.223 Vs .308 - Page 3

.223 Vs .308

This is a discussion on .223 Vs .308 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went with .223. Cheaper ammo and mags, less recoil for my broke down body to absorb. Jack...

View Poll Results: If you one black gun what caliber would it be

Voters
304. You may not vote on this poll
  • 223 I am a civilian

133 43.75%
  • 308 I am a civilian

101 33.22%
  • 223 I have combat experience

34 11.18%
  • 308 I have combat experience

36 11.84%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .223 Vs .308

I went with .223. Cheaper ammo and mags, less recoil for my broke down body to absorb.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    If I'm only allowed one, it's gotta be .223 (5.56x45, actually). .308 is a great caliber, but it's just too dang heavy. If I lived in mountain lion country it might be different, but if the SHTF, the biggest thing I might have to use my rifle on is a human, and .223 will do just fine for that. Being smaller, lighter, less recoil, and with a smaller, lighter rifle as well are all big plusses.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

When you need to reach out and touch someone...

Stay armed...at home...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I voted for .223 Remington (specifically 5.56 x 45). At close range, the 5.56 is quite capable for my needs (close to intermediate up to 200 yards). Plus, as a home defense weapon, the 5.56 really can't be beat, as each member of my family can handle it without any difficulty.

I have practical experience both in combat with the 5.56 and in carbine classes. As much as I love my .308 (7.62 x 51) chambered rifles, the current expense of surplus ammunition means I'm keeping what Australian and Portuguese ammunition I have as a "rainy day" stock. I've gotten my reloading costs of 5.56 down to about .13 cents per round, so I'm a bit happier.
    Last edited by JayHawker45; March 20th, 2008 at 02:38 PM.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I went with .223 due to ammunition capacity, both in the magazine and carried on the person.

It worked for me for 8 years in the Army with the M16A1 and M16A2, it works for me on duty with the no-name AR15 carbine and my 6-magazine "go bag", and it works for me at home with my Colt AR15A3 and a dozen mags.

Yes, .308 turns most "cover" into concealment.
    Yes, .308 has a longer effective range.
    Yes, .308 has far more energy.

But .223 is plenty enough for what I need it to do, which is to deal with a handful at most of un-, poorly-, or moderately-trained armed knuckleheads at close to intermediate range.

Let's face it, if you're going up against Spetsnaz, Delta, the Chinese Red Army, or even the Lower Slobovian Auxiliary National Guard, you are SCREWED anyway. Even if you COULD have weapons superior to theirs, there's a lot more of THEM than there is of YOU.

(assuming, of course, that you don't have Bubba's Bombers close air support on speed-dial....)

Actually neither. 308 kicks too hard, 223 kicks too little. 7.62x39 black AK. Uuuummm. Just right.
    ďLaws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

I have one of each but for knock down power and accuracy and longer range
    I prefer the 308
    for control and quicker target acquisition I would have to go with 556

LMAO, seems anyone who ever had to lug 800 rounds of .308 feels the same as I do, I love .308 but if I can only have one EBR .223 gets the vote mags are easier to come by, and I have lots of them already.

PS opfor,, what you do in rip that made them slat you EB possition?

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I voted .308, but that is assuming I could afford an adequate amount of ammo for practice and stockpiling. My reasoning is that I want it to do double duty as a deer rifle, and I like to very long range capability. If is was for ONLY defensive reasons, I'd probably go with the 5.56, as the ammo is cheaper and the round has plenty of punch, especially if you've got HPs.
    I agree 100%. It is illegal to hunt deer or elk in Colorado with a .223, so if hunting is important and you could only own one, it would have to be a .308.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Unless your game weighs less than 50 lbs... Then you have a big, heavy, unwieldy rabbit/squirrel pulverizer...

Also, set up as a sniper rifle, how effective do you think it will be for self defence at across the room (or even across the yard) ranges? Knocking down an elk at 700m is great, but is that what you're going to use your one and only rifle in a SHTF scenario for most often?

I answer the question regarding only having one rifle. I presume, I would still be allowed to stash a pistol with that rifle.

SO, I think of it this way:

50 yards or less is pistol range, outside of 50 yards, give me a rifle, that will shoot sub MOA, and Iím very happy.

Sure, wheeling a heavy 8-lb sniper rifle around is difficult, but thatís what I learned with.

A few years ago, I had two custom feather weights Winchester 270 build, that including scope weigh under 7-lbs.

They shoot sub MOA, and I normally hunt deer and wild boar from stands that Iíve built a rifle rest into. Looking down power lines, and private roads, taking deer size game at 3-400 yards is common place.

Thinking about your statement, I think Iíll also stash a 10-22 Ruger rifle for small game.

Thanks,

I have both, a Ar 5.56 for close quaters, and a FN FAL to reach out and touch someone. Most 308 are larger than a AR and have more recoil, BUT 5.56 loses in the long range shooting. Just get both. I did not vote as youdid not have a both choice....
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    .9mm would be my choice because I am set up for reloading .9mm, my preferred handgun is the same caliber, availability, and cost. I'm willing to give up a little power for ammo consistency and price.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I picked .308, actually I like the 7.62x39

I like the 7.62x39 AK round. It is essentually in the same class as .308. It seems to be a popular bullet size (.308 .300 Win Mag, 30-30, 30-06...). That being said, my experience is limited, just looking at history of rounds.
    --
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southtexas View Post
    LMAO, seems anyone who ever had to lug 800 rounds of .308 feels the same as I do, I love .308 but if I can only have one EBR .223 gets the vote mags are easier to come by, and I have lots of them already.

PS opfor,, what you do in rip that made them slat you EB possition?
    I made out pretty well - the other RIPees that came to my Company went to Weapons Platoon and ended up humping mortar baseplates!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by dcunited View Post
    I like the 7.62x39 AK round. It is essentually in the same class as .308. It seems to be a popular bullet size (.308 .300 Win Mag, 30-30, 30-06...). That being said, my experience is limited, just looking at history of rounds.
    I don't know who told you the 7.62x39 is essentially in the same class as the .308 Winchester, but they are wrong. Same school maybe but definitely not the same class. It's ballistics are much closer to the 30-30. Not saying it is a bad round, just that it was not designed to do what the .308 was. In fact it is quite respectable in its role. But I would not realistically attempt shots with it that I can routinely make with .308
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links