Defensive Carry banner

SKS ?

3K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  gopher 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of buying one and wonder if the stock rifle with the 10 round mag will accept the 30 rounders instead of using the stripper clips which I'm guessing that they use?Thanks. sj

#3 ·
I had one that would accept and feed from the detachable 30 round magazines reliably. Been over ten years ago, and I couldn't say what make or model, but I think it was around $69.95. I just prefer the AK now for the modular abilities.

#4 ·
the simonov is a great rifle. theres a reason its the first choice weapon for the limited budget sniper in almost every conflict the us has been in since vietnam. they're tough, reliable, and accurate. just go for a stock rifle and a few packs of stripper clips would be my suggestion. if its for hunting or defense i'd also look into some good optics. there are several aftermarket stocks for them(i'd look into tapco myself as they have the widest selection)

#19 ·
the simonov is a great rifle. theres a reason its the first choice weapon for the limited budget sniper in almost every conflict the us has been in since vietnam. they're tough, reliable, and accurate.
Only thing to add.... Keep it relatively clean. I once took care of a 16 year old who was shot by his younger brother when his SKS went full auto (and got away from him) because the firing pin stuck in the "out" position. Not pretty...

#5 ·
There were actually two SKS models (Both Chinese IIRC) that were built to accept removable AK mags.

However one that was not built that way often has trouble dealing with the conversion mags. And there is always stripper clips. They load fast.

Or... get an AK. The SKS is a tad (just a wee bit) more accurate and a nice shooter too.

#6 · (Edited)
RE:

Those tapco 20 rounders are great stay away from any other non metal ... I got a bucket of the cheapo 30's and 40's that whittled down to the advent of total feed failure.

If you're mounting a scope or red dot go with a replacement bolt cover mount, that has the little set screws on the sides...It’ll be oversized when you get it, so carefully file that puppy so its tight... You don’t need the set screws if you get it right and if it loosens up....you get the idea... oh yeah don’t forget a brass deflector if you're going over the breech..

Hope this helps a bit, my best sks advice from trail and failure lol

I can shoot postage stamp sized shoot n c stickers at 50 yrds with a 5 moa red dot all day, Good enough for me.

#7 ·
1. Go Yugo (Chinese are guranteed elbow greasers)
2. Don't try mags - they suck, most don't function, they jam, etc etc - think of a problem, and it's plausable with the SKS (Kept me from buying)

3. Go Yugo....

#12 ·
I bought some from Cabelas a few years ago, and they seem to work okay. My SKS is over 40 years old (brought back from Vietnam - Russian made), but I assume that they all are manufacturered the same way.

#16 ·
Just wish it was a non rearsenal but it is a fairly correct example even still with the original type of Artic Birch stock so I am pleased with it. It is a very mint gun. The guy I bought it from also has a real nice Norinco he was wanting to sell. I might have to pursue it too. But I have so many other things that take precedent to that since I have the Russian Izzy already.

#17 ·
I had one of the 16" detachable AK mag. ones. I think it was called a SKS-M. The only problem is that it won't feed hollowpoints that well and would only work ok with Chinese made mags and not a 20 or 30 rd. eastern bloc mag.

#21 ·
I just picked this one up
SKS in 7.62-39
modafided to take a AK 30 rd mag
no problem with FTFs
I have never had any use for a weapon like this
you can see from my other post that I own all
hunting guns and 2 side arms
BUT ,,,with the political and social climate
looking like it does ,I figgererd I might need
a little more firepower .

#23 ·
I use a Tapco 20 rounder on my Norinco and haven't had any problems, however I have only shot it about 100 times with that mag. I bought this mag at gun show because the seller said they seem to be the best. All of The 30 round steel mags I used sucked. I am leaving my Russian original with 10 round attached.

#24 ·
SKS Help

Need help here !!
I read this on U-tube
""and dont put a folding stock or telescope stock on a norico!!! in just found out and im mad!!!
clutchcrusher (2 weeks ago) Show Hide 0 Marked as spam Reply | Spam You can't put a folding OR a telescoping stock on a norinco? why not what give I have on and was looking for a folding stock, is there one that will work?
studmaster101 (2 weeks ago) Show Hide 0 Marked as spam Reply | Spam when i took my norinco in to get the stock put on, the guy said it was illegal. He said that the norico has to have a fixed stock..anyways he said if i had it and got caught i would go away for years
Tanikaze2 (2 weeks ago) Show Hide 0 Marked as spam Reply | Spam he lied.
studmaster101 (1 week ago) Show Hide 0 Marked as spam Reply | Spam the reason you can not put that on a norinco is because of the ATF law that states the norinco is a sporting rifle, not an assault rifle. if you put a telescoping stock or folding stock onto a norinco it classifies as a assault rifle. its illegal and you could go away for years."" :confused:

Can anyone tell me about this
statement .
Thanks ahead of time

#25 ·
Well... thats not exactly right... nor would it matter. There is no Assault Weapons ban in SC.

you do have to comply with 922r though. Anytime you change a listed part on an imported rifle (imported only because it has a sporting purpose and configuration) you subject it to 922r and must then make sure it has no more than 10 imported parts. Or change them until it does. Technically that is... mostly I don't see too many SKS's that bother to comply I am afraid to say. Most AK people are pretty aware of this.

But, thats kind of hard to read what you posted... but there is no Assault Weapons ban in effect in this state. There are some states have them. Not many.

#28 ·
i could have gotten an sks once w/bells and whistles cheap. i wish i had now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.