and I'm not sure I want it going into my wrist...

if you're just shooting game loads, then recoil is a non-issue, but high brass #00 and slugs are a pain in the wrist, at least to me. the mossberg i bought comes with a pistol grip as standard, but i switched to an adjustable p. grip buttstock. it makes aiming easier, too, because pistol grips are meant to shoot from the waist, as i learned here.

IMO it doesn't make much difference at all what type of grip you have. Shotgun or Rifle. My AR has a pistol grip, my Remington (Hunting Rifle) doesn't. I'm comfortable shooting either one. I swapped out the fixed stock on my mossberg for a six position with a pistol grip. Again, my personal experience, but I shoot no better, or worse with the pistol grip.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Lange View Post
    I like the sawing off idea.

It doesn't hurt to shoot a shotgun, it is just difficult when the stock is 2 inches too long. I was going to put on pistol grips but...12 gauges kick and I'm not sure I want it going into my wrist...
    Why dont ya just change the stock out to an adjustable length stock? That should help with the length.

I would think you can better manage recoil by managing your load types and using recoil absorption pads.

If you're talking about a pistol grip ONLY, don't do it. You lose all control after the first shot. A pistol grip included on a full stock is great for people used to shooting AR's. Old hunters prefer a straight stock.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    I do believe you can buy a youth stock fairly cheaply.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Put a collapsible stock on it. It goes from short to long.

...and, has a pistol grip.

dv
    "A right unexercised is a right lost."

www.myspace.com/dvickery

I think I will try to saw the end of my current stock off (it looks like I could put the rubber pad on the back again because the screws run all the way down). If that fails I'll probably buy an adjustable length one or a youth stock (whichever is cheaper)

Links