Saiga alternative?

Saiga alternative?

This is a discussion on Saiga alternative? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With AK prices on a steady rise how many of you all would consider a Saiga as an alterative? Read some stuff (mag conversions/pricey mags) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saiga alternative?

Saiga alternative?

With AK prices on a steady rise how many of you all would consider a Saiga as an alterative?

Read some stuff (mag conversions/pricey mags) on here about them as well as a Saiga forum. I can get them around here for mid 300s compared to AKs for mid 400s (hardly ever in stock) and most being high 500s.

Any one in here have one?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Zero - I did a bunch of research last month on the Saiga - my son almost bought one. He went with a 9mm carbine instead but was just about to pull the trigger (so to speak) on the Saiga. NIB is very affordable and I've heard good reviews. Those I know who own one say it goes bang every time and is fairly accurate at 150 yards.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for input sniper58.

I went ahead and picked up a new 7.62 Saiga today. It was very affordable, especially compared to what the Romy’s and Yugo’s are going for around here and much better finish too. With the money saved I can do many alterations.

I’m hoping on getting out this week to try her out.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Great! Please keep us posted with your range report. Enjoy!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Get yourself a Choate stock, and look what you'll get! :)

GunBroker.com guns: 308 Saiga AK 47 Sniper Buy Now+3 25rd Mags (item: 94901336 ends: Mar-21-08 0622 PM)

Dunno who sells them anymore, but it's definately worth if the price is right...
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

mags for the 7.62 version are cheap... look up moulder master mags, ATM they are ~ 10 to 15, same as any other AK mag... and they don't need a bullet guide.

With those you only need to swap out the gas piston to a US piston...

CDNN and ioinc.us have them...

Mo

Bought a Saiga 2 weeks ago, finished the conversion last week. Paid less than 3 bills for the gun, plus less than $100 for conversion parts and I have a BRAND NEW AK straight from Russia, complete with the cyrillic markings. No dimples, no threaded barrels but I can handle that. Off to shoot it this weekend.

Im probably going to pick one up this summer (after a Ruger SP101), a couple of extra mags, and about a thousand rounds of ammo. I've heard good things about them.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Mo View Post

Bought a Saiga 2 weeks ago, finished the conversion last week. Paid less than 3 bills for the gun, plus less than $100 for conversion parts and I have a BRAND NEW AK straight from Russia, complete with the cyrillic markings. No dimples, no threaded barrels but I can handle that. Off to shoot it this weekend.

Man that looks great!!! Congrats...Range report asap PLEASE!!!!
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Looks great Mo. Mines still a "plain jane", paid 3 bills which I feel is still a deal for what I got. I will be doing some similar conversions soon too. Was the trigger job as simple as everyone says it is?

I’m dying to get mine out and give her a go. Been super windy lately, hoping for friday.

Let us know how yours shoots. What are you going to run through it? I was shocked at the cost of wally worlds white box Winchester. Guess it is time to order 1000 rounds of Wolf. I’m confident it will eat it….it is a Kalashnikov.

VIP Member
    I had a .223 that was converted by Tromix. I simply cannot get used to the AK platform- but it was everything you could want in an AK and more. I'm looking at picking up one of the shotguns though. I may not be able to run one like I can an AR- but it is faster than an 870!
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I thought Saigas were made by EAA....did someone buy them out?
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Looks great Mo. Mines still a "plain jane", paid 3 bills which I feel is still a deal for what I got. I will be doing some similar conversions soon too. Was the trigger job as simple as everyone says it is?

Im dying to get mine out and give her a go. Been super windy lately, hoping for friday.

Let us know how yours shoots. What are you going to run through it? I was shocked at the cost of wally worlds white box Winchester. Guess it is time to order 1000 rounds of Wolf. Im confident it will eat it.it is a Kalashnikov.

It wasn't super-easy but it only took hand tools, mostly a dremel. I had a bit of trouble drilling and tapping the trunion for the bullet guide, but I've never cut threads in anything before. If you've ever done it, it should be a breeze for you.

And yep, I'm running Wolf through it. I'll definitely post a range report.

Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercalf View Post
    I thought Saigas were made by EAA....did someone buy them out?
    EAA is an importer. I guess they lost their rights to import these, because Russian American Armory is doing it now. Saigas are made by Izhmash, a company founded about 100 years ago by Alexander I to make guns for Mother Russia. It's the factory that true russian AKs come out of, which I think makes the Saigas pretty special. As far as I know it's the only form of a true Russian AK available in the US.

Mo
    Had the day off so I took the Saiga out to the range. Started at 25 yards and was amazed at the accuracy. 10-shot group in about 3 inches, about 2 inches to the right of center. I brought along a punch and hammer, so did a little windage adjustment and shot another group and was dead center.

Took it to the 50-yard line and set up a silhouette with two 3-inch Caldwell orange peel targets, one on the chest and one on the head. I put 10 shots into the lower target and got a group about 5" center to center. Took my time on the head shots and got all 10 into a 4" group.

This was with Wolf 124 gr Military Classic FMJs. I couldn't be happier with this one, especially when I compare its accuracy with my 223 AK. I can barely keep that one on a paper plate at 50 yards.

It was cold out so I didn't shoot more than about 50 rounds, taking my time to sight it in. Ran everything without a hitch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links