Help me choose a rifle..

This is a discussion on Help me choose a rifle.. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking at buying a rifle. I dont want it for hunting just want to have an "assault" weapon before we lose them after this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a rifle..

Help me choose a rifle..

I'm looking at buying a rifle. I dont want it for hunting just want to have an "assault" weapon before we lose them after this next election. I'm used to the M4, but with all these rifles comming out its a harder decision. I am overseas for the next 9 months so it will be a while, which also means hopefully some others will come out. Here are the ones I am looking at:

Bushmaster ACR
    H&K 417
    FN SCAR
    Sig 556
    M4

Are there any others that would be worth a look at? I want this to be my one and only rifle...So I want to say cost isnt an option, but inevitably it will be. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Cost not a factor H&K 417 all the way ---cost a factor a tricked out M4 or AR-10!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    If you can find and HK 416/417 or an FN SCAR on the civvy market, let me know!

Other than that, I'd stick with an M4 of some kind. As much as I hate to say it (I love my Sig pistols), the Sig 556 doesn't seem to live up the Sig name. I don't know anything about the ACR other than what's on their website. I do know that you can build any type of M4 you want, and can modify, accessorize, customize, and super-duperize it in unlimited combinations. That, coupled with your familiarity with the system, would put it at the top of the list in my book - unless you just want something different for different's sake (not that there's anything wrong with that!)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

H&K PRO had 416 uppers listed at $2500.00 yesterdy That blew my mind!! I wonder how much the lowers are running?? Scared to know!!

WTS HK 416 Uppers--$2,500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I have access to several HK 416 uppers (14.5" and 10.5") at a good price. The uppers will be available for $2,500 delivered. Sights are available for $250 for standard and $300 for front folding.

There are a couple of catches, though...

1) I don't have these in hand and although I expect fairly quick delivery, I can't make any guarantees on timing. I will need 1/2 funds up front and the remainder prior to delivery. If for any reason I am unable to provide you with the uppers, you will receive a full refund.

2) you need to be a member here to participate.

3) this buy will close on 3/20/08 and only a limited number of spots are available.

If interested, email me your contact information and barrel length preference at the below address.

A3Enterprises@Live.com

Jake

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    Hmmmm.... On the front page of HKPRO is this:
    3.14.2008: HK DEBUTS CIVILIAN 416 AT IWA, THE MR223! AS NEWS BROKE HERE LAST YEAR OF THE CIVILIAN LEGAL RIFLES FOR GERMAN CONSUMPTION, THE MR223 IS DISPLAYED WITH A FACT SHEET THAT SAYS THE GUN WILL ACCEPT STANDARD CAPACITY MAGAZINES. THE FOUNDATION IS BEING LAID FOR CIVILIAN LEGAL 416'S IN THE UNITED STATES, AND SEEMS TO BE PROGRESSING NICELY.
    Dated three days ago...

I wonder where that poster is getting (note that he doesn't have them yet) his uppers...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Did you read his responses in the parts section he did mention grey area!!!

VIP Member
    Sorry, I'm not paying $2500 to be in a gray area!

I'll wait on the MR223 civi version They should be over here by Oct.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I'll wait on the MR223 civi version They should be over here by Oct.
    Dont hold your breath.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Buy a nice LMT package. I would personally stay away from the Sig. I would assume the Hk could take a while.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

what about an AK-47...not much for long distance accuracy, but it's a cheap and reliable rifle.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    I'm looking at buying a rifle. I dont want it for hunting just want to have an "assault" weapon before we lose them after this next election. I'm used to the M4, but with all these rifles comming out its a harder decision. I am overseas for the next 9 months so it will be a while, which also means hopefully some others will come out. Here are the ones I am looking at:

Bushmaster ACR
    H&K 417
    FN SCAR
    Sig 556
    M4

Are there any others that would be worth a look at? I want this to be my one and only rifle...So I want to say cost isnt an option, but inevitably it will be. Thanks in advance.
    Kind of defeatist attitude, but...

The FN and H&K I'd pass on. Doesn't make much sense to me banking on "maybe"; at least you KNOW the [s]Masada[/s] ACR is coming. The SIG did nothing to impress me. That said, an M4gery or an ACR would both fit the bill (this coming from someone who tried very hard not to like the Masada and who had high hopes for the SCAR).

Your mileage may vary.

Edit: Actually, jhuntsman might be onto something, but I'd switch the numbers. An AK-74 (the 5.45 caliber) might be a really good investment right now; better ballistics, softer recoil, and MUCH cheaper ammo that there is certainly no shortage of. Hm...

-B

I'm surprised no one has brought up the LWRC yet. Piston-driven like the HK, half the price. And it's been on Future Weapons...

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post

Bushmaster ACR
    H&K 417
    FN SCAR
    Sig 556
    M4

all of those seem to be really good picks , there seems to be a serious ammo shortage for .223/5.56 nato and .308/7.62 nato these days , even though i handload primarly , i will be looking at ammo and componet avalibility before i buy my next rifle , just something to really think about before you buy ....?

I dont really like the Ak. I had an SKS and gave it to my little brother. I would also kinda like to stay away from 223, but it seems like almost all semi-auto rifles are in 223. I have been gone from the states for a couple of months now. What is the cost of the 223 compared to the 7.62x39? Im starting to lean away from the Sig after reading how most people dont really like it. I really like the H&K but really cant see dishing out the money for an "improved" M4. I know it is gas piston operated like the AK and SKS. The truth is that when I was at Blackwater we had an instructor use his M4 with about 1000 rounds a month and never clean it. He just oiled it well after each session and I think it lasted him 10 months before he had a failure. I really like the M4 it's a good little gun. Acurate as hell, and can take an abuse. I am really debating getting a 223 if the cost is that much. I mean I just bought a V8 before i left and now gas is about 3.28 per gallon...Its starting to get pretty old

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links