*Official DC AR15 picture thread* - Page 25

*Official DC AR15 picture thread*

This is a discussion on *Official DC AR15 picture thread* within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Cool pictures. I just never understood why people add vertical foregrips to a non select fire model? I guess its ergonomic for some or something. ...

Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
Like Tree287Likes

Thread: *Official DC AR15 picture thread*

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Cool pictures. I just never understood why people add vertical foregrips to a non select fire model? I guess its ergonomic for some or something. The fore grip is suppose to mitigate and reduce muzzle raise during a rapid fire engagement. I always opted out of carrying one on my battle rifle in the sand box. Im more of a grab as far forward almost to the FSB just short of where the barrel comes out from the shroud.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

There are many more reasons I use one than auto fire. Actually, when I run a full auto rifle or am moving quick in semi I use the vert grip as more of a handstop. Most of the guys I shoot with, work with or just see out that are serious shooters run some form of a vert grip, everyone from current to ex SF to just serious shooters. The only ones I see any consistency of running without a vert grip are 3 gunners.

For me, it doesn't have as much to do with control of the weapon as it does consistent hand placement (outdoors at noon to indoors at midnight during a power outage my hand lands in the same place) and gives me a lot of control around barriers whether that's against a door frame, around or over a car, resting on a ledge, etc. Also, I run lights always and quite often I'm running PEQ-15's (a couple friend's have them and I borrow one when we're doing low light classes or even hunting hogs and coyotes) and the vert grip makes quite a difference for me.

Having said that, when my LaRue index clips came in, I decided to do without a vert grip or pressure switch for my light on my 10.5" for a little while, but I can already see why I prefer them.

I use mine as more of a handstop. Keep in mind that 14.5" rifle has a 12.25" rail.

Here's a good thread on m4carbine about the benefits of a vert grip. Of course they're not for everyone, but a lot of us see the utility in them with auto fire being low on the list, even for those carrying full auto capable rifles.

The Utility of VFG's - M4Carbine.net Forums
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    I like my vertical grips. I tried nothing, I tried the Magpul AFG and just didn't like it (though I love it on my pump shotgun). I grip the vertical grip with my left hand but keep my thumb on the left side of the handguard and kind of wrap it up and slighting over the top. Only my lower three fingers are on the grip with the top finger resting on the bottom rail. I think vertical grips are plenty useful. For me it's ergonomics. I destroyed my wrists when I was younger skateboarding. The pop and crack and they're just weak. I can't shoot a traditional style rifle for very long before it bothers my wrists. The least I can do is my shotgun with an AFG. I also have an AFG on my 10/22. It's a comfort thing for me.

I recently took the Romy vertical grip off my AK, but that had to do with mag changes being more difficult. I'm still playing with the idea of adding a stubby vertical grip, but I"m really liking the way it looks as it is with no vertical grip. I can always grip the magwell of the AK if I need to.

My first AR: M&P 15 Sport. I'm lovin' it!

my ar 1.jpg

my ar 2.jpg

RKM
    I'm half temped to get an M&P15 Sport lower just for the integrated trigger guard :P

My two new AR builds.
    The lower one is 5.56 the upper one is 22LR. A few months ago I decided to build matching AR's
    a few of the big factors why I did this is that 22 ammo is cheap, the range I belong to only allows static shooting
    with rifle calibers, where as 22LR is fine in the pistol bays, there for I can move and shoot all I want. I am not as familiar
    with the AR platform as I am with AK's so this will allow me to develop the muscle memory needed for the operating of the AR.
    I also compete in USPSA with pistol, and wanted something to compete with in the rim-fire steel challenge matches, this will also give me
    good trigger time behind the AR. I will be shooting the 5.56 allot but will have to travel a bit further to a public range.

The 5.56 I used a Sun Devil lower it has a PSA LPK I also went with PSA 16" upper
    it as a Magpull trigger guard and a Magpull BUIS, Troy Ind. quad rail, Sure fire light
    and Luccid red dot optics and a Badger Creek charging handle. I use MilSpec mags

The 22LR I used a Sun Devil lower, it has a RRA LPK. The upper is a dedicated Tactical Solutions 22LR
    It also has a Troy Ind. quad rail and a Luccid red dot and Badger Creek charging handle extension.
    I am using BlackDog mags.

They both have single point sling mounts, not shown are the slings.
    had to give the EDC some camera time as well. G30

Your thoughts?

"Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

updated skin

U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

RKM
    Slowly evolving into what I'm wanting it to be. Just got a New Aimpoint C3. Loving it! I opted for the flip-up kill-flash. I don't use the kill-flash for it's intended purpose, obviously, but it seems to help the dot be a little more visible on very bright days. It's mounted in a lower 1/3 co-witness mount. However, it's more like a lower 2/5's mount. It still serves the "lower 1/3" purpose. I took off the TLR-1 in favor of a Streamlight Polytac in a VTAC mount. I love the TLR lights, but I could never find a way I liked to mount it to my AR. It always seemed "odd" no matter where I mounted it.

I get glared at when I pull up the the range in my Evo. It's loud and has lopey idle. Ah well. My two favorite things together.
    Last edited by OD*; August 15th, 2012 at 11:48 AM.

Stag model -1
    Daniel defense ff rail
    Troy Ind. battle sight
    VTAC sling
    Attached Images
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

004.jpg004.jpgMy Stag w/ Nikkon M-223 BDC scope.

My "Coyote Lov'r"......

now with some surefire added

finally recieved my plates as well

U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Kind of an AR pic...

DefConGun likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

My T1 is gone as of today. and this will be on my doorstep shortly.

U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor

I gotta get some better pic's of mine to post. Much has changed since my original pics back in Jan.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Noveske/BCM/Troy/Magpul

Links