SKS ?

This is a discussion on SKS ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking of buying one and wonder if the stock rifle with the 10 round mag will accept the 30 rounders instead of using the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKS ?

SKS ?

I'm thinking of buying one and wonder if the stock rifle with the 10 round mag will accept the 30 rounders instead of using the stripper clips which I'm guessing that they use?Thanks. sj

2. Remove Ads

The fixed 10 round magazine is the most reliable, most of the aftermarket mags have problems. they are a good gun cheap and fun to shoot !

I had one that would accept and feed from the detachable 30 round magazines reliably. Been over ten years ago, and I couldn't say what make or model, but I think it was around $69.95. I just prefer the AK now for the modular abilities.

the simonov is a great rifle. theres a reason its the first choice weapon for the limited budget sniper in almost every conflict the us has been in since vietnam. they're tough, reliable, and accurate. just go for a stock rifle and a few packs of stripper clips would be my suggestion. if its for hunting or defense i'd also look into some good optics. there are several aftermarket stocks for them(i'd look into tapco myself as they have the widest selection)
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

There were actually two SKS models (Both Chinese IIRC) that were built to accept removable AK mags.

However one that was not built that way often has trouble dealing with the conversion mags. And there is always stripper clips. They load fast.

Or... get an AK. The SKS is a tad (just a wee bit) more accurate and a nice shooter too.

RE:

Those tapco 20 rounders are great stay away from any other non metal ... I got a bucket of the cheapo 30's and 40's that whittled down to the advent of total feed failure.

If you're mounting a scope or red dot go with a replacement bolt cover mount, that has the little set screws on the sides...It’ll be oversized when you get it, so carefully file that puppy so its tight... You don’t need the set screws if you get it right and if it loosens up....you get the idea... oh yeah don’t forget a brass deflector if you're going over the breech..

Hope this helps a bit, my best sks advice from trail and failure lol

I can shoot postage stamp sized shoot n c stickers at 50 yrds with a 5 moa red dot all day, Good enough for me.
    Last edited by kf4uel; March 7th, 2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: more info!
    "What if? If not, who needs seatbelts, life rafts, and fire extingishers. Sure theres other ways, if thats what you want... I know ill be alive, dry, and not on fire!"

G17, G19, G36, PPK/S
    Support the right - www.vcdl.org

1. Go Yugo (Chinese are guranteed elbow greasers)
    2. Don't try mags - they suck, most don't function, they jam, etc etc - think of a problem, and it's plausable with the SKS (Kept me from buying)

3. Go Yugo....
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I have a 30 round sks, it's a pain to shoot compared with to the 10 rounders.
    I just changed it back to 10m round magazine.Granted it doesn't look as aggressive with the 30 mag in place but looks aren't everything.

Thanks guys,I appreciate it,Do they use stripper clips and load like the old M-1 ?I am real familar with that,oops,did I just give away my age ? sj

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    Thanks guys,I appreciate it,Do they use stripper clips and load like the old M-1 ?I am real familar with that,oops,did I just give away my age ? sj

Your welcome, they do, and, yea, you did!

if you can find an older Russian SKS they are becoming very collectible too.

well... it's not exactly like an M1

Modern Firearms - Rifle - SKS carbine

Fifth picture down. You can see that the ammo slides down, into a double stack internal magazine. You push the ammo down with your thumb and the stripper clip stays put. Pull out the stripper clip when the ammo is loaded. Slingshot the bolt carrier to load, and have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I'm thinking of buying one and wonder if the stock rifle with the 10 round mag will accept the 30 rounders instead of using the stripper clips which I'm guessing that they use?Thanks. sj
    I bought some from Cabelas a few years ago, and they seem to work okay. My SKS is over 40 years old (brought back from Vietnam - Russian made), but I assume that they all are manufacturered the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by ellerblr View Post
    well... it's not exactly like an M1
    Yea.. its a bit more like an M14 stripper clip loading it. Its not an enbloc clip or nothing. Pretty easy though. Pretty fast with practice. Probably near as fast as changing a magazine. Maybe faster with some practice.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    I bought some from Cabelas a few years ago, and they seem to work okay. My SKS is over 40 years old (brought back from Vietnam - Russian made), but I assume that they all are manufacturered the same way.
    There is quite a few slight variants and things. Yugos do not have Chrome lined barrels. Some have Gas tube cut offs and Grenade launchers. A few had removable mags even... But.. primary action wise they are all very similar.

I have a Russian from 1953.

Beautiful Russin, cphilip. I just purchased a Norinco SKS with a milled trigger group and screwed in barrel. Couldn't be happier with it. Eventually I'd like to pick up one of those paratrooper length ones factory made to take AK mags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links