Budget HD Shotgun Choices

This is a discussion on Budget HD Shotgun Choices within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My old Stevens model 67 pump 12ga has given up the ghost; The bolt slams back every time you pull the trigger, and I don't ...

View Poll Results: Which "budget" HD shotgun would you buy?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mossberg 590/500

58 43.28%
  • Remington 870

67 50.00%
  • Other (Please describe in post)

9 6.72%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget HD Shotgun Choices

Budget HD Shotgun Choices

My old Stevens model 67 pump 12ga has given up the ghost; The bolt slams back every time you pull the trigger, and I don't think it's worth fixing (seeing as the finish is gone and I paid $25 for it in the first place). However amusing this may be, it seems unsafe. And although I have a Mossy 500 setup for skeet/trap, I want a dedicated defensive shotgun.

Budget is $250. I don't mind used in good condition.

Looking at a Mossberg 500/590 or a Remington 870, either with an 18-20" barrel. I want a side saddle and sling, a heatsheild would be nice but is not necessary. Debating on a light.

Which would you go for and why?

Thanks, guys!

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

2. Remove Ads

I answered Remington, but may have meant "other".

If you can find a good condition 870 in your budget, go for it.

I own and prefer the mossberg for HD.

The 870 will hold up better in prolonged training/field use/etc.

So my answer lies somewhere in between... but closer to the 870 perhaps.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Just found these:

Police Issued Mod 500ATP 12GA Pump Shotgun - Auction: 8523674 (Ends 03/16/2008, 05:50:11 PST)

Ultimate Home Defense Mossberg 500A Riot Shotgun - Auction: 8517288 (Ends 03/14/2008, 0521 PST)

My old Steven's:

By the way, the grip is not duct taped on. To make a long story short, the original stock cracked. In an effort to fix it, the internal threads that hold the stock on got all buggered up, so I JB-welded a helical insert in. I then sawed off the front end (pistol grip) of the stock, and bolted that on. The duct tape is just to cover the rough edge so you don't scrape your hand. About as redneck as it gets, eh? I wanted to shorten the barrel via dremel but I was told it's illegal here.
    It obviously doesn't see much service, but up until recently, it cycled fine.
    But the last time when I shot it, the bolt doesn't lock forward, and the recoil slams it back. It actually functions OK but I feel this is unsafe and I don't ever want to shoot it again. It's in sad shape and I need to replace it. No doubt about it.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Last edited by Pete Zaria; March 13th, 2008 at 01:30 AM. Reason: fixed pic
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I "would" / am going to buy a Moss 500. Simply because I'm a fan of the tang safety over the trigger safety. The 870 both have buku parts available, both have similar stock options, both are extremely reliable, both are extremely affordable.

Like I said, (it has been said by professionals too) - the choice is pretty much self preference. Shoulder both of them, and make your choice.

Charles Daly makes a good 18.5'' for about $190! (Might end up going with that)
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

I purchased a Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical a few years ago. I then replaced the stock fore end with the Surefire tac light fore end and an Benelli/H&K extended shot shell tube (7+1) It has a pistol grip with a 3 pt sling.

The cost at the time was $999 and it came with the Ghost Ring sights.

I use a Surefire laser on a barrel mount with the remote pad on the underside of the Surefire system. I'm practically blind in my right eye and the visible laser plays a large role in my abilty to place the shot pattern where I want it.

About $1950 total with the Surefire fore end and light and the Surefire visible laser and barrel mount.

I do have both an 870 and a Mossy 590, but the Benelli is my HD gun for now.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    When I was an LEO, a group of us ran across a deal where Calf. highway patrol was selling off a lot of there used 870 shotguns. We bought about 50 of them at about 150 bucks apiece. They were a little rough from being carried in the squad cars but they were shot very little. I refinished the shock on my and now it looks brand new...
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I'm an 870 fan because I've owned one forever and never have had a problem with it.

I honestly don't think you'd go wrong with either for HD. This is one decision that I'd prob leave up to price and availability when you're ready to "pull the trigger".....

Administrator
    The 870 is the standard to what all else is compared.

You can pick up an 870HD model for right around 300.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i'd go for the 500 simply because thats what i can fix with the most ease right now. i know the platform and have used it plenty. but realy it comes down to what you can get for the best price.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The 870 is the standard to what all else is compared.

You can pick up an 870HD model for right around 300.
    I think you'll find most folks will say this. I have a 590 Myself, Ive shot both guns and like them both. I just prefer the 590.

It's doubtful you'll be able to find a decent 870 for 250. Not impossible mind you, it's just that you may be in for quite a wait. For 250 I'd go with the 590. It's boringly reliable and tough as an anvil. They shoot great but have a massive kick when using 3" buckshot. If you stick to 2 3/4 00 buck they're fine. They also have the very un-politically correct bayonet lug. Each have their virtues but I just don't ever seem to see 870s going for 250 around here, and you can't go wrong with a Mossy so...yea, the 590.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I voted on the Remington. Likely this will be the one I go with when I get back into the shotgun thing. I don't think my favorite model of the Ithaca 37 is available anymore, and the Mossbergs are nice (with the fore-mentioned tang safety), but I just feel the amount of support and following of the 870 line would make aftermarket mods a bit easier to obtain, and go softer on the wallet in the long run.

Senior Moderator
    A budget HD shotgun is the Maverick 88 for around $200, maybe less.

I wouldn't run shotgun courses with it (it will run them but its not made to last for thousands of full power rounds), but it is a solid HD shotgun.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The only reason I have a Mossy is for the tang safety - easier for me as a lefty to operate. Otherwise, the most bang for your buck is a Maverick 88, which is a Mossy 500 with the safety in the front of the trigger guard.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I own an 870 and have owned the 500. Both are extremely reliable. The Mossy is like the Craftsman tool line. you can beat the snot out of it and it keeps working! 870's are getting a bit pricey and yes, used are available if you can find one. Mossy's are everywhere. Mercalf has a good point with the Charles Daly. It's under $200 and it too is reliable. A friend in Florida has had his Daly in the field (Ocala National Forest) about 200 days per year for the last 3 years (shooting every day) without any malfunctions.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links