.223 Vs .308

This is a discussion on .223 Vs .308 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 308 because like others have said I want it to pull double duty. Set up as a sniper rifle, it would also be great for ...

View Poll Results: If you one black gun what caliber would it be

Voters
304. You may not vote on this poll
  • 223 I am a civilian

133 43.75%
  • 308 I am a civilian

101 33.22%
  • 223 I have combat experience

34 11.18%
  • 308 I have combat experience

36 11.84%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .223 Vs .308

308 because like others have said I want it to pull double duty. Set up as a sniper rifle, it would also be great for collecting game.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Set up as a sniper rifle, it would also be great for collecting game.
    Unless your game weighs less than 50 lbs... Then you have a big, heavy, unwieldy rabbit/squirrel pulverizer...

Also, set up as a sniper rifle, how effective do you think it will be for self defence at across the room (or even across the yard) ranges? Knocking down an elk at 700m is great, but is that what you're going to use your one and only rifle in a SHTF scenario for most often?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I voted .223 simply because i am assuming we are talking about a fighting (bidness) gun....

My bidness gun is a DPMS carbine with 16" bull barrel topped with an Eotech sight and Chip McCormick competition trigger that breaks around 3 lbs like glass rods.

The rounds I use are 55 gr. ballistic tips, or Hornady TAP 55 gr rounds when I can get them. i figure those rounds ought to work real well on the prospective BG.

If I have occasion to be out in the wild, though, I will turn to my Savage scout rifle in, you guessed it - .308.........

That rifle wears a C-more....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

.223 & Civie...

Price per 1K on ammoman for the cheap stuff:

.223 Wolf $269.00
    .308 Wolf $378.00 (currently unavailable)

FWIW... I'm considering an AK/MAK or SKS... 1K 7.62x39 $189!!!

"...how effective do you think it will be for self defence at across the room (or even across the yard) ranges?

I think it'd work a treat but then I'm leaving it "straight" and not set up as a "sniper" rifle.

Besides, a .223 would be a rabbit/squirrel pulverizer as well.

I know, I'm an old geezer.

VIP Member
    I've shot a BUNCH of little "varmints" of undetermined origin in A-stan, about the size of suburban squirrels. Plenty of meat left on 'em...Yum! Of course, a 62gr, FMJ penetrator round isn't going to do much yawing/tumbling/expanding in a critter that weighs under a pound!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have seen a 55gr .223 take out a bunny from about 15 feet. Pretty much a quartering away shot that pretty much exploded the insides out the opposite shoulder. Big, ugly cavity where the front quarter used to be attached. The rest of the meat was perfectly tasty. Keep in mind that this was from about 15 feet.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6 View Post
    If you identified the intended use, it would be easier to offer an opinion.
    Thanks I do know that different calibers do specific things better than others. I should have been clearer I did not give a specific use intentionally as I am looking for input on what you all think would be the better all purpose AR round. General AR use as in, SD, HD, meat hunting and some varmints coyotes mostly, SHTF and zombies. Basically do what ever you want an AR for
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Hmmm...Afgan squirrel, wonder how good that is. I like Texas squirrel and so does my wife.

If I had to do only one it would be .308 for general all purpose use. Yeah, you can't carry as much ammo (although I know a couple 240 gunners that will disagree. :p), but it will reach out further and penetrate barriers a lot better than 5.56.

Never got to use .308 in combat, but was around those that did. Was no comparison when it came to penetrating houses and stuff like that.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    My first job in the Ranger Bn was as an EB ("Everything Bearer") on an M60 team. My basic load was 800 rounds of belted 7.62N (on top of the tripod, spare barrel bag, and everything else a Ranger carries, of course). If I complain about how heavy the ammo is, you can see where I'm coming from... You can carry a lot, but it ain't no fun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hmmm...Afgan squirrel, wonder how good that is. I like Texas squirrel and so does my wife.
    I woldn't do so far as to call these critters squirrels, they were more akin to small gophers. Lived along rocky river banks and creek beds in little tunnels. We'd stake out a nice spot with a few hundred meters of clear shot down the river, and wait for them to come out of their holes... At more than 100m, a hit on a 4" x 4" target that may move on you is fairly tough with a stock M4, but the good news is that these critters were dumb - if we missed, they'd just move a few feet and stop for a while again...

Oh, and they taste pretty bad, but I'm not a huge "game" eater to start with...

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Thanks I do know that different calibers do specific things better than others. I should have been clearer I did not give a specific use intentionally as I am looking for input on what you all think would be the better all purpose AR round. General AR use as in, SD, HD, meat hunting and some varmints coyotes mostly, SHTF and zombies. Basically do what ever you want an AR for
    Fair enough.

I would opt for .223/5.56mm for the reasons stated earlier by OPFOR.

I am a non-combat experience civilian.
    I selected .223 for the _exact_ same reasons that OPFOR stated.

I prefer .308 but to my mind .223 makes the most practical and functional sense if I were stuck to have just one rifle only.
    The .308 round is great but the benefits that come with a .223 based AR platform outweigh the benefits of the .308 round.
    If the rifle selection were not to include AR format though such as say a Remington .223 pump rifle then I would choose .308 for sure.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

been an A-gunner myself before. 800-1000 rounds of 308 plus the basic load is quite a haul weanwhile i can with fair ease carry 800-1000 rounds of .223 plus my basic load. not to mention that 5.56 is quite capable with less risk to the guy clearing the next room.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links