590 help

590 help

This is a discussion on 590 help within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok folks I will try to get a pic posted later but basically the question is this, My wife wont shoot my 590 anymore, period, ...

Thread: 590 help

590 help

Ok folks I will try to get a pic posted later but basically the question is this, My wife wont shoot my 590 anymore, period, even with birdshot, so is buying a knoxx recoil reducing stock even worth the effort, or should I consider getting a 20 ga shotgun and hope she will consider using it for home defense?

Ladies if you have any suggestions on what may be a better solution to this I would appreciate it as well, I dont even like shooting my 590 anymore but the other night when some strange things were going on around the property I was smart enough to know it was the most effective tool in the house.

So,, if you had $300 bucks what would you do, get the recoil reducing stock/ or go get a different shotgun that she may or may not like? (if I did buy the stock I would also be getting the ammo carrier on the stock so that would run me about 190-210 vs a new shotgun)

Worst case is she wont even shoot any shotgun, if so I still have $300 allotted to my shotgun fund, worst case is I just load up on buckshot again this year, any suggestions as far as 590 gear goes? I have an old bead sight on this guy now, the heat shield, it has the preAWB bayonette stud. Not really interested in a ghost ring sight system for this guy, so thats out.

I found a smoking deal on a ithca 20ga auto,now she begs me to go shoot. She shot my 12ga once and said not again!! If you could find an auto 20, I think that would be best!!! She would play (skeet,coke cans,paper punching) with #7 and if she ever needed it she would not notice #1 buckshot! If she is accurate a 20ga slug will stop about anything! My wife's hit to miss ratio skyrocketed after I put some stick on fiber optic rifle sights on it. my .02 Good luck
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The Knoxx "Spec Ops" stock will cure her recoil problems with the 12 G pump gun.

If you've never fired a shotty with one, then just imagine a .223 recoil out of 12 G 2 3/4 OO full charge OO Buck.

Good gear !!!
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Well, I would have the forcing cone extended and have Magnaporting- that should take care of at least 1/2 the perceived recoil. I have never tried the Knoxx product, but if its as good as most here say, it would be a wholly different gun, along with the porting & boring.

My little sister used to shoot a 12 gauge single shot when she was 11 years old...maybe she just isn't holding it right. I'd think with some 7/8 ounce loads it should be ok as is....

Austin

I'd get her a 20 gauge. While the knox spec ops is a truly fantastic piece of equipment, she's probably already made her mind up about a 12 gauge. The last thing you want is a little bit of doubt or hesitation in her mind when and if the time comes to use it. She'll quickly become confident with a 20.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Links