*Official DC AR15 picture thread*

This is a discussion on *Official DC AR15 picture thread* within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by munch520 I spoke with Monty a few times when I was sourcing the parts for that but he was too busy. High ...

Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: *Official DC AR15 picture thread*

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    I spoke with Monty a few times when I was sourcing the parts for that but he was too busy. High Caliber Sales built that upper and Kevin at HCS is amazing to work with. They're located in Crane, IN and his business partner used to work for NSWC. Blanks are from Douglas and I heard that Gene Barnett still turns the barrels for HCS. Pretty close to the real deal
    True MK12's are turned down by Compass Lake (at least they better be, as I've been saying this for a couple years or so) which is what Mony offers. Monty (Centurion Arms) was the first, and only for some time, to offer these barrels. High Caliber Sales, if m not mistaken, now has the same barrels as Monty, which are true to the MK12 Mod 1.

Either way, I'm sure the performance is excellent and I will eventually have one.... Just like the 12.5" I keep talking about. Some day. I hope. Maybe.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Hahaha, wut? Are you making fun of my Tapco stubby VFG!!!!! Hahaha.
    Sir... I certainly am making fun of the Tapco fore-by-4-grip. I know some, like the Tango Downs I use, have storage for batteries. Rumor is, the Tapco has room for a couple MRE's, or at least a spare vert grip or two.

:D
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    True MK12's are turned down by Compass Lake (at least they better be, as I've been saying this for a couple years or so) which is what Mony offers. Monty (Centurion Arms) was the first, and only for some time, to offer these barrels. High Caliber Sales, if m not mistaken, now has the same barrels as Monty, which are true to the MK12 Mod 1.

Either way, I'm sure the performance is excellent and I will eventually have one.... Just like the 12.5" I keep talking about. Some day. I hope. Maybe.
    Oh I thought Compass reverse engineered the barrels. I wonder if Gene works for Compass?

Trying to remember when I was told this...I think it was by Kevin/Alan at HCS. Alan, as I understand it, was one of the primary guys on the MK12 project at NSWC.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post

First is an eagle arms AR-10 RRA 2 stage trigger Super Sniper 16x42 mil-dot scope,(2)RRA lower 20" stainless match barrel RRA2 stage trigger and simmos 6-24x42 scope,(3)RRA Tactical Entry 16" Eotech holosight quad rail,(4)PWA lower 11.5"A2upper 5.5" flashhider 6 position stock
    Simply Awesome!
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

RKM
    Sir... I certainly am making fun of the Tapco fore-by-4-grip. I know some, like the Tango Downs I use, have storage for batteries. Rumor is, the Tapco has room for a couple MRE's, or at least a spare vert grip or two.

:D
    Hehe, it's a bit chunky, you're right. I actually pulled the rubber bottom out of it to make it even shorter. My problem with the more expensive VFG's is... that they're more expensive. WAY more expensive. And I honestly don't see what the advantage is. I had the Magpul RVG for awhile because it was cheap. I just couldn't get into it. The way the top curved in made my fingers bunch together uncomfortably. I took a chance on the Tapco, despite that it's a Tapco. If I gripped it with my thumb wrapped around underneath, like the typical grip on a VFG, it does feel awkward. Actually my pinky will slip off the bottom, like a pocket pistol. But with my thumb wrapped up over top, like the new cool way to grip a VFG it works perfectly! A stubby grip for $25. Can't be beat in my opinion. It's not a barrel. It's not an optic. It's not a bolt carrier. It's not a trigger. It doesn't have to be reliable. If it were to fail (don't see how it would) then.... who cares? Plus, if can store MRE's, so what's there to complain about! I will admit, the Tango Down and LaRue FUG look so much better!

But for now, the AFG is winning... until maybe next week.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    ... I took a chance on the Tapco, despite that it's a Tapco. ... A stubby grip for $25. Can't be beat in my opinion. It's not a barrel. It's not an optic. It's not a bolt carrier. It's not a trigger. It doesn't have to be reliable. If it were to fail (don't see how it would) then.... who cares? Plus, if can store MRE's, so what's there to complain about! I will admit, the Tango Down and LaRue FUG look so much better!
    Don't sweat it.

I'm a professional field service mechanic (heavy equipment). My service truck is 90% Harbor Freight. A lot of time the el-cheapo Chinese crap works, and works well.

EDIT - speaking of waffling...I'm still bouncing back and forth on the Centurion MK12 upper and standard DMR. I know, all the talk about "Why take the downside in quality for only a couple hundred dollars", except that I've already blown my budget on this project, and I still have an optic and BUIS to deal with.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Oh I thought Compass reverse engineered the barrels. I wonder if Gene works for Compass?Trying to remember when I was told this...I think it was by Kevin/Alan at HCS. Alan, as I understand it, was one of the primary guys on the MK12 project at NSWC.
    You could be right. If that's the case, I have a lot of editing to do!

Not sure I'll ever know, but if you confirm definitely hit me up! Either way, when anyone asks where to get the best and most authentic MK12 upper, HCS and Centurion are always my only 2 answers.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    That's a nice picture, munch; the one in mid-extraction
    Thank you! Credit goes to Canon EOS 60D and my wife's photography skills. Here's another I managed over the weekend. I think this is during feeding

Not sure I'll ever know, but if you confirm definitely hit me up! Either way, when anyone asks where to get the best and most authentic MK12 upper, HCS and Centurion are always my only 2 answers.

Thank you! Credit goes to Canon EOS 60D and my wife's photography skills. Here's another I managed over the weekend. I think this is during feeding

Nice RVG handstop. Here is my hand at it.

Sent from up range, at about 3100 fps
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by GlockRacer View Post
    Nice RVG handstop. Here is my hand at it.

Sent from up range, at about 3100 fps
    Good stuff. Anything can be done with a Dremel!

DD MFS rail delivered today for a LW Middy build. Definitely like the feel of this

Added SOPMOD and TD stubby. Surefire 556-212DE should be in shortly. I'll get some pics and vids up once I get the brake installed/fit the suppressor.

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

You guys make me feel like the village oaf seriously.

I like tuh shoo my rock riva
    ws76133 likes this.

Just saw this article from SWAT in Augusts issue about HCS, may shed some light on it...

Surefire brake installed

Surefire brake installed

Just got mine in yesterday. Waiting on my barrel from Centurion then the MK12 mod Sticks - AKA
    "Just another precision rifle " [Jon Consiglio] build begins.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Links