Purchasing new AR & Shotgun

This is a discussion on Purchasing new AR & Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm in the market for purchasing 2 long guns. I'm in no hurrry but I'd like to complete my purchases prior to the elections (you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing new AR & Shotgun

Purchasing new AR & Shotgun

I'm in the market for purchasing 2 long guns. I'm in no hurrry but I'd like to complete my purchases prior to the elections (you never know what may happen next year).

I would like a decent quality AR (not the best but also not the worst) something that can be upgraded with various attachments. Also, not sure what brands to look at (or stay away from - or what caliber to consider). Ammo costs and availability are a consideration (223, 5.56, 7.62 or .308).

Also, want to get a decent quality 12 guage pumb shotgun for home defense and/or trunk carry. This too, not the best or not the worst.

Thanks for any recommendations on brands, models, calibers and approximate costs.

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I just bought a Remington 870 Marine. Very nice. The extra coating helps protect it from the elements so it should hold up very well in your trunk...depending on what you keep in there, mind you.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Administrator
    IMO, the best deals going right now in AR's are the RRA's, but there are plenty of good makers, just about all of them are churning rifles out as fast as possible, and there is still a 6 week wait for a decent AR.

There is two pump shotguns to consider... the 590 and 870. My money goes to the 870.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have several AR platform rifles. I recently purchased one of the "bargain bin" AR15s from CMMG. I bought an 18" SPR because I didn't have one.

The rifle is on a DPMS lower and is a flattop with a front sight post. Although listed as used, I couldn't find any evidence of useage. It looked new.

It runs fine and is accurate. I puttered with it Saturday and was shooting three round groups off the bench with all rounds touching.

The price was $570 + $24 shipping.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    I have several AR platform rifles. I recently purchased one of the "bargain bin" AR15s from CMMG. I bought an 18" SPR because I didn't have one.

The rifle is on a DPMS lower and is a flattop with a front sight post. Although listed as used, I couldn't find any evidence of useage. It looked new.

It runs fine and is accurate. I puttered with it Saturday and was shooting three round groups off the bench with all rounds touching.

The price was $570 + $24 shipping.

Dave

What distance ? What ammo ?

Somehow I doubt that a CMMG Mil Spec barrel is shooting 1/2 MOA groups, unless your doing it from 5 meters.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    What distance ? What ammo ?

Somehow I doubt that a CMMG Mil Spec barrel is shooting 1/2 MOA groups, unless your doing it from 5 meters.
    True. I was shooting off my 25 yd zero bench with 62 gr. Wolf. I'm sure that better ammo will provide better accuracy.

Now, will it shoot that tight at 300? Likely not. Do I care? Absolutely not. It's a basic battle rifle. All I expect out of it is battle rifle accuracy.

I'm happy with the rifle.
    Dave

Another vote for CMMG...top notch stuff at a good price.

I've assembled several from DPMS, RRA, Bushy and CMMG parts, those four brands all seem to make fine AR parts. If you want one that's already assembled, the CMMG bargain bin as others have pointed out, is a great place to start on a budget.

If you win the lottery between now and purchase time, Sabre Defense Industries makes the best AR rifles I've ever seen (IMO).

Consider reading up on them here:

AR15.COM
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

It all depends on what you expect the gun to be able to do. Also, shooting a half inch group and shooting 1/2 MOA are two very different things FWIW.

Austin

+1 Remington 870.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Not a knowall when it comes to AR's.

As far as the shotgun is concerned - I read once that the only difference in the 870 and the 500, is the way they feel in your hands, and whether you like a trigger safety, or a tang safety.

The mossberg shoulders better for me, AND I like the tang (thumb activated) safety - So my money goes to a Mossberg 500. (The 590 is Mossy as well, but I don't know about trunk use...) Mossberg 500 Cruiser, Persuader, JIC, etc. - All relatively cheap, all very reliable.
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

BAC
    What kind of price range are you looking at? 'Cause the first thing that came to my mind was a Noveske or LMT upper on a lower of your choice*. Heck, maybe assemble your own lower if you wanna save even more. Buying an upper separate from any lower will save you quite a bit of money since you're not buying a firearm and the items you buy can't be taxed as such.

With shotguns, I'm pretty limited in knowledge. I've only ever used Mossbergs, but dad's picking up an 870 real soon so I'll finally be able to compare.

*CMT (Colt, RRA, Stag, High Standard, Noveske, Century (current), Global Tactical, CLE, Smith and Wesson, MGI, Wilson Tactical, Ratworx) and LMT (LMT, Lauer (old), DS Arms, PWA, Eagle, Knight's Armament, Barrett, Bushmaster) are all considered good to go for lowers, and I hear a lot of good about Superior Arms as well.

-B

I'm not a rifle guy so I'll only comment on the shotguns. The finishing on the inside of the reciever is much better on a 870 than a Mossberg. That said, you pay out the snoz for it. It also feels tighter than the Mossberg. However, if you're going to get down and dirty with it (such as throwing it in and out of your trunk) then lower tolerances isn't such a bad thing. The 870 is a proven platform used by PDs for decades. The Mossbergs are also proven and carried by the Marines. (if they can't tear it up then it can't be torn up). The mossys reliability under less than favorable conditions and it's lower sticker do it for me. I also prefer the tang safety and the position of the slide release better than the 870. I've had them all, and I still prefer the Benelli Super Nova Tactical. I got mine NIB for 450. out the door at my local gun shop. It's weather proof, easy to clean and oh so sweet to shoot. YMMV.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I have several ar's i assembled theyall funtion well witout the high dollar price tag of a Bushy or RRA or Colt,Olympic arms sells a generic plinker model has A-1 sights which only adjust for windage and elevation is achieved by turning front sight post for 595.00 i believe

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Just bought my first/only AR with the same thoughts as you, not the best (Colt LMT) and not the worse...so I looked for a balance of value and cost. I like the RRA and especially the CMMG but in the end I ended up purchasing a Stag Model 2. Got it for $799 and it only took a few days to get it in. I believe it's a good value. You can save some if you buy an upper and lower (complete) and just pin them together yourself but you don't save a lot and I'd just as soon have one gun from one mfg with a good warranty, so for me, it was worth buying it whole.

As for the shotgun it boils down to a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. After that you get way cheaper or way more expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links