Olympic Arms :: Reputation

This is a discussion on Olympic Arms :: Reputation within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just learned these folks are right down the road from me. Their prices are pretty low locally. So I was wondering does anyone have any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Arms :: Reputation

Olympic Arms :: Reputation

Just learned these folks are right down the road from me. Their prices are pretty low locally. So I was wondering does anyone have any experience with Olympic Arms AR or know anything about their AR's quality? Any help and input is greatly appreciated.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I have a Plinker Plus. While I only have about 700 rds through it no hickups, FTE,FTF. If I were to do it again I would get a flat top, though because the scopes available for the carry handle aren't the greatest.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Administrator
    They are OK plinkers, as their names suggest... I would not take them serious as a viable battle rifle.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 5th, 2008 at 03:15 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    They are OK plinkers, as their names suggest... I would take them serious as a viable battle rifle.
    +1

A good place to search for feedback would be AR15.COM .
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Just learned these folks are right down the road from me. Their prices are pretty low locally. So I was wondering does anyone have any experience with Olympic Arms AR or know anything about their AR's quality? Any help and input is greatly appreciated.
    I have an Olympic and have shot my close to the 3,000 round mark. Never a problem.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    I have a Plinker Plus. While I only have about 700 rds through it no hickups, FTE,FTF. If I were to do it again I would get a flat top, though because the scopes available for the carry handle aren't the greatest.
    Thanks, based on you experience would you get any of their other guns for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    They are OK plinkers, as their names suggest... I would take them serious as a viable battle rifle.
    Would or would not? Do you know anything about their other weapons/calibers?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I have had one for about 2 years with no complaints. I have been looking at getting another one in 7.62x39. They have many different calibers from pistol to rifle cartridge. Check out their website all the info is there.

Administrator
    Thanks, based on you experience would you get any of their other guns for home defense?

Would not... sorry, that was a typo. I dont know about anything else they make.
    "Just blame Sixto"

BAC
    I wouldn't. Seen 'em, held 'em, shot 'em... they just plain feel cheap, and breaking them open to peek at the staking on the bolt carrier keys or trying to mate a non-Oly upper on an Oly lower to find the mag well doesn't line up properly makes me cringe. Your mileage may vary, but my Olympic Arms AR experience was less-than-stellar. For the same price you can get a CMMG bargain bin rifle.

The real question is what do you want to use the rifle for? If you plan to stake your life on it, remember that a High-Point will kill 'em dead the same as a Glock or 1911 will, and the difference is on how dependable the weapon is. If you can afford a cheap AR solely for plinking, sure, the Oly will work. If you plan on doing anything more serious than plinking or can't afford to have a gun solely for plinking, my vote is to pass on the Oly.

-B

I have heard both sides from those who have had them in the AR-15 configuration. From what I gather, (and I'm sure you can find the same searching firearms forums), you'll either get a good shooter or you won't. I had someone wanted to trade me an Oly AR-15 for my G30 about six months ago. I did my research and decided that a 50/50 chance of getting something I would be happy with wasn't worth it. Even if I had traded for it, I knew I might have a hard time selling it to break even on my G30's worth.

Let's just say "they are OK". Not good, not great, but not terrible.

Personally I would look to spend a little more money on something like a Stag or one of the CMMG Bargain Bin guns.

I'm in Washington too, and while I would prefer to support a local business, I want the best weapon that I can buy with my hard earned money and for me the Olympic Arms is not that weapon.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

I was looking another one, but I'm waiting for the Masada/ACR to come out this fall
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    A friend worked for them as an armorer. He is an expert on ARs and from his comments and others, I would never look at an OA rifle for any reason. Pay a bit more and buy a Bushmaster or Rock River and you'll have no regrets.

Yes LOTS of info in the AR15 Archives on OA. Not sure if that is accessible to anyone unless they buy a paid membership at AR15.com however. [I just don't know the status of the archives (which are on a different server IIRC). I rarely check them and I am a paid member there.]

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    They aren't the ABC'S of AR's Armalite,Bushmaster,Colt.I just don't think they
    are made as well as the big three.Something costs two -three hundred dollars more
    you have to cut corners somewhere? Check with AR 15 Forum.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Ironically, I drove past OA/SGW twice every day for over a year back in 84/85, and didn't realize until years later that they made AR15s.

I was stationed at Ft. Lewis, but lived in a mobile home park at 8935 Old Pacific Highway SE.

Nice little drive through the woods there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links