Help convince me on an AR...

This is a discussion on Help convince me on an AR... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...either that I'm on track or that I'm completely off my rocker! I have been going back and forth for months now trying to decide ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help convince me on an AR...

...either that I'm on track or that I'm completely off my rocker!

I have been going back and forth for months now trying to decide between an AR-15 in 5.56, or an M1A in 7.62 (both NATO calibers). I've come to the conclusion that I really want - dare I say need? - both, and fully intend to get both if I can. My worry is that I may not be able to come up with the funds for both before a new AWB is passed (I'm considering this a foregone conclusion at this point, and will be happily surprised if it doesn't pass early next year), so I need to decide which to get first.

For me, the purchase of any gun is determined by its intended purpose. Since I don't have any long guns right now, I want to satisfy my paranoid side by buying a high capacity, semi-auto rifle, suitable for both defensive & hunting (food, not humans!) purposes. Something that may not be perfect for any one application, but will be a suitable jack-of-all-trades should the SHTF.

Since this is my paranoia doing the thinking, I want something that will have readily available ammo, hence the limitation of 5.56 or 7.62. I'd like to be able to carry an ample supply of ammo on my person if necessary, which definitely favors the 5.56, and it helps that 5.56 ammo & magazines are currently about 1/2 the price of 7.62 ammo & magazines. This will make it easier to stockpile both.

So far the AR-15 wins hands down, right?

However, when it comes right down to it, I really like the M1As, and definitely prefer the 7.62 caliber on a shot-for-shot basis. I think I might cry a little if I get the AR-15 & then can't pick up an M1A before a ban takes effect.

But, when it comes right down to it, my first priority is to purchase the weapon that will accomplish the widest range of tasks should I only have one rifle at the time the SHTF. Am I wrong in assuming that the AR-15 is going to fit my current desires better?

If you think I am, can you please tell me why?

NOTE: Just to head off a whole bunch of un-needed discussion, this rifle will be my 3rd purchase, behind a Glock 19 & a Remington 870, so please limit your responses to rifle selection, and preferably AR-15 in 5.56 vs M1A.

NOTE 2: I won't be buying an AR-10 or anything similar in a 7.62 - if I choose the 7.62, it'll almost certainly be a Springfield M1A.

NOTE 3: I'm not expecting the STHTF, but I'd be happier knowing I had a tool available if it does. Given that, even though I do have an emotional preference for the M1A, I will definitely have fun plinkering around with the AR should the world stay sane. Like I said, I fully intend to get both if at all possible - the question is only "which one first".

Thanks!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Get an AK and an AR and you will have all the bases covered... FWIW, 5.56/.223 ammo is 1.5-2x more expensive than AK ammo...

I of course appreciate the response, but an AK is not in the picture. What's your opinion on the AR vs M1A?

Thanks.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Lead Moderator
    Both the AR and M1A have there place. what terrain are you planning on using this rifle on? M1A's excel at longer distance and work better if you plan on taking deer size game.
    the AR is lighter, handier, & common to many PD's and private citizens as well as the U.S. military. Parts are easier to find, the AR is easier to work on . Mags are more plentiful. the platform is much more modular.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I find this interesting because I'm in the same boat as the OP. I think I've decided my next gun will be an AR10. I just really like the idea of being able to really reach out and touch someone or something with serious oomph. The heavier round also means that I don't have to be as good at compensating for wind at any given distance.

To be able to stockpile more ammo I'm thinking about getting into reloading. Even if I don't get big into it, for SHTF I'll want to have at least a lee turret press. Then store a bunch of the pieces.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Taking deer-size game is definitely a possibility if my paranoid delusions every come to pass, but everything else you mentioned is also a factor. And, deer can be taken with a 5.56, though my preference would definitely be the 7.62 for that.

Like I said, if this ends up being my only rifle, I need something that can do a bit of everything. I really hope I can get both, but the AR may be the right 1st choice to make.

Maybe the real correct answer is to find a 2nd job?

Meet in the middle ... get an AR10

AR platform

7.62x51/.308 caliber

should be more accurate than the M1A anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    Meet in the middle ... get an AR10

AR platform

7.62x51/.308 caliber

should be more accurate than the M1A anyway.
    See 'NOTE 2' in the original post...

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    My suggestion: Get the M1A. Then spend $130 or so on an AR-15 lower than can become a full rifle later. Unless you think a prospective AWB will be much more severe than the last, and make parts illegal, this is a way to stretch out the expenditure and end up with both guns.

I have bought my lowers already and am thinking about getting an M1A through the CMP this year, too. (And one of my lowers will probably turn into a 7.62x39 when it is done...)
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Get the AR, and 2 top ends for it, one in .223 the other in .308.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    I of course appreciate the response, but an AK is not in the picture. What's your opinion on the AR vs M1A?
    Thanks.
    I first trained on the M1A [better known as the M-14] when I went into the Army. Later in Vietnam I was issued the AR15 [M-16 but fully automatic at the time]. There was no more dependable rifle than the M-14, but it was heavier. The M-14 was standard military issue for from 1957-1965/1966, but some adaptions of the M-14 are still used for special missions. It was replaced by the M-16. The M-16 [Later M-4 with revisions] has been the standard issue for over 40 years, the longest in U.S. history. Considering the number of civilian copies (except fully automatic), you are likely to find many more Ar 15's available than M-14's.

In summary, the M1A is a classic, and eventually will be a collector's item. For sheer firepower you would want the M1A. For close up and dirty you will always want the AR15.

As to me, I would take the M1A. I certainly would be willing to trade my AR15 for one.

If you can't afford the M1A/M14, then at least buy high cap mags for it now. Same for the AR15 if you get the M1A before any proposed AWB.

I only have one 30 rounder for my AK, but I'm ordering more this week or next week. Just in case.

I wouldn't buy any other M1A/M14 than Springfield and stay away from the "shorty" SOCOM stuff. they look good, but I fail to see the utility in cutting a 7.62 barrel down to 16" and reducing 300 meters of your maximum effective range with that caliber. Stick with the 20" barrels. It's what they where designed for in the first place.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

I think the only acceptable answer is going to be for me to simply find a way to afford both. A part time weekend &/or evening job for a few months should get me enough to make it happen. Of course, I'll need to keep that job for a few more months to afford the spare magazines, stockpile ammo, etc...

But, I need to satisfy that small voice in the back of my head that keeps asking, "are you ready if...?" What's a few months of extra work in exchange for keeping that small but persistent voice in check?

Of course, now that I've got my "survival / SHTF" guns picked out, I'll have to start thinking about what comes next. I need an EDC, a BUG, a knife, a bunch of training for all these things, etc, etc...

I have several AR-15's and an AR-10,I have shot deer with my AR-15 i used an upper in 7.62x39 the bullet is a little more accurate out of the AR platform than the AK or SKS platforms.If you buy an AR-15 you can buy a complete 7.62x39 upper to swap on the lower for less than $500.00

M1/M14... and my opinion why:

I own a few AR's. I'm building a couple more as a matter of fact. No I don't own an M1/M14, but that's because my parameters are different than yours.

I have a bolt action to take game, and an AR to avoid being game.

I see the M1 as a viable option to handle both in a SHTF scenario.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links