Another help me decide on a rifle thread!

This is a discussion on Another help me decide on a rifle thread! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tax return has come, and the economic stimulus "rebate" will be here before long (in the sum of 1,800), so its time to buy a ...

Thread: Another help me decide on a rifle thread!

Another help me decide on a rifle thread!

Tax return has come, and the economic stimulus "rebate" will be here before long (in the sum of 1,800), so its time to buy a rifle. Now I need to buy my wife a new laptop computer out of that, so I am in the market for a new rifle that I will be able to afford. (FINALLY!!!).

I am looking for something in the 7.62 x 51mm (.308 win). The rifle needs to be accurate at distance (a minimum 300 plus yards), and an autoloader is preferable. Price needs to be under $1500.00.

So, AK's are out, but AR's are in the mix still. Any and all suggestions considered.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    M1a Nm.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Moderator
    I would go with an M1A or a DSArms STG58
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Though a shade out of your price requirement, this one makes me slobber all over my keyboard.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

If it doesn't HAVE to be a semi - allow me to present: http://www.berettausa.com/product/ri...rrentseries=25 It will out perform any bolt .308 under a grand. FN nuts will say otherwise, saying to look for a used FN, but Tikka has stepped the game up. Take a look at some reviews.

As far as semi is concerned. There are a few options here. 1. Your AR's, and your CETME HK 91 clones, and similar. By similar, I mean there are a bunch of manufacturers of the HK 91, OR you can go with the ole G3: GunBroker.com guns: Indep G3 HK91 .308 package with Z24 scope (item: 94877239 ends: Mar-21-08 02:51:44 PM) Either of these options will take you out to 600 yds cleanly. Now, if you want to put in some major trigger time, and fine tune yourself a mean machine - you'll want to check out these: Socom, M1a/M14, etc.

Personal opinion, I left the .308 game a while ago - but there's no subsitute to the bolt action. You'll ESPECIALLY want yourself a bolt action when considering shots over 300 yards with a .308. As much as anyone wishes to argue the point, accuracy IS lost in semis. With a light powder load backing the .30 cal in the .308, you're already pushing yourself. Granted, people hold accuracy in NRA competition - keep in mind these people have put thousands into their AR's, and they're still punching paper with extreme loads. Combat shots are rarely over 100 yds, and AR's are not meant for anything beyond that (granted they're capable, you want something that was built to go the distance)...

For a parts purpose in semi - go with the AR or HK 91 (24'' barrel minimum). For straight up accuracy, get yourself a bolt (and SAVE some $$).

Of course, if you're willing to spend 1500 on a BOLT gun, there are more options than you can shake a stick at. Look for a BBL, or heavy barrel to keep rifle movement down, invest in a Nikon scope, possibly chrome lined barrel, synthetic stock, and barrel deresonator (limbsaver makes them, brought my groups down 1/4'' alone). Out of personal experience, I'd stray from Remingtons and Savages unless you plan on hunting and NOT target shooting. I haven't shot the Tikka, but the reviews are all positive thus far. Reviews led me to the Weatherby, and I'm anything but dissapointed with it (I said in a thread that I'd sooner sell my kidneys than my baby), I shoot .300 Wby, but that rifle has gotten me 12 shots on a quarter at 100 meters - WITH factory loads...

/2 cents
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

I like my good ol' M1A.

M1A/M14 or FAL... perfect fit of the bill.

DPMS LRT-SASS. That's out of your price range, so imo, go with the plain jane DPMS 308. I'm totally sold on them!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Okay, after some discussion with wife, it is now down to a good bolt action rifle, Accuracy at distance is the key!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Okay, after some discussion with wife, it is now down to a good bolt action rifle, Accuracy at distance is the key!
    The Ruger M77 models are a pretty inexpensive good bolt gun.

Although imo, you should still look at the AR10 style .308's. A lot of them hold sub-moa groups, so you get the accuracy of a bolt gun with a 20 round semi-auto rifle.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    My .02: I see a funnel with all of your options going into the hopper. With each of your "needs," the list of rifles falling to the bottom of that funnel is getting smaller. I think .308's are fine, but I shoot a .30-06 with incredible accuracy and power out to just shy of 400 yards. If you want a flat shooter with a big energy payload, I suggest you seriously consider the .300 Weatherby Magnum. It's more powerful (velocity and energy, muzzle and downrange) than the Remington Ultra-Mags and the other .300 magnums and the rifle itself is available in the Vangard model from Wal-Mart for less than $500. Yes, the Vangard is made by Howa which is not a bad rifle in itself, but the Weatherby sure doesn't shoot like a standard Howa!

I agree with the Nikon scope. I shot Redfield (now Simmons) forever and thought it was OK. My Redfield broke and I switched to BSA and was not disappointed. Then I got a Nikon. WOW!!!!!! Super clear and crisp, no parallax, no issues AND, available for $199 from Cabelas!

The .308 is a good paper-puncher at long range. It loses too much energy for long range hunting. The .270 is a good flat shooter, but has it's distance limitations. I love my .30-06 (I get 1.2" groups at 300 yards), but the .300 Wby. is in it's own class. Start reloading for it as factory ammo is iffy with accuracy and definitely HIGH priced! PM me if you want more.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Links