AR gurus, help me build my AR

This is a discussion on AR gurus, help me build my AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, here is what I'm looking for, and can't seem to find: 1) Top quality manufacturer, price is no object (within reason - no gold ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR gurus, help me build my AR

VIP Member

AR gurus, help me build my AR

OK, here is what I'm looking for, and can't seem to find:

1) Top quality manufacturer, price is no object (within reason - no gold plating or diamond studded receivers...)

2) 14.5-16" bbl, chrome lined, 1:9 twist

3) Carbine length gas system and hand guards

3) Flat top upper with no front sight (that is, a rail mount system on the gas block)

Noveske and LMT only seem to offer 1:7 twist, and I prefer the 1:9... RRA makes absolutely every make and model, but I'm not sure they're in the same category as Noveske and LMT... So, you builders, retailers, and assorted gurus out there, help!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

FWIW, I think you are too hung up on the 1:9 vs. 1:7 twist. The 1:7 will stabilize anything the 1:9 will and has the advantage of stabilizing heavier bullets as well.

Also, I saw a few DEA-contract rifles from RRA that had no end of problems. My experience with RRA had always been favorable up to that point, but these issues lead me to believe that RRA (like so many other manufacturers) may be becoming a victim of there own success. Time will tell, but I would have reservations about buying a RRA with so many other options available.

Were I looking for a rifle with your parameters (minus the rifling issue), the Noveske 16" Recce would seem to be ideal.

VIP Member
    I'll be shooting a lot of 55gr rounds, and nothing heavier than 62gr except maybe in very small amounts. I don't need 1:7, and I think it's a bit too much for the 55 grainers... That being said, I know 1:7 will work, but I'm looking for ideal... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

OPFOR; Check out DPMS; they have exactly what you are looking for, because that is what I bought from them a couple of years ago to replace my original "bidness gun". I topped the gun off with an Eotech sight and haven't looked back....

Essentially the gun is a carbine-length gun with a chrome lined 16" bull barrel; Stock is regular length and configuration. The gun shoots like a .22 magnum, very controllable. You can light someone up in a hurry with this gun. the only other mod was to get a Chip McCormick drop-in trigger kit which helped immensely. I think the gun itself ran for around $775.00 brand new. Trigger kit was about $175.00 and the Eotech was around $500.00.

Hope this helps
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Two words for ya....

Stag Arms.

It's the cat's behind when it comes to AR's.
    Why do you own a fire extinguisher when you have the fire department to protect you?

I figured you would probably be shooting a lot of 55-grain ammo when you spec'd the 1:9. Most of the 5.56mm I send down range on my nickel is 55-grain as well. However, I do not consider having the versatility to shoot the heavier bullets a bad thing.

My Noveske is grouping under 1.5 MOA with Federal 55-grain TRU, when I do my part. If the situation requires better performance than that, a change in platforms is probably called for...

Also, I misread part of your original post. The Recce has a mid-length gas system. The N-4 Low-profile Carbine has a carbine-length gas system and would be a better match for what you want.

BAC
    Since you mentioned top quality, I submit Sabre Defense for your review. Specifically, the Sabre Defense Flat Top Carbine; I believe Sabre Defense is sold exclusively through themselves (if you're willing to wait) and Talon Arms (if you want one in the near future).

Sabre Defense will not disappoint.

-B

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ZW17 View Post
    Two words for ya....

Stag Arms.

It's the cat's behind when it comes to AR's.
    When did that happen?

I like the RRA for a reasonably priced AR. There are some other more spendy AR's out there, but I'm not sure if the added cost can be justified in a battle rifle. Perhaps if I was buying for competetion, but not for a SHTF type of weapon.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    OPFOR,

Call Noveske and see if he will do an N4 with a 1:9 for you. He changed some of the items on one for me.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

1:9 is fine and I'd go that route again. I shoot a 1:9 in my match gun (20"HBAR) on the 600yd course using 69gr Sierras 70gr Bergers. No problems at all. 80grainers, well I could have been more effective throwing them by hand !!

This is the company that built my AR. Most people outside of competition shooting have ever heard of them, but they are fantastic. They have most everything you are looking for, and they are sexy rifles to boot. Tons of options, reliable, and tack driving accurate. My rifle from them has shot a .35 inch group with good ammo. You may not like them, but I figured I would at least suggest them. I would put them on par with Noveske and LMT, but thats just me:

JP Rifles

They have three models of AR-variants
    1. CTR-02: Fully custom competition rifle
    2. JP-15: Semi-custom
    3. JP-15/V-TAC: Law Enforcement Model

And heres my JP-15:
    Attached Images
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

CMMG Inc(.com) is where I got my upper. I'm very happy with it.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Another +1 for Rock River Arms. Absolutely no probs with mine, been thru 2 tactical courses with it, no hiccups or probs using mixed ammo. Mine is a Mid-length btw.

SY

OPFOR,

Because of where I live, I don't own an EBR, however, when my Dad wanted to buy one, I used this thread from another Board as a start.

I don't know that all of the Specs he mentions are necessary but I found his review of several models toward the end of his many posts to be very helpful. You may have seen it, but if you haven't, you might find it useful. I look forward to seeing what you get.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links