AK47 ?

This is a discussion on AK47 ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking into getting a AK47 and would like to know everyone's opinion here. Which AK47 do I buy? I have researched online and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK47 ?

AK47 ?

I am looking into getting a AK47 and would like to know everyone's opinion here. Which AK47 do I buy? I have researched online and have seen prices range from 300-1000. I'm just not sure what to get. Please help. :)
    G19
    G26

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Glock_19 View Post
    I am looking into getting a AK47 and would like to know everyone's opinion here. Which AK47 do I buy? I have researched online and have seen prices range from 300-1000. I'm just not sure what to get. Please help. :)
    I bought a Yugo AK47 for $350 about four years ago. Great gun. Knew nothing about it (and still don't) so I can't give you many specifics. It ended up being a B-day gift for a relative about two years later. I never had any problems with it.

Have you checked out AR15.COM yet?

They have a decent collection of AK stuff, and a separate AK forum:
    AR15.COM :: Forums :: AK-47
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Totally depens on the Quality you want.

You want a $350 AK that is good at shooting to about 100 yards, go with your standard ROMARM from Centry. I went that route, their is nothing wrong with the gun. They work and work and work and will out live you.

Now if you live in VA where its legal to hunt deer with said gun and no Magazine limit on centerfire rifles for hunting deer, and you want something really nice. Go with an Arsenal or a VEPR.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I bought a Yugo AK47 for $350 about four years ago. Great gun. Knew nothing about it (and still don't) so I can't give you many specifics. It ended up being a B-day gift for a relative about two years later. I never had any problems with it.

Have you checked out AR15.COM yet?

They have a decent collection of AK stuff, and a separate AK forum:
    AR15.COM :: Forums :: AK-47
    Thanks for the link. I will check it out!
    G19
    G26

a proper AK built to specs is gonna punch dirt at approx 100M if your shooting stance is correct. it was designed that way. seems the old man figured its better to hit them with a richochette than to send round way over their heads. that said ins uncomfortable to shoot but accurate and reliable in its role.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Romanian AK's are pretty inexpensive about $325 here. The thing I don't like is the romanians I've seen all have plywood stocks. They are nice and fun to shoot though. I personally will stick to my SKS.
    "What the hell is the world coming to?" - Sheriff Buford T. Justice

Laminated wood is simple to change out if you want something else. Its actually stronger than most other forms is why they use it.

There are various grades of Romanian even. There are Romanians built off of demilled Military grade rifles ("G" kits most commonly now a days) and USA made receivers (such as DCI/Nodak Spud) and then there are those built specifically for the Civilian market (the WASR's) that the receivers were not intended to take double stack mags but have been cut out to do so. I personally, if I only had to have one., would spend a little more and get one built off a Mil Spec gun and proper receiver. But if you decide to just get a WASR then be sure to check it out in person and get one that has minimal mag wobble and the sights and gas block are properly lined up. They often are not. There are a good number of good Rifles built off of mil spec kits and good receivers for around $500 or so. Romanian, Polish, Yugoslavian and on... I would recommend you go that route for one. Or go all out and find yourself a nice Milled Receiver Bulgarian if you really want a fine example. Lots to chose from. Check out theAKForum and AKfiles too while your at it. And browse places like Arsenal USA, Vector and a seller Atlantic firearms (just to name a few) to get some ideas of whats out there... and then there are a host of good small and large custom builders out there as well to look at.

Big gap in performance.

There's a big gap in the performance of a $350 AK and a $1,000 AK made by a company that specializes in wringing them out.

Myself, I'm not overly impressed. I lugged one around for a while, it's stupid simple to operate and maintain, but lacking in anything that's needed past 200 yards or so.

If you need a blaster for inside 200, go for it. If you want something with more poke, do you really want a 7.62x39?

My biggest gripes were being poked constantly by the charging handle and they just aren't user friendly shaped. Like shooting a 2x4.

I enjoy my "cheap" Romanian AK very much. I've shot some of the more expensive AK's and, other than being prettier, they didn't really perform any better than my lowly rommy. The laminated wood furniture looks really good stained too.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    I enjoy my "cheap" Romanian AK very much. I've shot some of the more expensive AK's and, other than being prettier, they didn't really perform any better than my lowly rommy. The laminated wood furniture looks really good stained too.
    +1
    Same experience here. I have a Romanian AK that I bought a few years ago for under $300 and that was with all the stuff that usually comes with them, cleaning kit, sling, bayonet, and 2, 30 round mags. I bought 3 more 30 round mags for it and 1000 rounds of ammo sealed in a tin and I am pretty well set up.

I have fired AKs that cost way, way, waaaaayy more than mine and honestly, they really didn't perform that much better than my lowly old Romanian model.

As others have said, they are amazingly simple to to use and maintain. A far better choice for fighting in a dirty sandy environment than an AR. You could just about pour sand in one and shake it out and it will still cycle. They are tough as nails.

I love mine.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    WASR. Like 300 bones, and they run well. I guess the difference is some are stamped (recievers) and others are milled. The milled ones are a bit stronger, the stamped ones are alot less expenisve. An Ak is an Ak is an AK, and that's O.K.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Thanks everyone!

RamRod,

Pretty cool link. Thanks.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

VIP Member
    I see this question on here quite often and realize picking an AK is a personal thing. Do you want an AK that works well or do you want an AK you can brag to your friends about that know something about AK's. I choose an AK that works well and is one of the cheaper Romainians AKs. I've never had a problem with it and it has never jammed on me. I trust my life with it and if the SHTF I know its a weapon the world chose. I bought mine for a little over $300 and modified it to my likeing. I put a syn. handgaurd and a sliding stock on it. I put a tri bolt gaurd on it. I put a tactical light in front and on my bolt gaurd I have a Red Dot. And I did all of this including the AK for a little over $500. Some people may cut down the Romainian but mine has never gave me the problems they mention.

Having worked on and worked up a variety of different platforms:

I like the AK.

Accuracy complaints have more to do with poor sights and cheap ammo than inherent ability. Upgrade the sights, and you'll easily hold 2"@100yds. I like the XS 24/7 post, but some other options are available. Buy US made ammo, and you can probably squeeze a little more out of it.

If you get a folding stock, get a folding stock. The AR-style things are popular, but are laughable in comparison to the wire folders, or the Ace Riflestocks products.

Phantom flashhiders are readily available, reasonably cheap, and work extremely well.

If you buy a WASR, it would probably benefit from some de-horning; some edges are a bit sharp on these. Higher end AKs will (should) have this done already.

Tapco G2 trigger is a must- it will have "Tapco" on it. Century stock triggers are acceptable, but need some polish to be really useful.

Check in over at Warrior Talk Forums - Powered by vBulletin on the Kalashnikov forum, you'll be welcome!

Edit to add: if you're planning to buy a nice rifle,with good fit & finish, plan on about $500, maybe a bit more. Vector and Arsenal are the US makers; Jim Fuller's Rifle Dynamics (Jim is on warriortalk) does builds, and may be offering complete rifles now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links