Any experience with this or something like it?

This is a discussion on Any experience with this or something like it? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a guy (poorly) try to sell me something interesting the other day. I turned it down but the rifle itself has turned into ...

Thread: Any experience with this or something like it?

I had a guy (poorly) try to sell me something interesting the other day. I turned it down but the rifle itself has turned into one of those "I must learn more about this" obsessions.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/C.../az-c15r97.asp

I'm pretty sure this was it. The complete lack of iron sights on an AR15 knockoff was a real turnoff, but it seemed interesting anyway. Don't worry I'd get a real AR15 before I got this thing. I have to admit it's pretty neat, I'm just not sure what you'd do with it that a regular old "boring" AR15 couldn't do.

Anyone have this or something like it? Just curious how you like it, etc.

Carbon 15 doesnt interest me for some reason .. But the reason for a flat top is to mount a scope lower to the bore line for easyer shootabilty it is rough shooting a ar-15 with a scope mounted on the carry

handle it can be done but not real comfortable

I've handled and shot the rifle version pictured. It feels like a toy - literally. My Sig weighs more loaded or sure feels like it.

That said, I have its' little friend.

It never ceases to turn heads at the range and is a blast to shoot.

The Carbons are fun toys, but in most situations, that's about all I'd consider them to be. If you're in a scenario where you need a BUG that's a rifle, or something to back up your more serious bolt or semi precision gun, I could *almost* see it having use.

However, one man's use is another man's necessity.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    See my posts under"Bushmaster or Colt" --- I have not seen(although I have heard of) a AR type weapon that will really shoot with a scope mounted to the carring handle. After all, that wasn't ment for a scope mounting position anyway. The milled reciever with the rail system was. The BFI type 21 is the cheapest of the types made. This is the one that I have. With the proper scope,load,and shooter,I have seen(not heard stories of)them shoot 1MOA out of the box. The "name of the game" is application. If you want a very light(mine weights 4.3 lbs. with scope, rings, and mag) walkabout weapon take a look at these. If you want something for carry to a spot and set up for a shot, the long bbl'ed(24") weapons are great for that. My 24" weapon weights almost 12 lbs. This weapon will outshoot most bolts. Don't let the non-metal stuff that weapons are made of scare you off. Think of how many weapons nowadays are made this way.--------

Lead Moderator
    Euclidean, I have that exact rifle. Well I did. The lack of Irons and a need to build it got to me. For what its worth , Bushie has a Type 97 with irons and a carbon M4 type that has standard front site and handguards. As for a carbon gun, mine wieghs less than thew alum. carbines, doesn't scrach the finish off , will not rust or corrode and I feel is a stronger material(bend wise ). My carbon has been reliable and easy to handle, even with added accesories and parts.
    Drawbacks. A few parts are not mil./ industry standard. The bolt carrier and buffer tube. Also the muzzle brake makes big flashes and comes off occasionally during sustained rapid fire.

Senior Moderator
    I have one too. Some had feed reliability problems and something else. Mine had the feed problems so I sent it to Professional Ordnance (manfacturer before Bushmaster bought them) and they polished the feed ramp and replaced several internal parts and it worked flawlessly when I got it back.

And, like Rocky said, sometimes the muzzle brake works loose, but lock tight seemed to fix that problem on mine. As I recall, the muzzle brake is quite effective. IIRC, I shot mine without it and recoil was surprising.

If the gun is reliable, it would certainly be a top prospect as a bug out gun - it's light as a feather so you could carry it forever and you can easily handle it with one hand and shoot it like a pistol.

I think the Bushmaster version, uses all mil/industry standard parts, but it would probably be considerably more expensive.

If I could change on thing, it would be the drop of the "stock"; it's a bit short. The stock is removeable by the way and it just leaves the recoil tube and it is shootable in this configuration.

Lead Moderator
    Tangle. Yuo can add stck recoil pad for more length or , replace the stock with a standard AR collaps. stock. You need to either make a spacer, or replace the bolt carrier if you do switch to a collap. stock and buffer. I think I paid $850 or so for my Carbon 15. Most parts are mil standard in the carbon. No feed problems for me, but from what I have read, most feed issues are easily solved. Check out AR15.com for lots more info on AR's if you guys are intrested.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Tangle. Yuo can add stck recoil pad for more length or , replace the stock with a standard AR collaps. stock. You need to either make a spacer, or replace the bolt carrier if you do switch to a collap. stock and buffer. I think I paid $850 or so for my Carbon 15. Most parts are mil standard in the carbon. No feed problems for me, but from what I have read, most feed issues are easily solved. Check out AR15.com for lots more info on AR's if you guys are intrested.
    Thanks, rocky, good tips. I've kinda been out of the AR arena for a while, where can I get a stock recoil pad and how does it attach?

Hmmm, a collapsible stock, I kinda like that. I presume the std. collapsible stock a significantly heavier though? And, again, where's a good place to get a coll. stock and spacer?

Assistant Administrator
    Don't forget folks - the ''CAR 15 and can - plus .22 conversion kit'' - is GunKid's ultimate survival equipment

Nothing else will cut it!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

JT
    I've heard bad things about the Carbon 15's. Reliablity and wear issues.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    I've handled and shot the rifle version pictured. It feels like a toy - literally.
    I'm glad that someone else who knows something about it shares my initial impression of it.

Every once in a while I see something that I just have to know more about even though I'm not interested in it. I'd get a conventional AR-15 first. I think the CAR-15 is only a good idea for a very specialized situation or if you just really like AR-15s and have several already.

You know this gives me another thread idea dang it!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I'm glad that someone else who knows something about it shares my initial impression of it.

Every once in a while I see something that I just have to know more about even though I'm not interested in it. I'd get a conventional AR-15 first. I think the CAR-15 is only a good idea for a very specialized situation or if you just really like AR-15s and have several already.

You know this gives me another thread idea dang it!
    Euc,
    I like the gun. Remember hearing the "it feels like a toy" and the "made by Mattel" about the M-16? Likely the only reason this gun "feels" like a toy is because it is made out of carbon fiber which not only makes the gun light, but it doesn't transfer heat from the hand like AL versions, so it doesn't feel metally.

Actually an AR itself is for a "...very specialized situation...".

Looking forward to your new thread!

That's true. But the thing is, I'd rather have the standard off the rack AR-15 for a first one that I'm actually going to pay money for, ya know? It's kind of like how if I started with a 1911, I'd want a regular full size steel 1911 and not a super lightweight micro 1911. The more specialized product is something I might move into eventually.

I have to admit I do think it's neat as a pocket on a shirt and the thinking behind it makes sense at least. Sometimes I see something on the market and wonder "What in the same hill would I do with that...?"

But the way I look at it, I operate on a shoestring and there's so many good things to try I've got to pass on most of them unfortunately.

Oh and I found the answer to my question in another thread so nix that idea.

Sponsored Links