Here is my new AK.

This is a discussion on Here is my new AK. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; mech1369 has AK build/mod experience & good advice. With the WASR, I would say, contrary to what some would have you believe, you can polish ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here is my new AK.

mech1369 has AK build/mod experience & good advice. With the WASR, I would say, contrary to what some would have you believe, you can polish it up some.

Get on the ak forum at ar15.com. Not always the most receptive crew, but you can find good info. Warrior talk.com also has a good AK board.

Personally, I opened up the rear sight notch with a 1/8" round file, and replaced the front sight with an XS 24/7. Most of the accuracy complaints I've heard regarding AKs can be remedied by improving the sights and not using the supplied cleaning kit. At the least use a Hoppe's Boresnake, better/best would be a basic Otis, or similar pull-through cleaning system.

If you get into the DIY work, you can Dremel the rough edges off the safety and gas tube retaining latch and use a little cold-blue to touch them up. Enjoy it, they're fun little rifles!

2. Remove Ads

Nice job on the wood treatment! Too bad the forearm doesn't have the nice grain the butt stock does. Lookin' good. When ya gonna shoot it? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Nice job on the wood treatment! Too bad the forearm doesn't have the nice grain the butt stock does. Lookin' good. When ya gonna shoot it? :)
    Hopefully this weekend, I can't wait.

An Ultimak gas tube replacement will work well for a red dot but NOT a scope since you probably won't find a decent scope with a 12" eye relief that will allow you to mount it that far forward.

You should manipulate the safety several dozen times before bending anything. The detent on the lever will score the receiver and it will eventually be smoother. If you bend it, you will just have a loose lever when it does work itself in...

You can get Russian scopes here--> POSP is best russians sight.

or here--> AK Optical Brackets and Mounts-Tantal's Source

With the second site, Doug is a really nice guy. Make sure to look at the links at the top for different scopes and red dots. I bought a PK-AS from him and it was very nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links