*Official DC AR15 picture thread*

This is a discussion on *Official DC AR15 picture thread* within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is mine...

Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: *Official DC AR15 picture thread*

Here is mine

Talk's cheap and I ain't buying any.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Streaker. It looks good. Details, Details.

Here are mine:
    Stag Model 2

Stag Model 2 (accessorized)

Rock River Varmint 20"

Del-ton upper, chrome barrel and bolt, float YHM handguard
    RRA lower

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Streaker. It looks good. Details, Details.
    Thanks !!!

It is a POF-USA piston upper with their Predator Rail system. It comes with their upper / bolt CROS plating. Suppose to not need lube. Lower is a Rock River with match grade trigger. Magpul stock. EOTec 512. I replaced the sights with Troy's after the picture.

Have heard lots about the durability of the Patriot guns, I cleaned / inspected, and then proceeded to put around a thousand rounds through it with out lube. The bolt and upper receiver hardly looked like it had been shot. No failures. Just pulled the piston and rod out and cleaned. I was very impressed. I did lube it after though. Can't get that out of my blood.

Small Arms Review did a 1000 round Beta Mag dump and it ran great. M16 didn't get past 300 rounds before melting the gas tube.

Have read else where on durability. Can't speak for those, but my own experience has been extremely positive.

Check out their web site POF-USA Patriot Ordnance Factory, Inc.. My gun is posted there in the customer gallery.

Different from M16's and AR's that I have been issued or owned.

Update, here is the pdf from SAR
    http://www.pof-usa.com/articles/P416Torture.pdf
    Round count was 264 rounds before failure on gas tube gun.
    Last edited by Streaker; September 24th, 2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Add link from POF site about SAR 1000 round test

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Streaker View Post
    Small Arms Review did a 1000 round Beta Mag dump and it ran great. M16 didn't get past 300 rounds before melting the gas tube.
    Someone forgot to tell Noveske that.

-B

Here is mine

Nice AR. I'll have to check these folks out as I'm on the market for two piston AR's. What ammo are you having good results with?

Believe it or not, I have had great success with the Wolff and Brown Bear ammo. The gun seems to gobble everything I put into it.

Also used Winchester white box when it was cheap.

Was using the English stuff when it was cheap too, but am holding onto it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Well I posted some pics earlier, but I'll post them again. The tax stamp cleared and it arrived at my dealer last week so I got to play with it a little bit. The dealer has to keep it for now until the second tax stamp clears.

9mm, integral supressor, new in the box !! As used by the DEA's "clandestine lab enforcement team". I'm really really really eager to try it out.
    My buddy is an SOT and we use the M16 9mm in our F/A classes. He didn't have too much success with the Colt magazines so he had some UZI magazines modified and now the gun works great! Just an FYI. Uzi Mags are super cheap right now. Check out UziTalk.

Is it a suppressor or a silencer?

I can't look at these big scary rifles any more. They should be banned.

Damn, I wish I had one.

BAC

-B

My buddy is an SOT and we use the M16 9mm in our F/A classes. He didn't have too much success with the Colt magazines so he had some UZI magazines modified and now the gun works great! Just an FYI. Uzi Mags are super cheap right now. Check out UziTalk.

Colt ran out of their original mags and recently set up c-products to make new mags. I just ordered a few at $17ea. Seems like a great deal since original colts were well over a hundred bucks. I found uzi mags as low as $13, but even owning a machine shop, it's not worth it to disassemble, slot, reassemble. Sure I'll do it at some point just to say I did, bu $17 for a teflon coated mag is a win in my book.

I'd say it is a supressor, but BATF says it is a silencer. It's rated for 35dB attenuation, so it may well be darned silent!

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post

-B
    A suppressor relies upon the round to make it subsonic . There will still be a sonic crack from the round when fired, except from a .45 which is subsonic already.

Suppressor have chambers burns off the gas that cause the boom as the burnt powder that comes into contact with the atmosphere. Kind of like a muffler on a car. That's also why they get so hot after a couple of magazines.

A silencer usually incorporates a pre-determined series of holes drilled into the barrel in conjunction with baffles to bleed off the gas of the round as it travels down the barrel. Which cause the round to become subsonic. That way you don't have to worry about what round you fire in the gun. You are not limited to subsonic rounds.

The only reason that I know this is because I have a friend who worked in the industry for some of the big name suppressor and firearms manufacturers. He learned me.

Sorry if this is kind of blabby, but I love this stuff and love to share what little bit of information that I know!!!

Shizzlemah, that is one super cool bad ass looking piece. Plus it has a CDI factor of x1000. Much much much cooler than my FA Uzi and Gemtec. Plus you can redeploy the lower to any platform. My guess is that yours is a silencer. Sweet and congratulations!!!

Streaker, this is a supressor by your definition. It does not have any internal venting, just a regular barrel and a baffle stack.

By my limited understading - the conventional barrel design relies on subsonic ammo : typicaly 147gr at 1010 - 1030 FPS.

There are other designs with vented barrels designed to bleed off some gas while the bullet is in the barrel. Those designs don't let the bullet get up to speed - so you can use 115 or 124gr ammo and it will still come out at ~1000 FPS.

The difference comes in muzzle energy. 147gr x 1000 FPS = 326ftLb
    115gr x 1000 FPS = 255ftLb.

Of course the latter will be subsonic with any ammo, but the former will only be subsonic with dedicated loads. A tradeoff, like everything else.

But can you clue me in on what a "CDI factor" is? I'm thinking 'cool drool initiator' ? :-)

I'm building this as a repro of the DEA CLET model 635SD, and it should be a real hoot when it's together. Using a RLL, and debating milling my own upper so I can engrave it as a '635SD' or similar.

BAC
    A suppressor relies upon the round to make it subsonic . There will still be a sonic crack from the round when fired, except from a .45 which is subsonic already.

Suppressor have chambers burns off the gas that cause the boom as the burnt powder that comes into contact with the atmosphere. Kind of like a muffler on a car. That's also why they get so hot after a couple of magazines.

A silencer usually incorporates a pre-determined series of holes drilled into the barrel in conjunction with baffles to bleed off the gas of the round as it travels down the barrel. Which cause the round to become subsonic. That way you don't have to worry about what round you fire in the gun. You are not limited to subsonic rounds.

The only reason that I know this is because I have a friend who worked in the industry for some of the big name suppressor and firearms manufacturers. He learned me.
    I have never heard that description before. Gemtech, Knight's, and Surefire all call theirs "suppressors" (even the integral ones), while AAC calls all of theirs "silencers"; no rhyme or reason that I can tell. Our friendly ATF calls them "firearm silencers" and "firearm mufflers", defining them as "any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication."

Shizzlemah, CDI = "Chicks dig it."

-B
    Last edited by BAC; September 25th, 2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: (information update)

Links