Need help buying my first shotgun

This is a discussion on Need help buying my first shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I am in the market for a shotgun to shoot clays at the local range and around the parent’s farm. I have been looking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help buying my first shotgun

Well I am in the market for a shotgun to shoot clays at the local range and around the parent’s farm. I have been looking at a Remington 870 but not sold on it yet. What do you guys recommend for a good setup? Pump/auto, Chokes, Barrel length??
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

while an 870 is a proven weapon i prefer the benelli m2 ...
    cuz sometimes autos are finiky on ammo
    choke is dependant on what your shooting , mod to open on clays and mod to full and or xfull on turkey . but for hd i like a mod
    pluis you can get a benelli for around 270 around here

d
    proud to be an infidel

What about those Winchester X-2 and the X-3?? They look really nice...I don't really know much about clays other than it's great to watch. I used to dove hunt a lot when I was younger but never shot any clays.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Administrator
    870 is hard to beat, a semi I suggest a Beretta 3901, if you want a step up get a 391.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The reason why I said 870 is becasue of the price. I would like a semi but don't know if I have that much money to spend. What barrel legnths should I look at? im guessing the longer barrels are better for shooting clays.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    The reason why I said 870 is becasue of the price. I would like a semi but don't know if I have that much money to spend. What barrel legnths should I look at? im guessing the longer barrels are better for shooting clays.
    From a velocity standpoint and for maneuverability in the field, a 24"-26" barrel is more than adequate. The biggest advantage to the longer barrels is a longer sighting plane.

From a HD standpoint, a pump is hard to beat. Utterly reliable firearm to stake your life on. For target shooting though, I still like the autos. For sessions where you may fire 100+ rounds, your shoulder will appreciate the recoil absorbing properties of the auto. There are several good autos to choose from depending on your likes/dislikes and budget. My current main hunting/target shotgun is a Benelli SBE.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    What kind of "clays" are you wanting to do? In skeet or sporting clays, you want something that swings well, so a 24" or 26" is most likely a good bet. Trap guns will be a little longer.
    I typically buy a 28" barrel, as I'm just a hobbiest and like to shoot all three games once in a while, plus take the same gun to whack birds in the fall.
    You can find a nice 3901 for right around 600, same as a wingmaster.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by dhelmuth View Post
    while an 870 is a proven weapon i prefer the benelli m2 ...
    cuz sometimes autos are finiky on ammo
    choke is dependant on what your shooting , mod to open on clays and mod to full and or xfull on turkey . but for hd i like a mod
    pluis you can get a benelli for around 270 around here

d
    +1 For the Benelli

-1 For price reference....ARE YOU SERIOUS??

For sport - GET A SEMI. For HD, get a pump 870 or Moss 590.
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

Quote Originally Posted by Mercalf View Post
    -1 For price reference....ARE YOU SERIOUS??
    Yea, I kind of figured that must be a typo. If anyone can point me to Benelli M2s for $270 bucks, I'll take a dozen of 'em.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    If you are looking for a pump shotgun...the 870 has SOOOO many accessories and gadgets available it is hard to beat. Plus you don't get a more reliable pump shotgun...and they can be found used even cheaper..
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

yes im serious

270 out the door at a local shop
    benelli m2 with 20" barrell 3" chamber
    all black
    last i knew they had 4 still setting there

the shop is called midwest gun exchange
    in so bend in
    proud to be an infidel

Quote Originally Posted by dhelmuth View Post
    270 out the door at a local shop
    benelli m2 with 20" barrell 3" chamber
    all black
    last i knew they had 4 still setting there

the shop is called midwest gun exchange
    in so bend in
    Don't know anything about Indiana, but only thing I could find on Google for Midwest Gun Exchange was on Lincoln Way West, Mishawaka, IN. Could this be them? And if so, are you sure you and I are talking about the same shotgun? M2 Tactical is a semi-auto Benelli that's selling all over Gun Broker and Guns America right now for at least $1000.00.

If we're talking about the same gun, please let me know if I have the right shop as I want to call them.

Thanks,
    Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I would find it very hard to believe that you can find an M2 for $270. Maybe, you are talking about a used Benelli Nova? If that is the gun that you are talking about I would take the 870 over the Nova. The 870 is a much more reliable weapon. Other pumps to consider would be the Browning BPS or maybe a used Ithaca Model 37. They are both very well made and reliable.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    For target shooting though, I still like the autos. Hoss
    Perhaps you are correct, but to me the working of the pump has been half the fun, especially when shooting at more than one target on a throw.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Perhaps you are correct, but to me the working of the pump has been half the fun, especially when shooting at more than one target on a throw.
    Don't get me wrong, I LUV pump guns. I shoot a Model '97 Winchester for Cowboy Action Shooting and the first gun I ever bought (at 13) was a Western Auto 16 ga. pump. I'd give anything to have that gun back. It's just that when we get to playing around shooting clays it's not unusual to fire 100+ rounds and then my old shoulder sure appreciates the auto.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links